- United States presidential election, 1952: Democrat Governor of Illinois Adlai Stevenson defeats Republican General Dwight D. Eisenhower (correctly predicted by the UNIVAC computer).
- United States presidential election, 1956: Democrat incumbent Adlai E. Stevenson defeats Republican challenger Dwight D. Eisenhower in a rematch of their contest 4 years earlier.
- United States presidential election, 2000: Democratic Vice President Al Gore defeats Republican Governor of Texas George W. Bush in the U.S. presidential election but there is a miscount in Florida resulting in a recount of the votes.
- Bush v. Gore: The U.S. Supreme Court stops the Florida presidential recount, effectively giving the state, and the Presidency, to Al Gore.
- Al Gore is sworn into office, succeeding Bill Clinton as President of the United States, over candidate contender George W. Bush in the disputed U.S. presidential election, 2000.
- The World Wrestling Federation (WWF/now WWE) purchases rival organization World Championship Wrestling (WCW) for an estimated US$7 million.