Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Video Games are an interactive form of entertainment that uses specially designed consoles that run via a television set or computer monitor. Since the 1970s, Video Games are one of the largest forms of entertainment in the world, with major game developing companies being located in Japan, the US, UK and France.
One of the first major companies that is seen as the Father of Video Games, is the Californian-American company Atari Inc. Formed in the mid 1970s, Atari created the first major home video console, the Atari 2600, released in 1977, it is seen as one of the most popular video game consoles of all time.
- Pong (1972) A simple tennis game that was made as a aside project by Atari
The 1980s led to the Video Game Crash of 1983, destroying the North American gaming market after Atari went bankrupt after numerous failed consoles. This allowed various companies in South Japan to take over the nearly-dead video game industry in 1984, when Nintendo released the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) in 1984, leading to the Japanese dominating the Video Game Industry for most of the 20th century.
- Super Mario (1984) Generally seen as the NES's killer app, revitalising the North American video game industry upon its 1984 release.
- Legend of Zelda (1986) Another major game by Nintendo, starting the long lasting fantasy game series, the release of the game is also seen as a huge technical achievement, being the first game that allowed players to save their progress.
During the 1990s, Nintendo found a rival in the form of a fellow South Japanese company, Sega. Sega and Nintendo have been dukeing it out in what has seen as 'The Console Wars'.
- Fallout (1997) Set in a 1950s-punk version of the future (inspired by the aesthetic design of the 1950s and old pulp magazines), the Fallout franchise takes place in the year 2161, after a 3 hour nuclear war between Russia and America end up reducing the world to an immense wasteland. The player takes control of a character of their own design to save their Vault (a large underground bunker designed to hold approximately 1000 people) from running out of water. The game is set in the former Pacific North-West, on the US-Californian Border.
- Deus Ex
- Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (2007). Set in the near future, the award winning FPS takes place during an uprising that overthrows the German government with an Ultra-Nationalist regime that uses twisted version of de-Gaulleism. The story is seen from the viewpoints of multiple characters as the 2nd German Civil War causes the world to begin slipping into an unavoidable World War. The game is a part of the highly decorated Modern Warfare Franchise.