Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
The Longest Day in History
Thank you for viewing my new TL. I would love people to contribute, but please message me first--Roguejedi\
Articles in this TL will have (LDH) after them, an abbreviation of The Longest Day in History.
- May 23, 1994- Four satellites are launched by NASA, collectively known as the Peacemaker. This is by far the largest satellite group ever launched, and NASA says that it will be the fastest communications satellite system yet. However, its intention is not as a communications satellite cluster, but a weapon of war approved by the president for emergency use only. It is an EMP device, capable of launching an EMP burst over 50 miles wide. It is able to recharge within minutes, and it holds enough energy for twenty consecutive blasts.
- February 15, 1995- A secret military project dubbed "Infinity" run by unknown scientist John Allen and authorized by the Pentagon successfully creates a quantum computer. It is able to process data at unimaginable rates by existing in multiple dimensions at once. The entire project is known by only around ten people, not even the president is aware of it. The entire operation is housed deep in a mountain base in Colorado, and is undetectable by any scanning devices. John Allen decides not to tell of the success, wanting to run a test of the new computer
- February 17, 1995- The first test run of the "Infinity" is a rousing success, with the computer able to factor a number far to large for any normal computer by testing out different answers in different dimensions, and finding the correct answer. However, John Allen, notoriously bold and inconsiderate, does not gain government approval for the test. The Pentagon is informed of the test and shuts down the program, seeing John as a threat.
- February 18, 1995- John Allen is sentenced to jail for unauthorized testing of a potentially deadly device. He is housed in a secret prison also in Colorado, with the highest security possible, for threatening enemies. The pentagon secures the quantum computer and decides to keep it intact for research. They do not know, however, that John Allen has planned his revenge carefully.
The Longest Day: July 9, 1995
This is the short version of the longest day. See Timeline of the Longest Day
- 14:00 UTC- the "Infinity" quantum computer begins to follow the secret programming installed in it. It is able to quickly hack into the Pentagon by entering passwords before they can be changed. It then sends an order through the Pentagon to the "Peacemaker", also easily hacking into it. The computer then sends a program into the satellite, giving it its next instructions.
- 14:05 UTC- New York, Los Angeles, Dallas, Chicago, Washington D.C., Boston, Philadelphia, Salt Lake City, Denver, Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal, Mexico City, Monterrey, Tijuana, and Ciudad Juarez are hit with an EMP burst. All computer systems and digital items are immediately fried and stop working. Millions die as cars stop working, planes fall out of the sky, and the entire area shuts down. Banks shut down, communications stop and chaos reigns. The "Peacemaker" begins too position itself for the next strike
- 14:10 UTC- The quantum computer continues to follow its programming as it hacks into the US nuclear missile stockpile and disables all bombs. The disabling is irreversible, and unknowingly, the United States' most powerful weapons of war are eliminated. It then continues and disables all other nuclear stockpiles.
- 15:00 UTC- Lisbon, Madrid, Barcelona, Paris, Marseille, London, Dublin, Brussels, Berlin, Munich, Hamburg, Rome, Milan, Vienna, Prague, Warsaw, Budapest, Belgrade, Athens, and Kiev are hit with EMP bursts, before the satellite runs out of charge. It begins to recharge, using its massive solar collectors and sister satellites to gain charge.
- 16:00 UTC- Having gained back significant power, "Peacemaker" launches more attacks. Moscow, Ankara, Istanbul, Volgorod, St. Petersburg, Novgorod, Zakan, Samara, Omsk, Novosibirsk, Tashkent, Almaty, and Yekaterinburg are hit with the EMP, and casualties continue to mount.
- 17:00 UTC- P'yongyang, Seoul, Busan, Tokyo, Osaka, Nagoya, Beijing, Fushun, Jinan, Qiingdao, Xi'an, Wuhan, Nanning, Hong Kong, and Taipei are hit by the EMP. The entire continents of North America and Europe, along with Northern and Eastern Asia are now in complete catastrophe. The governments have collapsed.
- 17:30 UTC- John Allen is discovered to be behind the attacks, and a team of soldiers immediately kills him. Also, information about the Pentagon hack reveals that the "secure" quantum computer made the hack. The computer, along with all other objects relating to the "Infinity" project are destroyed. However, with their missiles offline, the US is unable to destroy the "Peacemaker".
- 18:10 UTC- The "Peacemaker" makes an adjustment to its current course, shifting southwards. Many countries tell civilians to get out of major cities, for it is assumed that the "Peacemaker" will target the southern part of the world next.
- 18:30 UTC- Bogota, Lima, Quito, Caracas, Rio de Janeiro, Sao Paulo, Brasilia, Salvador, Manaus, Montevideo, Buenos Aires, and Santiago are hit by EMP bursts. The casualties are significantly less, however, as many cities have been evacuated. However, there are still deaths. An Indian missile successfully takes out one of the satellites of the "Peacemaker" the first good news that day.
- 19:15 UTC- Conakry, Dakar, Ouagadao, Lagos, Abuja, Kano, Yaounde, Brazzaville, Kinshasa, Luanda, Lubumbashi, Omdurman, Khartoum, Addis Ababa, Mogadishu, Kampala, Nairobi, and Dar es Salaam are hit by the EMP. The effects of these blasts are lesser, due to the lower standard of living. Lower casualties are also evident.
- 20:00 UTC- The many Indian and South-East Asian are hit by EMP bursts - Cairo, Jerusalem, Baghdad, Tehran, Mecca, Jeddah, Shiraz, Karachi, Delhi, Mumbai, Calcutta, Surat, Nagpur, Bangalore, Dhaka, Chittagong, Bangkok, Ho Chi Minh City, Jakarta, and Semarang are targeted. The USSR is able to launch a few missiles that were not shut down, taking out another two satellites.
- 22:00-24:00 UTC- The "Peacemaker" takes another pass of the Earth, targeting and shutting down military bases in many countries, including the US, USSR, France, UK, China, Japan, both Koreas, Canada, India, and the Middle East. A US missile is finally able to take down the satellite, ending what was to be known as "The Longest Day in History"
The Longest Day in history had massive effects on the entire world. Technological progress reversed, as people were thrust back decades in technology. Much of the world's population dies, as fires, disease, and war tore apart the entire planet. The whole geo-political scope of the world shifted, as countries were formed from the ashes of superpowers, great unions were formed, and governments got overthrown. But human perseverance paid off through many dangerous times, and slowly the world began to heal from the disaster, building from the ashes.