東方Project (Touhou Project) is an OTL series of 2D (with 3D background) vertically-scrolling danmaku shooting games made for PC-98 and Windows, all made by Team Shanghai Alice (which has only one member: ZUN); though also has four fighting games made in collaboration with Twilight Frontier; and is also a manga series too.
Started originally in 1997, the first game, Highly Responsive to Prayers was released in 1997 by Amusement Makers for PC-98. Soon, by the time Mystic Square was released for PC-98 in 1998, the series went inactive for a while.
By 2002, the Touhou Project was back under a new 'company' and Embodiment of Scarlet Devil was released under Team Shanghai Alice for Windows; and thus ended the PC-98 Era. From then on, ZUN would create the Touhou Project for Windows, and at least 1-2 (rarely 3+) games was released per year (except 2006 and 2012), with the latest release being Double Dealing Character in 2013.
Other variants of this game/manga series have also appeared in other time-lines, but not limited to:
- 東方Project (Manga only) - Touhou Project (1983: Doomsday)
- 東方Project (Game, Manga, Anime) - 東方Project (At the End of Spring)
- Północ Projekt (Game, Manga) - Północ Projekt (At the End of Spring)
- 东方Project (Game, Manga) Touhou Project (A World of Difference)
- 東方Project (Game and Manga) - 東方Project (Luna: Earth II)
- 東方Project (Game and Manga) - Touhou Project (New Yuanxian)
- 東方Project (Game and Manga) - Touhou Project (Ohga Shrugs)
- 동방 프로젝트 (Game and Manga) - Dongyang Project (Pax Columbia)
- Itäinen Projekti (Manga, Game, Anime) - Itäinen Projekti (Principia Moderni)
- 東方Project (Game, Manga, Anime) - 東方Project (Proxima Centauri)
- 東方Project (Game and Manga) - 東方Project (Satomi Maiden ~ Third Power)
- 東方Project (Game and Manga) - 東方Project (World of the Rising Sun)