The timeline begins in 1800, when Louisiana is ceded to New France from Spain, in the Third Treaty of Ildefonso.
- October 1, 1800 - A secret treaty is signed between the countries, in which Spain gives over the territory.
- 1801 - The Haitian Revolution begins to grow out of hand for France. America's sense of Manifest Destiny grows, and there are rumors that America is looking to purchase New Orleans, hoping to increase trade in the West.
- 1802 - James Monroe and Robert Livingston travel to France to discuss the possibility of selling New Orleans. The ntion of selling the whole territory remains only a possibility.
- 1803 - The likelyhood of an American purchase of Louisiana grows.
- April 17, 1803 (PoD)- Only thirteen days before America would officially buy Louisiana, a private donor gives France a sum of 20 million francs. This was enough money to supply the French with everything they needed to prepare for the French-English war. The notion of selling America Louisiana was scrapped, instead selling only New Orleans for a mere 15,000 francs. The land was ceded in 1808.