This ATL, although a single continuous storyline, will at first be treated as several stories one flowing out of another. Due to the fact that this is an extremely extensive time line with multiple PODs I will not present it as a single file but as separate entries that one can follow without necessarily reading any of the rest. It may help to think of it as a textbook with separate chapters. All the sub-time lines themselves will be further split into sections for ease of reading, and at first will only be painted in broad strokes, details being added later as my research and writing progress.
- This is the outcome of all the events that happen during this timeline - a world created by Whims of Fortune, in what would be 2005 OTL.
Ancient and Classical Ages
- This deals with the Eurasian civilisations from the earilest times to the splintering of the Alexandrian Empire. Some sections are dealt with in more detail than others. This section serves as a setting for The Three Europes and Fortune's Darlings. Egypt, Babylon, Assyria, Persia and Macedon await inside. (?-OTL 300 BCE)
- Among all the places on Earth, Europe and its surrounding lands have always proved the most resistant to total subjugation even by the world's most powerful armies and most talented commanders. When the potential to come close to this goal is shown by a young republic in central Italy, Fortune intervenes and hands the laurels of Victory to its greatest rivals. They, however, never attain the heights that Rome may have, and as a result, when the Germanic tribes start moving West to crush the old world order, they find Europe divided into three civilisations, similar and distinct at the same time. The new conquerors, however, find themselves unable to overcome the ancient division.
- Since there is no Rome to unify the known world, it falls to Carthage, the resugent former Italian subjects of Rome, and the mighty Macedon to split Europe into three rough cultural zones, a division that persists long after the original Empires themselves crumble to dust. (OTL 300 BCE - 700 CE)
- This is the story of how the Western Continents were before the coming of the Europeans. Learn of native Empires, tribes and confederations, from the earliest days to the fall of the Mexica. Marvel at the legacies left by prophets and conquerors, and wonder why is it that Fortune smiled on some and not on others. (?-OTL 1000 CE)
- They were driven out of their homelands by the fierce Xiong-Nu and chased into a remote and barren region of the world. There, they found themselves occupying a power vaccum left by the retreat of the most sophisticated civilisations of the day. They took these peoples' traditions and mixed them with their own, tiressly and inventively synthesising to produce one of the most influential cultures on the continent. Then, when the hordes of the enemies once again appeared on the horizon, they stood on the brink of destruction. Yet Fortune spared them - and would spare again them many times to come.
- The Kushan State, centered around the main corridors between China, Europe and the Middle East, is ever open to the nomadic tribes that sweep across the continent every so often. Still, they always cling on, persist, and rise to new ascendancy in the modern world - truly Fortune's darlings. (OTL 300 BCE - 21st c. CE)
- Follow the histories of the two peoples, born from the ripples of the many waves of nomad tribes that swept from the East into Europe over the centuries. They survived the wrath of the world's greatest and most ruthless conquerors, filled the power-vacuum that formed when the Eurasian nomads exhausted themselves, and by the whim of fate became the ultimate rulers of the largest state in the world.
- This section of the ATL deals with the history of the Rus and the Bolgar states, their separate origins, their mediaeval union, and their common trials and tribulations to the present day. (OTL 600 CE - 21st c. CE)
- A great King had unified his ever-factitious people to withstand the greatest threat his country had ever faced. The previous conquerors from faraway Africa had been few and their hold tenuous; now they vanished like snow in spring. The new enemy was numerous and, if not stopped, would replace both the people and the culture of this ancient land with something foreign. Few don't know of his story of great self-sacrifice and greater achievment.
- Arthur was forever to be known as the King who laid the foundation of a united Prydain, and stopped the expansion of the foreign invaders. Here's his story and the story of the country he created. (OTL 400 BCE - 21st CE)
- There is no peace or rest for the Children of Israel, but even in the fierce battle for life that is this world, they manage to snatch moments of glory, especially when they manage to convince other nations to take up their ways. Two great Empires arose in Europe, the Caucasus and the Middle East, claiming to be the heirs to David's and Solomon's legacy. One was crushed by warlike Northerners, and one grew so great it made the world tremble until it too, was humbled.
- Follow the story of the two greatest Empires that ever professed Judaism as a State Religion - The Khazars and the Seljuk Turks, from their rise to their fall, and the modern countries that arose where they once stood. (OTL 500 CE - 21st c. CE)
- Atlantia, land beyond the great sea. Land-hungry and wealth-hungry, driven by thirst for glory or gold or knowledge, or spurred onwards by religious zeal, Europeans have long sought it. With them they brought knowledge of how to build, how to mine, how to make war; how to draw borders and maintain a state. As they fought each other and the natives of this land for new territory, the latter learned these lessons through blood and sacrifice, before finally starting to reverse the trend.
- This is the story of the colonization of the new world - but bloodier and less one-sided than our own. (OTL 1000 CE - 21 st. c. CE)