Venice or the Most Serene Republic of Venice is a survivor state located in the ex-region of Friuli Venezia-Giulia and Veneto.
When the bombs fall in Italy, Rome and Aprulia were bombarded. Other minor missiles hit the NATO Base of Ghedi in Lombardy and the Back Yard base in the province of Verona.
The provinces of Vicenza, Belluno, and Verona were heavily irradiated, meanwhile the President of the Republic have convocated the prefects of the province of Venezia, Rovigo, Padova and Treviso to create a militia for protect the people, most of the region was lost, and the bombs have caused at least 500,000 - 1.000.000 of death.
During the Winter of 1963 upwards of 100,000 people died, and lack of food caused a semi-famine. The Venetians were able to keep people fed thanks to the fishing industry. The following spring of 1964 the crops were abundant and famine was all but eradicated.
The Most Serene Republic Is Reborn
On the 10th of July, 1965, the ex-President of the region Angelo Tomelleri was elected new Doge of the Republic, by a newly erected Senate of the Republic. The Doge proceeded to create the Venetian Armed Forces. Soon patrols came into contact with the ex-region Friuli-Venezia Giulia. Tomellieri proposed a union with the Veneto. The Most Serene Republic of Venice was brought into official status on the 10th of July, 1965. A symbolic and religious ceremony was held in Palace Ducale, where the Doge's office and official residence is. The Republic adopted the old flag and the coat of arms of the Republic of Venice, a symbol of Liberty and Justice for the Venetians.
Expeditions and Fear of the MafiaThe decade following 1980 was a time of stability and peace in Venice, though little was known about the surrounding countryside. Until a ship bearing the flag of the Republic of the Holy United Crown docked in the port of Venice. The crew convinced the Venetians they were friendly and a democratic state, successfully deceiving the Venetian Authorities. More ships came, claiming to be merchants, though they concealed a small invasion force below decks. On the 20th of August, 1980 the Neapolitan soldiers have launched Operation Campoformio, named after the treaty between the Republic of France and the Austrian Empire during 1797, when the French dissolved the original Republic of Venice. The Venetians were caught off guard when the Neapolitan forces attacked. The Battle for Venice began. The Venetians were barely able to hold the Republic for two months. The Neapolitans were defeated and in retreat, but this victory came with casualties upwards of 5000 militiamen and another 500 wounded. The Neapolitans had low casualties of 500 soldiers and 50 wounded. After this the Republic was in a state of tension and fear of the Mafia.
In the subsequent years the Republic has made contact with the Alpine Confederation, San Marino, Sicily, Sardinia, Italian Republic, Tuscany, Roman Republic. They have also installed military bases and settlements in Istria and in Dalmatia. Many Venetian politicians have plans to annex Istria and Dalmatia which were under the banners of the Most Serene during it's Gold Era.
Bill of Venice
Formally and according to the Bill of Venice (Carta di Venezia) the governance is organized as such :
- Doge of the Republic, elected by the Senate, every ten years, the current Doge of the Republic is Angelo Tomellieri.
- Prime Minister, nominated by the Doge. The Prime Minister and their government is responsible for the administration of the Republic, the current prime minister is Luigi Tartari.
- The Prime Minister appointment his collegio, with the suggestions of the Doge and of the Major Council.
- The Doge cannot hold office in any other branch of power, and the office's salary and privileges are established by law.
- The Senate is a unicameral system and is the legislative body of Venice. It is composed of ninety deputies elected by direct universal suffrage every five years.
- The Major Council can proclaim and in special case vote the laws, they must be countersigned by the Doge and Prime Minister. Is composed by 50 members elected by the Senate.
- According to the Bill, any citizen that is fifty on the day of the election, and enjoys civil and political rights, can be elected Doge by the Senate.
- The Minor Council is the authoritarian body who supervising the actions of the Doge with power of Veto
- The Council of Ten is the supreme body of the Republic, with authority over all government actions. Elected by the Senate every year.
The political parties of the Senate of Venice are :
- Venetian Communist Party (Partito Comunista Veneziano) a anti-fascist party and a leftist party : 20/90
- Venetian Democratic Party (Partito Democratico Veneziano) a liberal and a rightist party : 35/90
- Venetian Nationalist Party (Partito Nazionalista Veneziano) a nationalist and a far-rightist party : 35/90
The Most Serene Republic of Venice is divided into provinces and communes. The Provinces are in the charge of a Prefect, named by the Doge, who is in charge of all aspects of the state administration and public order. The chief magistrate of a commune is a Podestà, elected by the citizens of a city or in special case by a prefect. He was assisted by a Municipal Consul, composed of five councilors named by the Mayor. Venice has a Podestà, elected by the Citizens, assisted by a consult of ten councilors named by him.
The Most Serene Republic of Venice has a mixed economy system. Though traditionally the Venetian economy has been dominated by agriculture and tourism. Venice suffered much damage from the war, and has a surplus of labor at the moment. Education, banking service, security service, telecommunication, transport, health care, social security and access to cultural resources are under the control of the state.
The Venetian economy is based heavily on agriculture, naval industry, hydro-power and electric energy, light manufacture, viticulture, fishing and shipping.
The Venice is energy self-sufficient producing energy from hydro-power.
Health care is free and accessible for all the citizens of the republic, funded by the state through general taxation and direct revenues collected by local health, through prescription charges and other chargeable services.
Most major cities have a hospital or a general hospital. The smaller cities or the villages have a Local Health Office (L.H.O.) (Italian: Uffici Sanitari Locali (U.S.L.))
Schooling is required by law, and free, compulsory education is obligatory until the 18 years of age. The Venetian school system is divided into three stages of education :
- Primary education, which includes the kindergarten for three years and primary school, five-year.
- Secondary education, which includes the secondary school level (Middle school) for three years, and the secondary school of second degree (High school) of five-year duration.
- Higher education, including the universities, the higher education in art, music and dance and vocational training.
The city of Venice, Trieste, Gorizia, Pordenone, Udine, Padova, Treviso, Gorizia and Rovigo have some universities. Venice has an officially sanctioned military academy, and a officially sanctioned naval academy.
In the republic, the official news agency is the Agenzia Stampa Veneziana Associata (ASVA). The most read newspapers are the Corriere della Sera, the Repubblica, the Sole 24 ORE, the Messaggero, the Gazzetta dello Sport, Tuttosport and the Secolo XIX. There are no restrictions upon the press based on religion or other factors.The Radio Televisione Veneziana (RAV) is the property of the state. There are only a few private radio stations, though television and radio are fairly common and popular.
The Venetian Army (Armata Veneziana) is a armed force made up of volunteers. All citizens of 18 years can serve in the Armed Forces for 18 months.
WeaponsThe Venetian Armed Forces are equipped with M1 Garand, M1 Carabine, Carcano M91, MAB-38 and Beretta BM-59 as main rifles, with the Beretta M34 and Beretta M35 as sidegun, they have also use the MG 42/59 and the Breda M35 as squad weapons.
Armed Forces :
- Venetian Army (Armata Veneziana) : 55,000 Military
Internal Security :
- Venetian Police (Polizia Veneziana ) : 10,000 Policemen