Tsarin Sophia I of Russia (Queen of Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia), Denmark, and Greece, was the consort tsarina of Kiril II, as he was married with one of his sons, Prince Pyotr. It was the first Tsarina of Russia that was not the wife of the monarch. was born in Psychiko, Athens, Greece on 2 November 1938, the eldest child of the King Paul of Greece (1901–1964) and his wife,Queen Frederika (1917–1981), a former princess of Hanover. Queen Sofia is a member of the Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg dynasty. Her brother is the deposed King Constantine II of Greece and her sister Princess Irene of Greece and Denmark. However, since the abolition of the monarchy, the royal titles are recognized by the Dutch Monarchy and the Danish Royal Family, and, of course , by the Russian Monarchy.
Early life and family
Princess Sophia spent some of her childhood in Egypt where she took her early education in El Nasr Girls' College (EGC) in Alexandria, then went to South Africa during her family's exile from Greece during World War II. They returned to Greece in 1946. She finished her education at the prestigious Schloss Salem boarding school in Southern Germany, and then studied childcare, music and archeology in Athens. Sofia also studied at Fitzwilliam College, Cambridge a constituent college of the University of Cambridge.
Queen Sofía is both a great-great-granddaughter (paternally) and a great-great-great-granddaughter (maternally) of Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom and is, through several lines, her husband's third cousin. She is a first cousin of Ernst August of Hanover, and through her great-grandfather George I of Greece, she is a second cousin to Charles, Prince of Wales. Through Christian IX of Denmark and Queen Victoria, she is also related to Elizabeth II and thereby related to all the royal families of Europe. She is also a first cousin once removed of Elizabeth II's husband, Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh. Queen Sofia is of Hohenzollern descent through her mother, Frederica of Hanover, and through her paternal grandmother, Sophia of Prussia, and of Romanov descent through her father's paternal grandmother, Olga Constantinovna of Russia.
Marriage and family
On 15 May 1963 she married Prince Pyotr Alexandrovich of Russia
The couple have three children: HIH Vladislav (1966),HIH Alexander (1968), and HIH Vanina, Imperial Infant of Russia (1972), the girl and youngest daughter of the marriage being the only having the title of Infant.
He abdicated as Tsarina in 2012 with the entronization of Tsarina Sigrid I of Russia who was 28 years old at the moment of the ascension to the throne.
(Empty until someone can find the Russian Empire System of Honours)
- Belgium: Grand Cordon of the Order of Leopold
- Brazil: Grand Cross of the Order of the Southern Cross
- Denmark: Knight of the Order of the Elephant
- Ethiopia Dame Grand Cross of the Order of the Queen of Sheba
- France: Grand Cross of the National Order of the Légion d'honneur
- Germany Grand Cross Special Class of the Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany
- Iceland Grand Cross of the Order of the Falcon
- Italy: Grand Cross with Grand Cordon of the Order of Merit of the Italian Republic
- Japan: First Class of the Order of the Precious Crown
- Luxembourg: Lady of the Order of the Gold Lion of the House of Nassau
- Mexico: Collar of the Order of the Aztec Eagle
- Morocco: Special Class of the Order of the Mohammediya
- Netherlands Grand Cross of the Order of the Netherlands Lion
- Norway: Grand Cross of the Order of St. Olav
- Poland: Order of the White Eagle (Poland, 2001)
- Portugal: Dame Grand Cross decorated with Grand Cordon of the Order of St. James of the Sword
- Portugal: Grand Cross of the Order of Christ (Portugal)
- Portugal: Grand Cross of the Order of Prince Henry
- Romania: Grand Cross of the Order of the Star of Romania (2009)
- Slovakia Grand Cross (or 1st Class) of the Order of the White Double Cross (2007)
- Sweden: Member of the Order of the Seraphim
- Thailand: Dame Grand Cross of the Order of the Royal House of Chakri
- Thailand Dame Grand Cordon of the Order of Chula Chom Klao
- Vatican City Collar Lady of the Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem