Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
| The following 1648: Kingdom of the Three Sicilies page is a proposal.
It has not been ratified and is therefore not currently part of the 1648: Kingdom of the Three Sicilies timeline. You are welcome to correct any errors and/or comment on the talk page. If you add this template to an article, please don't forget to mention this proposal on the main discussion page.
- 1625: Louis XIII of France and Anne of Austria have healthy twins. They grow up to be Louis XIV and Philip I, of France and Sicily respectively.
- 1640: The King sends Philip to the front line to learn military tactics and strategy. He leads a small force of French to several small victories.
- 1645: 20 year old Philip is sent by Cardinal Mazarin (who was de facto ruler of France) to lead a French army 5,000 strong to train and assist a Neapolitan revolt against the Spanish. He succeeds beyond all expectations, liberating the boot of Italy with a trained and disciplined Neapolitan army. By the end of the year he is ready for an invasion of Sicily.
- 1646: Sicily is liberated from the Spanish. The people fall in love with Philip for freeing them from the cruel Spanish barons (probably the reforms he gave out).
- 1647: A joint Franco-Sicilian force under Philip capture Sardinia from the Spaniards.
- 1648: The Treaty of Westphalia. There are two notable changes from OTL.
- One - The three liberated territories of Naples, Sicily and Sardinia, along with Malta, are to be ceded to Philip for a large sum of money. He becomes the first ruler of the "Kingdom of Sicily" (encompasing all three lands). He also becomes Duke of Malta.
- Two - In compensation, Spain also gets an expanded territory in the Netherlands and certain navigational and trade rights in the the newly founded Kingdom.
Philip sets up a temporary capital at Cagliari, where the bulk of his army was stationed after driving out the Spaniards. He begins to set up a bureaucracy using both French administrators and decent Italian ones that served under the Spanish.
The Prussian War begins.It is caused by Brandenburg-Prussia's desire to have full control of Ducal Prussia.
- 1649: Philip is finally crowned at Palermo. The day after he is married to Joan of Portugal.
- 1650: Philip and Joan have their first healthy child, Philip II. King Philip institutes programs to entice artists and scholars back to Sicily, maximize agricultural output, and in general modernize this backward part of Europe.
- 1655: For the first time in decades, Southern Italy becomes the net exporter of food.
- 1660: A group of art styles known collectively as Sicilian Baroque gains prominence in Italy. In order to help run his country, Philip allows Jews back into his Kingdom. Thousands come, refugees from wars in Poland.
- 1662: The Prussian War ends in stalemate.Ducal Prussia gains full independence but a lot of iit becomes part of Royal Prussia,which is split into Royal Prussia (Lands gained from Ducal Prussia) and the Danzig Voivodship (former Royal Prussia).
- 1664: China is de facto partitioned between the Qing and Ming Dynasties, with the border on the Yangtze river.
- 1670's: The Danubian War begins.It is the powers of Europe against Ottoman Turkey.This halts Ottoman expansion into Europe.
- This decade also marks the beginnings of the Sicilian Enlightenment, sparked by the French Enlightenment. This era would produce such scholars and philosophers as Chaim Baggio, Georgio de Corleone, and Roberto Pieri. It would put Sicily at the center stage of art and culture on the Italian Peninsula.
- The beginning of Sicilian Centralization. Gradually power is taken away from the nobles. The Army is standardized and a bureaucracy staffed by skilled natives and foreigners (many of them Jews) is set up. The glory of the state is personified in the King. Philip is given the title 'the Mighty' in his final years for pulling Southern Italy out of the dump.
- Catholic missionaries begin to arrive in Tunisia. The Ottomans can't object, because an attack on Sicily would provoke France into joining the Danubian War. Missionaries are sent all over the world, setting up churches in India, Tibet, South America and the Caribbean.
- 1674: The Italian Trading Company is founded by Giovani Arrezo in Florence. He finds investors in Antwerp, Palermo, Paris, Frankfurt and Amsterdam, with Prince Philip being the main investor. The first trading post is established in Cochin. By 1720, offices start sprouting up along the world. The Venetian Merchants Union is founded in response, but is less successful.
- 1691: James III of England, Ireland and Scotland is overthrown by Fredrick William of Orange. This leads to the union of the British Isles and the United Provinces.
- 1692:The Danubian War ends with the Treaty of Bucharest.This says Transylvania shall be annexed to Hungary (In Personal Union with Austria),Moldavia shall become a Polish-Lithuanian vassal,and Wallachia shall become an independent Christian buffer state.
- 1695: The last remaining Italian possession of the Spanish crown, Milan, is partitioned between Venice and Savoy
- 1698-1701: War of Florentine Succession: In an attempt to regain lost land in Italy, the Spanish attack the Grand Duchy of Tuscany after the Medici Duke dies with no heirs. They bring along most of the Central Italian city-states and the Papal States. The plan backfires and the Tuscan people drive the invaders out and elect their leader, Mateo de Arezzo (nephew of Giovani Arrezo) as King of Tuscany. At the peace conference in 1700, the Kingdom of Tuscany receives Ferrara from the pope and annexes Modena and Regio.
- 1701: The Venetian Empire reaches its zeneth, directly controling territory stretching from Lombardy to Cyprus, and directly controlling trading posts in Africa and India.
- 1710:Sicily buys Ragusa from Venice and begins the Ragusan War.This lasts until 1716 when the Venetian Government,Sicily,and the Consolidation Party defeating the Expansionist Party,the Most Serene Republic of Ragusa and its successor the Duchy of Ragusa.
- 1714: The personal union between England and Scotland is broken. England (which included Wales and the United Provinces) accepted Prince Charles Frederick of Saxony as King Charles III. Scotland and Ireland accepted the Franciscan pretender James as King James VIII. The British Colonial Empire was partitioned between the two successor states.
- 1717: King Philip II is assassinated by poisoning in Palermo. His reign was uneventful, with the exception of the prosperity and wealth brought in from trade with India. Since Philip died with no heirs, and both of his brothers had passed away, his nephew Henry inherited.
- 1717-1720: The Italian War begins.It ends in a coalition victory (Venice,Tuscany,and Sicily) but at heavy cost.
- 1720s: The Industrial Revolution is started in the southern lands of the Holy Roman Empire. Bavarian, Bohemian and Hessian engineers begin using the Anglo-Dutch steam engine to pump out mines. Weaving factories utilizing water power and the Flying Shuttle (invented earlier than OTL) sprout up in Munich, Prague and Stuttgart. Southern German states and England-Holland grow rich and become the first industrialized countries.
- 1721-1728: Baden Wars. Baden is invaded by Württemberg and Bavaria at the same time.They defeat Baden but fights for who gets it.Prussia backs Bavaria and Jülich-Berg supports Württemberg.
- 1741-1754:War of Saxon Succession. King William Fredrick of Brandenburg is named heir to the Saxon throne. The English push their claim. France backs Prussia; Scotland backs France; Spain, Austria and Poland back England, and Russia; Sweden and Sicily stay neutral.