The year is 1920. It’s been one year since the Treaty of Versailles was signed, ending the Great War. Despite the war being called “The war to end all wars” it seems like the ending of this war has only brought on more conflict. New countries, both with and without international recognition, have been carved out of the former German, Austrian and Ottoman Empires. The Russian Empire has collapsed, and now two groups fight to replace it: the Whites and the Bolsheviks. Germany and Italy are in total economic shambles, while France and Britain fight to keep their status as the world’s leading powers. The United States sees vast economic growth, while the Japanese Empire sees its economy take a sharp downturn, and now begins looking west for resources as China breaks down into total chaos with warlords taking de facto control of a majority of China, leaving the government to control a small territory down south.
As the world keeps spinning, many wonder what will become of this supposed Great Peace.
These is a list of the rules and laws of “The Great Peace”. If you refuse to follow these set rules and laws then you will be listed as a counter revolutionary and thrown into prison! Watch your step...
- Absolutely no metagaming! Metagaming is when you incorporate IRL hatred or love for something into the game, and is totally biased and unrealistic. Please refrain from metagaming at all costs!
- Please be plausible and realistic throughout the entire game, we are trying to make a working map game here, and we would appreciate if you would follow the rules, be realistic and accept the mod events.
- No inappropriate sexual behavior. Yes, I know this is odd for a map game of all things, but I guess this rule applies mostly when interacting with another player, be it on discord or here on the wiki. Please keep your sexual wishes to yourself, please.
- No bullying, I shouldn’t even have to write this down but it will happen. Do not, I repeat, do not bully someone on the wiki or on the discord about something they did on this game. If you are caught or accused of this, you will be banned permanently especially if you really scared a guy.
- Wiki Guidelines apply here as always, along with Alternate History Wiki Rules.
- Have fun! Despite these rules, I trust all of you to follow and keep within the wiki guidelines and the map game rules and to have fun! You guys, I trust and know, won’t do anything you know would get you in trouble both in real life and in virtual life, so I am not concerned about that. Anyway, have fun and live long and prosper!
Chief of Staff
- Brotherly Guide of the People: TheHistoryNerd
- My Personal Servant: Nate
- People’s Cartographer: User:Vandenhoek
- President of Algorithms: Steph the Purged
- That Guy your employee hired without your consent and is apparently a mod: Wolf
- Most Serene Envoy of the TSPTF: SkyGreen24
Also, nations in Bold are for players with experience, and mean you need to message a moderator and apply to be that nation, and list any previous map games you have been in, along with why you want to be that nation.
- United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland - User:Person67
- Gold Coast - Franzjoseph
- Nigeria - Franzjoseph
- Sierra Leone - Franzjoseph
- Newfoundland - Franzjoseph
- East African Protectorate (Kenya) -Franzjoseph
- Uganda -franzjoseph
- Rhodesia - Franzjoseph
- Nyasaland - Franzjoseph
- Tanganyika - Franzjoseph
- British Somaliland - Franzjoseph
- Hong Kong - Franzjoseph
- Guyana - Franzjoseph
- British Malaya - Franzjoseph
- Straits Settlement - Franzjoseph
- British Brunei -Franzjoseph
- French Republic -
- Algeria - Falcon
- Morocco - Falcon
- Tunisian Protectorate - Falcon
- French West Africa - Falcon
- French Equatorial Africa - Falcon
- Madagascar - Falcon
- French Somaliland - Falcon
- French Guyana - Falcon
- French Indochina - Falcon
- Lebanon - Falcon
- Principality of Andorra -
- Kingdom of Spain - The Godly Doge
- Spanish Sahara -
- Spanish Guinea -
- Portuguese Republic - Solace
- Portuguese Guinea - Solace
- Angola - Solace
- Mozambique - Solace
- Macau - Solace
- Kingdom of the Netherlands -
- Dutch East Indies -
- Suriname -
- Kingdom of Belgium -
- Belgian Congo -
- Belgian Concession in Tianjin -
- Grand Duchy of Luxembourg -
- Weimar Republic (German Reich) - Adolf Coffee
- Territory of the Saar Basin (League of Nations mandate) -
- Republic of Austria - Th3Legnd27
- Swiss Confederation -
- Principality of Liechtenstein -
- Czechoslovak Republic -
- Free City of Danzig -
- Republic of Poland - The Expendable Broccoli Rob (Say Hi!) 20:00, July 6, 2018 (UTC)
Italy and the Balkans
- Kingdom of Italy - Curmudgeonly yours - Crim 21:25, July 2, 2018 (UTC)
- The Vatican -
- Republic of San Marino - SupremeSensualSamrāṭSky 21:40, July 2, 2018 (UTC)
- Kingdom of Hungary -
- Kingdom of Romania -
- Kingdom of Yugoslavia - Vatonica (talk) 18:46, July 14, 2018 (UTC)
- Tsardom of Bulgaria -
- Principality of Albania -
- Kingdom of Greece - Steph the Unpurged (talk)
- Kingdom of Denmark -
- Kingdom of Iceland -
- Greenland -
- Kingdom of Norway -
- Kingdom of Sweden - ArsenicHalogen
Former Russian Empire
Soviet Russia - Feud
- Kingdom of Egypt (under British Protection) -Sultan
- Anglo-Egyptian Sudan (Conglomerate of Egypt and Britain) -
- Republic of Liberia -
- Union of South Africa -
- South West Africa -
Horn of Africa
- Empire of Ethiopia -
- Empire of Japan - With Blood and Iron (talk) 21:22, July 2, 2018 (UTC)
- Shanghai International Settlement (American and British joint-administered Concession) -
- Mongolian People’s Republic -
- Republic of China - Knight of Malta
- Tibet -
- Sinkiang - DrivingFan42
South East Asia
- Kingdom of Siam -
- Kingdom of Sarawak (British Protectorate) -
- British Raj - Warrior (rimp does not plan to play, so time to use my limited knowledge of indian history)
- Kingdom of Nepal -
- Kingdom of Bhutan -
- Kingdom of Sikkim -
- Kingdom of Afghanistan -
- Imperial State of Persia - DRAFIGO13
- Mandatory Iraq (British Mandate) -
- Sheikdom of Kuwait (British Protectorate) -
- Hashemite Kingdom of Syria - Oh, I didn't mean to push that button! † Oh, well leave a message I guess 03:27, July 2, 2018 (UTC)
- British Mandate of Palestine -
- Transjordan (British Mandate) -
- The Hashemite Kingdom of Hejaz -
- Trucial States (British Protectorate) -
- Qatar (British Protectorate) -
- Bahrain (British Protectorate) -
- Sultanate of Muscat and Oman -
- Mutawakkilite Kingdom of Yemen -
- Dominion of Canada - Willster22 (User talk:Willster22)
- United States of America - Orwell
- Insular Government of the Philippines (Military Government) - – † ⌒⌒⌒＼(;ᄋ;＼)三(ﾉ>ᄉ<)ﾉ ~ ("니가먼저키스해!")
- Panama Canal Zone -
- United Mexican States - Orange (talk)
- Republic of Cuba -
- Republic of Haiti -
- Dominican Republic -
- Republic of Guatemala -
- Republic of Honduras -
- Republic of El Salvador -
- Republic of Costa Rica -
- Republic of Panama -
- Republic of the United States of Brazil - Ycasto
- National State of Venezuela -
- Republic of Colombia -
- Republic of Ecuador -
- Republic of Peru - Cybermats, created by the Cybermen, they kill by feeding off Brainwaves 00:23, July 7, 2018 (UTC)
- Republic of Bolivia -MaddeningYams (talk)
- Republic of Chile -
- Republic of Argentina - Tharpe23
- Republic of Paraguay -
- Republic of Uruguay -
Apologies for the late turn. On the bright side, more people got to post, so that's good.
The French outpost in Shanghai do not recognize the government in exile, and as such are nullified by the recent action by the Chinese government.
The Polish Civil War ends with the nationalists taking power again.
Mahatma Ghandhi begins civil disobedience against the British government in India (subject to revision if Ethan posts).
Mickey Mouse and Looney Tunes become popular in America.
The Mount Rushmore presidential Memorial begins being constructed.
With westernization reforms in Turkey, feminist groups begin forming that push for universal suffrage.
The Nazbol Party’s Branch in Berlin becomes extremely popular. Meanwhile, Nazi brownshirts are arrested and charged for assault, causing Nazi popularity to take a heavy downturn.
- Hungary: Bethlen starts to fall out of favor with the Hungarian populace and Horthy. Gobombos begins to rise in popularity. Gyula Karolyi starts to fall into favor with Horthy as the last political centrist. Ferenc Szalasi travels to Germany to attend National Bolshevik Party meetings and to meet with Nazbol leaders about German and Hungarian irredentism.
- Persia: The Trans-Iranian Railroad is completed and is visited by the Shah. This year's military budget goes to the navy.
- Yugoslavia: Extends an invitation to Persia to join the Zagreb Conference.
- Persia: Accepts the invitation.
- Commonwealth of Oceania: The Oceanian government issues a call to volunteers to enlist in His Majesty's Armed Forces, with a goal of four to five hundred and 50,000 men in arms set by the government within the year (including all active personnel). Veterans of the Great War are offered incentives to rejoin the Armed Forces for their battlefield experience and teaching mechanisms that will greatly benefit the Army. The government tries to take on a militarily-induced recovery from the Great Depression, with Oceania offering to sell raw materials to her allies and fellow Commonwealths for war purposes. A massive expansion of roads and railways fueled by the selling of raw materials and capital investments meant to mitigate the effects of the Depression are undertaken by the government, with these roads planned for military and civilian use. The pastural industry in New Zealand is mechanised, with the introduction of tractors and shearing equipment to make the industry much more efficient. The Oceanian census of 1930 reports a combined 9.1 million people, more than half of whom live on the Australian continent. This number is increased due to the recent immigration policies undertaken by the government, which has helped in the production of military equipment and construction. A few hundred Indians and Chinese enlist in the armed forces.
- Commonwealth of the Philippines (associated state): Mindanao is organized into provinces, while a government program is enacted promoting settlement and missionary activities within the region (to promote its territorial legitimacy), while incorporating the Muslim Moros into the Philippine national identity. This is further encouraged through tax incentives and cheap land grants. The National Assembly approves of an act which will authorize the construction of a pan-Philippine highway and ferry system, which will be completed by 1935. Meanwhile, the government begins to allocate more of the national budget on the development of an extensive telecommunications network, as well as sewagery and indoor plumbing in both urban and rural areas. Due to sluggish growth in international markets, the Central Bank of the Philippines encourages expansionist monetary policies and continues to provide cheap credit and low-set interest rates to stimulate internal growth. The Laguna munitions plant and the Cavite steel mill continue to be constructed. The agricultural sector is heavily emphasized, with grains (rice, maize) and cash crops (sugarcane, coffee, cacao) both being cultivated. The cultivation of fiber crops (cotton, abaca, hemp) is re-emphasized, due to investment in the textiles industry. Key strategic points such as Manila, Lingayen, Aparri, Cebu, and Davao are fortified, with shore batteries and anti-aircraft defenses being built. More artillery pieces (infantry mortars, field guns and howitzers) from the United States, both self-propelled and towed are imported for defensive purposes and to provide infantry support.
- Yugoslavia: Yugoslavia has been having a wonderful time. We continue our propaganda to unify the various ethnic groups in our nation, and work toward a fairer and more representative governmental system. We raise taxes slightly, and spend that money on infrastructure. Our current leader is Alexander I, but as part of the new governmental reforms, he has little domestic power, and domestic issues are decided by parliament (and a House of Lords equivalent appointed by the King, known as the Chamber of Deputies), which is currently controlled by a centre-left party called Slavic Unity. This is done in order to continue our efforts to unify and to not make non-Serbians feel unempowered. We add Persia, Turkey and Peru to our list in Zagreb. At the Zagreb Conference, we propose a new era of cooperation among medium-sized, non-aligned nations. This system will work as an alliance, free trade organization, cooperative research consortium, and more (see our proposal in the conference page). We ask all attendees of the conference to give input on our proposal, and hope to establish this new alliance in 1931.
- Turkey: Economic policies dedicated to reform and recovery of the global downturn continue. With significant amounts of infrastructure already built or still under construction, the government turns much more of its development funds toward the expansion of agricultural capacity. Even more tractors, fertilizer and other important equipment or materials for farming are purchased and handed out to farmers following their instruction. Agricultural output continues to grow as a result. In Alexandretta, the oil refinery continues construction, with most of the building now complete and only waiting for the finishing touches of American technical experts and rare parts. Turkish ambassadors remain at the Zagreb Conference in hopes that it leads to a beneficial arrangement. Turkish diplomats are also present in Bulgaria, where they hope to establish a closer relationship with the ruling government. Eight more torpedo boats are laid down and built this year, bringing the navy to a total of twenty modern boats. The first two new destroyers are also laid down, although only one is finished by the end of the year. Christened the Kërkuk of the new Kërkuk-class destroyers, it is widely celebrated as an example of Turkey regaining its lost prestige in both military power and rightful territories. Domestically, Turkish women are granted the right to vote in local elections, and many do so in elections held later this year. They are not yet able to vote in national elections, but many believe that it is only a matter of time. Many support this goal, although some, such as traditional Islamists and extreme social conservatives such as the National Party, oppose women's suffrage and make their resistance known through protest.
- Socialist Republic of Italy: Italy is headed by Prime Minister Antonio Gramsci, who exercises control over the Socialist Party of Italy. His communist leanings and charismatic nature bring more communists to his cause by the day. The ISP holds a vast majority of the chairs in both the Italian Parliament and the Italian Council of Workers. Though communists hold the power within the ISP, the party remains an alliance of left-leaning people, which includes everything from anarchists to communists to democratic socialists. Italy maintains Austria as a League of Nations mandate and is responsible for its well-being. Further loosening of restrictions between the Italo-Austrian border continues as Italy wishes to incentivise commerce and movement between the two peoples. With the shattering of the Capitalist Global Economy, Italy's economy sees massive growth. Gramsci hires photographers to document the sudden depression gripping the world. Fiat, which has already been nationalized, is combined with over 18 different manufacturies. Vehicles of war are produced en masse, including the new L5/30 tank, troop transports, tankettes, and trucks. Firearms and naval vehicles receive the same treatment. Seeing as how Egypt has failed to move its troops, Italy urges Libya to fortify its border with Egypt. Entrenchments and supply lines are created in case of Egyptian incursion. Meanwhile, communist propaganda is pumped into Ethiopia and Egypt. Italy desires to see a liberated Africa. The film industry in Italy is booming; without the fascist censorship seen in OTL, brilliant works of cinematic expression are produced. The Florentine Cinnecità is founded. This national film studio seeks to provide filmmakers the resources and funds to produce their works. A film critic calls this milestone in Italian cinema the New Tuscan Renaissance. In terms of aviation, Italian Aviation Authority is formed, which nationalizes many airstrips, ports, and hangars to ensure safety and innovation. The Niccolo Macchiaveli, a rigid airship, makes a transcontinental flight to Moscow this year. It displays the genius of Italian functional aesthetics.
- United Kingdom: Work continues on the Mareth line as lines of trenches are built along with solid dugouts built with concrete and steel supports, lines of obstacles are placed including barbed wire and OTL Czech Hedgehogs along with artillery bunkers behind the line. The four British divisions and 12 French regiments continue to hold it. The 48th Division holds position at Tunis and Bizerte. All French colonies in Africa surrender (Falcon agrees) and Petain with the support of the British establish the French Republic in these lands. The 50th Division moves to Madagascar to garrison it, the 1st Canadian, 44th Infantry Division and the 1st South African Division are ordered to garrison French West Africa. The 1st African Rifles Division, 2nd Oceania Division and an Indian division are deployed to help garrison French Equatorial Africa. Frenchmen fleeing the tyranny of communism are formed into new units to fight for the Free French Republic. Military spending remains high with the production of military equipment such as tanks and the Experimental Mechanised Force being renamed the 1st Armoured Brigade and a 2nd Armoured Brigade is formed. Production of the Lewis carrier begins which is a tracked APC. The economy is suffering from the Great Depression and everything but the automotive and construction industries remain strong. Construction of two new purpose built aircraft carriers begins with the Goblin class and an expansion in the number of destroyers and submarines giving a boost to shipbuilding. Mahatma Gandhi is viewed closely by British intelligence but no harassment is made against him and he is free to be civilly disobedient. The training and equipping of the new soldiers recruited from last year is continued. Names are obtained of ll men aged 18 to 25 in case of the necessity of conscription.
- Greece: The Prime Minister continues infrastructure projects and public works to benefit the economy. Naval and other projects are placed on hold until economic conditions improve.
- Kingdom of Egypt: Faud is the King. The government's attempts at improving literacy rates among the poor by forcing children to read English and Arabic books (this is looked down upon but is still used in poor areas). Quskut artists begin to make national headlines as the number of listeners blow up. The national army is formed and attempts to form a standing army is worked on. Troops in the Negev are pulled out until only 500 men are left. The Wafdi and Muslim Brotherhood begin to gain more support due to the Great Sadness. The Royal Air Force is created, covering 15 planes.80,000 troops begin to amass on the Libyan border, Supplies are sent to the troops and the city of Misru Marsa (idc on spelling it right now) is worked on with fortification. The Egyptian Air Force begins bombing campaigns on the border on Libya, The Egyptian Army (80,000 /10 tanks)begins to march on Tobruk.The nation is amassed for war. The kings claims this as a war to unite and free fellow Arabs, this gains the support of Wafdist, while the war on communism is supported by the Muslim Brotherhood.
- Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs: An attack on a commune of Italy is an attack against Italy itself. Italy fully condemns the invasion and will protect the people of Libya from King Faud's imperial ambitions.
- Weimar Republic: the clock is ticking an office in Königsberg. Rudolf Höss is writing away on his desk filling out papers and memo's to his associates while he stays their during the cold and oddly snowy months of February. In the end, the documents are completed. A yellow folder is put inside the mailbox outside the National Socialist Office and is see to Berlin. It arrives to be reviewed by the Reichstag in the coming months. It is the Public Works Act. A knock can be heard on April 14 while He's walks into the room with other members discuss the proposition. “Gentleman, im fully aware that some of you here do not find my ciews pleasant and as it stands, you are out of touch with the public but I digress. I'm here to propose this new Act by the call and voice of the people to ensure that their voices are heard. I was elected for that purpose and I will be here to fulfill it. In these documents there is enough information to understand and comprehend the whole piece and to cleanly think out your thoughts in order to either pass something that would hire million's or lay back and watch the nation burn. I'm not here to watch our infrastructure nor German corporations crumble. I want change just as much as all of you but we must work together to achieve that or nothing will be done. I'm done for now, I give my consent for the voting to begin”. At the end, the liberal coalition bent to Höss. The Bill was passed and went through the Chancellor. From around three million unemployed, the figures dropped to 2.87 million by September. Some industries were able to hire more workers than before allowing more jobs and therefore lesser unemployment. Hoss celebrated with his men in Munich. This gave Höss the upper ground in the election giving his party 151 seats while the SPD had 120, a considerable drop, Centre had 77, KPD had 65, and the Nazbol's had 25 with other notable yet smaller parties scrambling for other seats. Hindenburg as president of the Weimar Republic continues a steady rule. Höss delivers a tour of gratitude in Berlin. Something isn't right, though. He receives a call from his wife in Dresden. Little does he know that he will father a son. Fritz Höss is born. In other news, the Austrian Brotherhood continues their assaults in their Putsch gaining more support from other Austrians. Troubles are stirring with Austria from the sister faction. The Nazbol's managing to hold their seats after losing 34 last election now struggle to keep their offices open. Three close and their Paramilitary license is removed after an incident within a beerhall fight with confronting groups of the SPD having their members being assaulted. The public has mixed thoughts but the worst part is that the Nazbol leader in a news interview attempts to justify the actions which had left three severely wounded.
The French Government in Exile launches an amphibious assault on Corsica with sweeping success.
The Great Depression continues. However, any efforts to get out of the Great Depression are working, and conditions and jobs begin to better.
Western America faces a severe drought this summer, where many fields are left dry and sandy.
Bolivia is now controlled by mods until the player comes Back
Venezuala attacks the ports of French Guiana, in an attempt to cut it off from French control.
National Bolshevik Paramilitaries Patrol the streets of Berlin, and are forbidden from committing such atrocities like the Nazi brownshirts who assaulted that woman. They are still brutal, though.
With the recent Japanese victories, the Indochina rebels push inland to liberate Laos and Cambodia.
- Peoples Republic of Brazil: Due to the aggression of Venezuela in the region, Brazil warns the Venezuelan government to not take any further steps. The border is even more fortified now, with some "emergency buildings" like farms reconstructed to airfields to use the newly introduced air force of Brazil, founded in March. The infastructure and industry is slowly pushed to mobilization for war. The MNB also starts to "ideologically clean" the movement from centralists and capitalists. These cleanings include raids of suspects, extreme pressure on Vargas supporters and threats of violence. The infrastructure is improved especially between smaller towns and villages with asphalt roads. In September, the unemployment rate is officially declared to be 0%. The Brazilian government secretly starts to fund other communist parties in South America, as well as helping anti-fascist resistance fighters in Venezuela. The Brazilian secret service also prepares a coup in Bolivia, seeking to establish a socialist government there
- Persia: Persia allows the Imperial Airlines and Lufthansa to fly in Persian airspace. This does not, however, apply to military airplanes. Persia invites closer relations to the religious leaders of Ethiopia. The Shah issues an official statement concerning Italy's actions in Ethiopia.
- Hungary: Despite the economic upturn by a small margin, Bethlen resigns and is replaced by Gyula Karolyi. Karolyi is unpopular as many Hungarian workers favor the hard action Gyula Gombos. Meanwhile, Ferenc Szalsi becomes more right wing following his trip to Germany. Gombos drafts plans for being the future Prime Minister. One of these includes secret rearmament. Horthy is onboard with this, and with Karolyi becoming ever unpopular, Gombos may get his wish. Gombos' main concern is Austria and its communist Italian allies.
- Republic of China: Having continued the government reforms throughout 1930, by 1931 the KMT had changed much of its regional senior leaders. The party is still in the process of trying to recruit promising up and coming youths throughout the country, and finding replacements for older bureaucrats in the lower-level provincial governments. A number of officials who have been found guilty of corruption or other crimes by the Investigation and Statistics Bureau were executed. Wang Jingwei's government begins implementing its economic plan, which consists of continuing to modernize the country and expand infrastructure, particularly railways. Taking the yuan off the silver standard has encouraged Chinese banks to further invest in developing the industry. The effects of the depression had taken their toll but foreign companies continue to be active in the Chinese market and investing in projects on building more factories and other facilities. The population continues to rise. The Central Military Commission studies the lessons from the Soviet war as the National Revolutionary Army is in the process of being further developed. The army strength is maintained at 1.5 million active duty troops. The organizational structure of war zone-army-corps-division-regiment remains in place. A program of national conscription remains in effect as well, and the new reforms within the KMT and provincial governments allow the process to be carried out more efficiently, bringing some 400,000 men through the military each year.
- Jap Dip: Chinese president Wang Jingwei is invited to the pan-asian summit in Kyoto next year.
- Turkey: Turkish agricultural investment continues at a substantial pace, with more tractors and fertilizer imported and given out to Turkish farmers. Crops such as cotton, olives, nuts, and fruits reach new levels of production as a result of the considerable government investment in improving technology. The previous land reforms were substantially helpful in this regard as well. The oil refinery in Alexandretta is completed but requires testing before it can actually start to process and produce fuel for domestic use and international sale. Even so, Alexandretta begins to see a degree of industrial growth and expansion, as the Kirkuk railway continues to send oil there for international sale. The port is expanded as a result and industrial naval equipment is purchased to help develop the shipyard there as well, increasing Turkey's naval production capacity slightly. In light of the growing push for women's suffrage, which Atatürk supports, the government makes meaningful strides to enhance women's education throughout the country, ensuring that almost all government schools are co-ed and offer the same opportunities to boys and girls. Militarily, the Turkish armed forces undergo a bit of a reshuffle to reflect the growing concerns of the general staff. The National Army, of 50,000 men, remains headquartered in Izmir and effectively manages the coastal border with Greece and Europe. The Caliphate Army, of 50,000 men, is headquartered at Alexandretta and is responsible for managing the southern border with Syria and Iraq and keeping any violent Kurdish activities to a minimum. In the east, the Sentinel Army, of 80,000 men, is headquartered at Erzurum and is responsible for policing the Soviet and Persian borders. The navy continues its policy of expansion, with six more torpedo boats and two Kerkük-class destroyers joining the fleet. In light of the conflict occurring in Libya and Egypt, the Turkish navy organizes a fleet for patrolling the eastern Mediterranean. Comprised of the battlecruiser TIG Yavuz Sultan Selim, cruisers TIG Hamidiye and TIG Peyk-i Şevket, two Samsun-class destroyers (the Samsun and the Taşoz) and two Kerkük-class destroyers (the Iskenderun and the Bürsa) to patrol out of Alexandretta. The Turkish government maintains that this naval force is not meant to threaten any participant involved in the Egypt-Libya conflict and does not move farther west than Alexandria.
- Republic of Peru: Our economy gets better and better by the day. Peruvian democracy continues to flourish as politics becomes more accessible to the masses. We once again send diplomats out to Oceania and Japan, requesting trade pacts for their respective countries. (OCEANIA AND JAPANESE RESPONSE NEEDED!!) We invite Bolivia to join the SSA (MOD RESPONSE NEEDED!!). We exploit our resources as normal and ship them off to the USA and other countries.
- Oceania agrees on the condition that all trade with Peru occurs in the ports of Sydney and Wellington.
- Japanese Dip: Tokyo agrees to a trade agreement with Peru.
- Bolivia joins. -Nate
- Kingdom of Egypt: Faud is the King. The government's attempts at improving literacy rates among the poor by forcing children to read English and Arabic books (this is looked down upon but is still used in poor areas). The Wafdi and Muslim Brotherhood begin to gain more support due to the Great Sadness. The Egyptian economic is worked on as trade with Persia and British States continue. The Egyptian National Car and Motor Industry is made under Egyptian Quskut artist “Baba Hamza”. We begin to dig and look for Oil mostly in the Sinai. Government officials are sent to the Sudan region to help improve areas while giving the idea of an Egyptian and Sudanese friendship Following the battle of Tobruk, the Egyptian army pulls back to the city of Sidi Barrani,where defense are amassed,The supply lines are improved on as the coastal roads are used to supply men, mostly coming from Marsa Matruh. We call for 3000 men to the fight as various political groups in Egypt form paramilitary groups and ten tanks to Sidi Barrani. The Egyptian Air Force begins bombing campaigns on the border on Libya.
- Though Egypt was unresponsive, Yugoslavia revokes our invitation for Egypt to join the Zagreb Conference.
- Empire of Japan: The Toseiha group manage to establish complete dominance over the Japanese government and military with Ikki Kita becoming Prime Minister of Japan, and Iwane and Shigeru Honjo being awarded positions on the Supreme War Council, their faction are promoted to the Imperial General Headquarters leading to the displacement of the last hold out generals and admirals fall in line or are moved to low risk outposts such as the islands in the Pacific, or as liaisons to foreign countries. Ikki Kita cabinet continues the policies of Tanaka's government but with more vigor. The State Security Apparatus is buffed up with the Kempeitai, recieving Miitary training, and modern weaponry. They are given new mandates to weed out subersive elements in The Empire and its sphere namely insurgencies that might arise as Japan takes its place at the head of Asia. Pan-Asianism is officially adopted as an Imperial Policy under the Slogan all of Asia under one Roof. Japanese reains the state language. However, Korean and Mandarin are recognized as regional languages in Manshu and Choson. Furthermore The government buys stakes in many of the Zaibatsu's business ventures after the Imperial Industry act of 1931, which grants the State the right to guide and protect the economic development of the economy. The Industry act also brings the Unions under government control by creating a council that manages Workplace affairs. The council is made up of Union leaders, business owners and state officials. Any Union members or business owners who oppose these measures are arrested. State Propaganda about the benefits of Empire and how loyalty to it and the "People's Emperor" will allow for Asia to prosper under the guidence of a benevelont Yellow Empire. Ikki Kita grants the military any budget they require to complete the modernization and proffessionalization of the Imperial Army and Navy. The Imperial Army Act of 1931 is passed which lays out a five-year plan to bring the Japanese military fully up to par with the west. With the new budget technological development, and equipment development are bolstered with new engineers and technicians. A prototype semi-automatic rifle the Arisaka 31 is developed by the IJA after notes are made from Soviet designs, and from weapons seized in the ongoing Indochina campaign. The new rifle carries a ten-bullet clip and a gas chamber mechanism to replace the aging bolt system, (based on the Soviet designs). The Arisak 31 is authorized by the Imperial General Headquarters and mass production begins. The Type 100 SMG is also looked at for upgrades to improve the weapon's firepower. With the rapid expansion of the military and industry efforts are made to streamline and standardize production. Using Soviet blue prints the IJA develop a prototype for a faster and better armored tank then the ones being built by most western powers, the Mitsubishi Type-5 is built based on the BT-5 and using the new Mitsubishi V2 Engine based on Soviet designs. This new engine is also used to improve the designs of new aircrafts being developed.. Mitsubishi uses the new engine design to improve their aircraft and work on fighter and bomber designs to replace the aging ones currently in use. The design isn't finished but the prototype in development proves promising enough for the IJA to authorize its production ones completed. To improve the mobility of the IJA trops in tougher terrain half-tracks are developed. The motorization of the IJA is due to reach completion by 1933 with enough trucks, and vehicles in service or production to cover the needs of the IJA. The military fully established a radio network across the Empire greatly improving lines of communication and efforts to encrypt it are begun, with major resources going into achieving this. The Imperial Signal Corps are founded to improve the chain of command and coordination between different units, to allow for greater cooperating and also autonomy in decision making. Drilling and military exercises become commonplace as a means of improving overall performance and professionalism of the soldiers alongside improved training for officers. Naval expansion continues under Admiral Yamamoto's designs with increased focus on aerial aviation he commissions the development of larger aircraft carriers capable of carrying a greater amount of fighters and bombers, and also commissions the construction of four more battleships to bring the IJN number of them up to 20, alongside 15 more large cruisers over the next three years. Industrial expansion continues as resources from Manchuria start pour into the Home Islands allowing for greater levels of production which are able to satisfy a growing domestic demand for products and the growing demand for Japanese goods in China and South East Asia. Imperial marines are reinforced by 30,000 soldiers from the IJA who are quickly deployed to the interior to assist the Indochinese rebels as they fight to liberate Cambodia and Laos from French Rule. Notes are made on the difficulties of engaging in Jungle warfare and susceptability to disease in tropical environments, orders are made for medication for malaria, and a supplyline is established all the way up the Mekong River. In secret Japanese officials approach leaders of the Vietnamese resistance and offer them a place at the head of any future Indochinese state with Japanese backing alongside a free trade and economic development agreement between Indochina and Japan in exchange for the Japanese military being allowed to maintain a small Military presence in the Mekong Delta to ensure that stability in the region and keep Indochina out the hands of western imperialists or communists. They are also offered a seat at the Pan-Asian summit to be held next year, Siam is invited as well (mod response, please).
- The Office for the Reclamation of Indochina (ORI), the rebels against French Rule, accept the Japanese support. -Nate
- Siam joins the summit. -Nate
- Manshu: Under Ikki Kita's propaganda campaign a new dirrection is taken with emphasis being placed on the way Manshu has historically been the frontier region of East Asia and China having for centuries been separate from China. In school the Yellow Empire becomes mandatory reading for all students independent of ethnicity. The Manshu defence force is created under the control of Kwantung Army which is reinforced with 200,000 troops from the Home Islands bringing the Kwantung army to 500,000 strong. Industrialization continues as Shinkyo/Hsinking, Port Arthur, and other major cities grow rapdily. Surveying for oil and minerals continue. Steel production in Manshu increases drasticly as improved mining is achieved and growing demand in the Home Islands and abroad fuel production. Coal and Iron mining are given priority to fuel the growth of heavy industry in Manshu. Buddhism grows in popularity amongst many in Manshu due to increased government sponsorship with many new Buddhist temples being built across the region. Anti-Japanese activities are proactively suppressed with a mix of military operations to stamp out remnants of anti-Japanese guerrillas, and economic and education policies that are aimed at improving the lives of those who collaborate with the protecterate government.
- Choson: Keijo continues to grow in terms of wealth and population as industry grows on the peninsula. Integration efforts continue with the sister cultures policy being embraced more and more by Korean intellectuals and individuals seeking advancement in the Empire. The Yellow Empire also becomes widespread amongst intellectual circles with most collaborators enthusiactically embracing the idea of ethnic equality within a the Japanese Empire. The government begins laying out plans to extend the prefecture system in use in Japan to the Peninsula. Buddhism starts picking up in popularity.
- Taihoku: The prefecture system is officially extended to the rest of the island, and the colonial administration is given orders From Tokyo to begin laying the ground works for the formal integration of the island into the Home Islands.
- Weimar Republic: A young Fritz takes his first steps. Rudolf Höss continues to dedicate his life to reviving Germany and in the meantime, gets members from the liberal coalition to exit and join what Höss calls the National Sphere, a coalition dedicated to the main purpose of German revival. Of course there are slightly different solutions but overall, they are connected. The SPD though distances itself and exits the coalition. The Liberal coalition collapses. Every now and then, Höss would speak with Hindenburg as they become more bonded. On the anniversary of the formation of the German Reich, 400,000 people head to Berlin in which parties and celebrations occur hosted by the National Socialist party and all funds would go to charity to help the poor. In the meantime, new public schools and other structures of the government body are built and the Reichstag sees much needed renovations following a small office fire on the second floor in March. An ill Heinrich Brining is diagnosed with cancer and as Chancellor, he knows his days are numbered and knows that he will likely have to resign in the coming years. Höss is nearly assassinated at a restaurant on his anniversary with his wife in Cologne. The man is put in jail for 50 years but the damage is done. Rudolf purchases a pistol and for now on would carry it wherever he went as a safegaurd. A new policy is passed to remove one-eighth of the German Markes out of circulation as instability continues to be not very well contained. In the end, the Marke would only inflate 43% by New Year's. Unemployment lowered to 2.68 million which is counted as a success mainly because while other nations suffer Germany with their struggles have proven to be resilient. The approval of Höss goes up to 83% with some speculating him to be a favorite pick by Hindenburg due to the sad news of the Chancellor's sickness coming out. He has an estimated 14 months to live. Brownshirts are a more common sight in Berlin, Cologne and Munich as more members join and they are taught by doctrine of the Paramilitary to be patriotic and to act with integrity. Occasionally during the Sunday morning services, they would sing Hymns. Small amounts of rearmament continue by using private buildinga and such. The investigation concludes over Italy's actions in Austria and the allegations are proven to be true by the German Court. The Pu is outraged but with the depression in full swing, it is best for action to be taken later as Höss recommends and with him being as a strong voice of the people, his standing becomes supported. With moderate investment after the removal of old military bases in the heart of Germany, a new military base is planned to be made outside Trier as a way of continuing keeping up our military game. A diplomat is sent to Britain to discuss ending the 100,000 infantry limit and give permission to allow the German government to conduct militaristic activity in the Rhineland (Player Response).
- Chinese Diplomacy: The Chinese government asks to purchase surplus WWI German equipment, including 500,000 M1918 Stahlhelms. Also China is interested in further developing relations with Germany.
- Yugoslavia: Yugoslavia has been having a wonderful time. We continue our propaganda to unify the various ethnic groups in our nation, and work toward a fairer and more representative governmental system. We raise taxes slightly, and spend that money on infrastructure. Our current leader is Alexander I, but as part of the new governmental reforms, he has little domestic power, and domestic issues are decided by parliament (and a House of Lords equivalent appointed by the King, known as the Chamber of Deputies), which is currently controlled by a centre-left party called Slavic Unity. This is done in order to continue our efforts to unify and to not make non-Serbians feel unempowered. At the Zagreb Conference, we propose the Association of Neutral States, an alliance and trade organization, and ask attendants to join (MOD RESPONSE for Ethiopia, Spain, and Mexico. Do I also need responses for the Four Brothers members who aren't being played if Sweden has agreed?). We ask all attendees of the conference to give input on our proposal, and hope to establish this new alliance in 1931.
- Soviet Union: With the deflection of the Recession and the further development of the Soviet Interior specifically in Siberia as well as the Donbass region of Ukraine, the NEP begins to be modified under Bukharin to Achieve specific goals over five years known as "Five Year Plans" With minimum goals to be met, followed by Maximum goals to be possibly hit as well. The plans all sit well within projected goals but with more investment as well as higher influx of government assistance to the workers who reach the highest goals in their respective industrial and agricultural sites. The NEP's have seen much success in not only increasing the standard of living but also the revolutionizing of Russian Agriculture and the heavy expansion of the Soviet Industrial base within a surprisingly high quality, the Soviet economy in terms of technical self sufficiency begins its realization as Factory foreman are now Soviet Citizens and not hired foreman from other countries. The Oil Industry having had much tech reverse engineered or even increased in efficiency becomes a worthy rival to western components it is known as one of the most potent oil industries in the world up and coming. The Soviet engineers after securing French repeting guns as well as a few models of the Mexican Mondragon begin to work on a new rifle which comes to fruition this year. Known as the AVS-30 the rifle boasts a ten-round magazine, uses a 7.62mm round, and takes standard infantry equipment with bayonettes and such. However, some field testing reveals that the bolt system is unsatisfactory and shows that the rifle much include better protection from dirt and the elements which prompts a quick redesign into the AVS-31 which simplified the bolt system, controlled recoil a bit better to allow for controlled automatic fire if needed, and allowed the weapon to be a bit less picky on ammunition quality. The AVS-31 is quickly adopted and nearly 300,000 units are produced this year alone, enough to arm the re-designated 1st Field Army. Soviet Equipment is also further modernized as the expansion of the automotive industry and the easing of restrictions on owning cars sees it become a more profitable industry but also sees the Soviet Army adopt motorization en masse as it begins to fully outfit its armies with motorized capabilities. Soviet Engineers also begin heavily investing into Mechanized and more superior tank abilities and half tracks begin to be more extensively researched. Taking an extensive liking to a fast attack cavalry doctrine the Soviet Chief of Staff Tuhakchevski sees the performance of the BT-2 and sees various flaws which cause a cautious but rather quick redesign adopting some concepts gained from the Italians designs as well as seen French design concepts the BT-2 is redeveloped into the BT-5 and enters large scale production. Aircraft redesigns also begin coming into place as more effective fighters and close air support craft enter service. The first Soviet Strategic bomber enters service as well. The West to East Program continues in earnest as the two ends of the Greater Trans Siberian Railway connect expanding the entire networks supply load by a significant margin. The development of resources bases as well as the necessity to supply raw materials to Japan has seen Far Eastern Industry take off even further and with expanded logistics this becomes ever more possible. Nikolai Kuznetsov as the Grand Admiral of the Soviet Navy is able to successfully lobby for major support for the modernization of the Soviet Navy starting off firstly with the Baltic Fleet. Taking obvious design influences from Japan many designs are drawn out as blueprints with the first keels of nearly 20 Soviet Destroyers will be laid down in Petrograd utilizing the cities newly expanded shipworks. Seeing the neccessity of supporting the French communists in their civil war a large shipment of arms as well as the Volunteer "Soviet Foreign Legion" made up of the 3rd Red Guards Division lands in Italy and makes its way with said supplies to the border between France and Italy.
- Socialist Republic of Italy: Italy is headed by Prime Minister Antonio Gramsci, who exercises control over the Socialist Party of Italy. His communist leanings and charismatic nature bring more communists to his cause by the day. The ISP holds a vast majority of the chairs in both the Italian Parliament and the Italian Council of Workers. Though communists hold the power within the ISP, the party remains an alliance of left-leaning people, which includes everything from anarchists to communists to democratic socialists. Italy maintains Austria as a League of Nations mandate and is responsible for its well-being. Further loosening of restrictions between the Italo-Austrian border continues as Italy wishes to incentivise commerce and movement between the two peoples. With the shattering of the Capitalist Global Economy, Italy's economy sees massive growth. Gramsci hires photographers to document the sudden depression gripping the world. Fiat, which has already been nationalized, is combined with over 18 different manufacturies. Vehicles of war are produced en masse, including the new L5/30 tank, troop transports, tankettes, and trucks. Firearms and naval vehicles receive the same treatment. Italy is at war with the belligerent Kingdom of Egypt, which launched an illegal invasion of Libya last year. Italian warships amass along the Libyan border to keep the seas clear while limited blockades of Egypt are instituted. Roughly 10,000 more troops make their way to Libya to aid in the fighting. Not wishing to provoke the United Kingdom into a needless war, Italian High Command believes that removing Faud and his Wafd followers from power remains the best way to end this expensive war. Non-Wafd groups in Cairo are funded, with Italy aiming to cause riots in Cairo. Italy does not intend on making Egypt communist at this time. Furthermore, an assassination attempt on Faud and his family is funded. The assassination will be performed via cyanide or, if that fails, the use of armed gunmen (MOD RESPONSE NEEDED). However, Italy is willing to negotiate peace with Egypt under the following terms: (1) war reparations to Libya, particularly to the bereaved families who lost loved ones in the fighting; (2) Egypt may not field more than 50,000 men at any given time; (3) A non-aggression pact will be signed by the two nations. Further hostilities will result in harsher terms. In January, Italo Balbo leads the first formation flight across the South Atlantic. These formations are worked into aeronautic theory in the Italian People's Air Force.
- United Kingdom: With the French forces in exile winning victories in Corsica, the 48th, 1st, 2nd and the 3rd Infantry Divisions as well as the 1st Armoured Brigade are all dispatched to Corsica to aid in the conquest while the naval forces under Chatfield escort them and provide naval support. The 4th Infantry Division remains at the Mareth line still fortifying the place. The 51st Division is deployed to French West Africa. With the depression steadying out the economic measures in place are maintained for now. A new monoplane is experimentally trialled although it is regarded as currently infeasible due to insufficient engine power but to be revisited later. New work is made on a 57mm anti-tank gun known as the QF six-pounder. Construction continues on the HMS Goblin and its sister ship begins construction the HMS Werewolf while there is an expansion in the number of torpedo, dive bombers and carrier fighters required to outfit the new carriers. Continued expansion of the number of destroyers as well as more submarines. The military is not actively recruiting but is incorporating the troops raised previously and still expanding and further training the territorial army. Construction of defences at Marsa Matrouh begins with aims to build light entrenchments. Further expansion of the air force with plans for improvements over the current aircraft as a design competition is placed for a new fighter. Continued construction of the Vickers Medium Mk II along with the Lewis carrier and trucks built by private companies. For conscription, addresses must be provided along with names for all men aged 18 to 25.
- Egypt Dip: The kingdom asks the British Arms Company if they could buy 300 tanks, 60,000 Lee-Enfields, 100 warplanes, radios and other modern military gear.
- British Dip: We will sell the Egyptians whatever they can afford.
The Great Dust Bowl terrorizes many farms across America, causing a severe shortage of food and agricultural imports worldwide.
King Faud of Egypt is put out of commission when an attempted assassination lodged a bullet in his shoulder blade. The Muslim Brotherhood gains massive support and begins attacking the Wafd Party that previously led Egypt's revolution.
As most Nationalist supporters in Germany are local to Bavaria, the National Bolshevik party pulls back to concentrate their efforts in that region. The new headquarters of the National Bolsheviks are now in Munich, being the second close contender against the National Socialists among conservative groups, and third overall after the KDP.
There is a peasent uprising in San Salvador.
Lappish people in Finland revolt against the Finnish Republic.
Brave New World is published.
Charles Lindburgh, Jr. is kidnapped and murdered at the age of 20 months.
Zoroastrians construct a fire Temple in Yezd, Iran.
- United States: Franklin Roosevelt is killed in a trail derailment en route to the Democratic National Convention. The 1932 presidential race is narrowed at the party conventions. The republicans chose Herbert Hoover with Charles Curtis as his running mate. The democrats chose John Nance Garner with Joseph P. Kennedy Sr. as his running mate. The west turns against the GOP with soring popularity rates with Garner. Hoover presses for protectionism and heavy fiscal polices in order to solve the depression fully. Garner promises a "New Road" for the American people. Meanwhile, President Linroot continues his support for Free France and throws together an arms sale of US Enfield 1917 rifles to Free France in order to boost the economy a bit (Mod Response). However, Linroots neglect of the Midwest looses the GOP much support in the heartland. On November 8th, the polls and ballots come in. At an amazing 531-59 electoral college map, John Nance Garner wins the presidency. His coalition with Northern entrepreneur Joe Kennedy pays off as New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and New Jersey go for Garner. Hoover walks away defeated.
- Persia: Persia officially joins The ANS organization. In a gesture of good faith the Shah invites His Royal Highness Alexander I of Yugoslavia for the opening of The Yalarid Dam. The Shah gives an interview to an American newspaper for the first time.
- Yugoslavia: Happily accepts. The king visits the Shah in Tehran, and welcomes Persia into the ANS.
- Soviet Union: The Politburo and the Supreme Soviet finally address two concerns to Premier Bukharin. The lack of Agrarian reform which is beginning to show unrest within the extremely lower class Peasants in the State, and the arbitrary limit put on the Far East Settlement Program. Bukharin decides to hit both issues in one fell swoop. Seeing as the system for requests to move to the prosperous east is backed up with nearly five million applicants, Bukharin sees another glaring issue of the mass flight to the east away from the central control. Bukharin decides, however, to let the floodgates open, confident in the new developments of Far Eastern infrastructure to handle the mass immigration. He allows one million people to go this year, unheard of but in waves of 250,000 selecting the most appropriate candidates in needed professions. The first wave is to be Industrial workers with some Kulak farmers, followed by the second and third wave of mostly Poor Peasant farms with which under the incentivized settlement of good farming land will become successful middle tier farmers and finally another skilled wave. It is expected that many choosing to settle will gain some form of wealth enough to reinvest into the local economies and hence back to the Soviet state. For millions wishing not to go, Bukharin chooses a more non-invasive method of land distribution choosing to create a "Comrade Kulak" or essentially a local Soviet commissar with a team which will monitor production and effectively request necessary investment from the government itself. The project is termed Collectivization but only collectivizes groups of the extremely poor peasants who are given certain incentives toward being employed by the collective farm including a generally livable payment wage. As it is somewhat expected for these collective farms to eventually be financially self sufficient the Soviets begin collectivization of the various smaller plots of land while noticeably avoiding the Kulaks and allowing their successful farming policies to continue. This does the job of effectively beginning the process of land reform, as well as allowing those hardy enough to tackle the East. The Soviet Highway system also begins construction in earnest as the growing auto industry has effectively blown up as many richer urban Soviet citizens are unexpectedly able to feed into the industry and buy cars. Bukharin sees this as a champion of the NEP and carefully manages the system to prevent huge major capitalist enterprises from taking shape as he keeps them purposefully small or purposefully under state control specifically as many of these are major providers for the military. The first Highways connect Moscow to Petrograd as well as Moscow to Volgograd which are the first two main branches of highway to be completed with branches to begin extention to Kiev, Minsk, and then further toward other major Soviet cities. From 1921-1933 it is noticed that the Soviet industrial workers have expanding from 4.3 million to upward of 11 million and the Soviet Union is effectively the 2nd largest industrial state on the planet. With the Baku Oil fields becoming the primary vector for almost half of Global oil supply the influx of Capital remains a bulwark in Soviet domestic development as the West to East Plan begins to close out and the launching of Bukharins Militarization plan begins. The retooling or development of a massive Soviet Defense Industry is Invisioned able to fully equip and support up of 2.8 million men and begin the huge development of the Soviets Motorized, Mechanized, and Armored elements which begin to be effectively produced for the 1.5 million men currently in the army. The AVS-31 sees wide adoption by the Red Army as it becomes the Standard Rifle of the Soviet army beginning the Phase out the Mosin-Nagant into tertiary or lower equipment echelons and Garrison units.. The Soviet Air force also makes a noticeable advancement this year as it launches its first modern Monoplane figher the Tupolev I-14b boasting a Soviet Made powerful Radial engine which on close inspection bears many resemblances to the Wright engine albeit a tad less powerful. The Soviet aircraft is slated as the first Standard air superiority fighter. More development is slated into Tactical and Strategic Bomber aircraft with slated design reveals for 1935. Ilyushin delivers the IL-1 a close air support craft that is meant for an untested doctrine of close support and dive bombing. Neglecting armor plating it is expected that heavy aerial cover will provide acceptable cover for the Soviet close attack aircraft. A large number of transport aircraft also come into service. In continuation of his workings and with now a few hundred aircraft to make his mark, Tukhachevski mobilizes an army in a major wargame in Ukraine with Bukharin and the Politburo in attendance to showcase the newest developments in his "Deep Battle" Doctrine which grows in popularity and looks to be fully adopted as the military doctrine of the Soviet Union. Further support for the French Communists is sent through Italy as well as through Proxies in Germany which facilitate the delivery of Russian Semi-Automatic AVS-31 to the French Communists. On the naval front the Petrograd naval institute continues to design blueprints for new ships with the Destroyers to be laid down next year after a delay due to a last minute change to the Destroyers weapons compliments. Covert Finnish expats are sent into Finland to begin starting up Communist cells in the country and flare up remaining communist sentiment in the country. As armored and auto industries begin to develop west of the Urals The Far East finally gains a claim to fame as many Aviation industries set up shop in the favorable conditions east of the Urals.
- The Hellenic Republic: Prime Minister Georgios Kondylis continues the heavy investment in the Greek economy from previous years. Many of these efforts are dedicated to educational and industrial infrastructure. Hundreds of schools and miles of roads are built. This includes a system of major roads to connect the large Greek ports to the less developed interior and other cities. These efforts, lead to huge popular support for Kondylis as the economy begins to truly recover. The military begins an expansion designed to reemploy thousands as both the Kilkis and the Lemnos are modernized drastically. The dual eight-inch guns mounted in the smaller side turrets are replaced with 12 inch main battery guns in single turrets. This helps to move the pre-dreadnoughts into the modern age with improved firepower. The fire control systems from the Krete are copied onto the battleships to improve their combat ability. The army adopts radio communication helping to develop the Greek technology industry.
- Peoples Republic of Brazil: The new Carabina 32, C32 for short, is introduced as the new standard rifle of the Brazilian ground forces, as well as "pistol-carabines" (similar to the Mauser C96 OTL). The air force is now equiped with light machine pistols. Trucks and radio is introduced as well, to make communication easier and more efficiant than messaging per horse or motorbike. The infrastructure program continues as well. The Brazilian government supports the peasant uprising in San Salvador, with helping them to fund a party to install a system, that puts the peasents interests in action, similar things are done all over South and Central America, especially Bolivia. In Rio de Janeiro, the first official radio station is opened, the first song to be broadcasted is the song Na Pavuna by singer Almirante.
- Yugoslavia: Yugoslavia has been having a wonderful time. We continue our propaganda to unify the various ethnic groups in our nation, and work toward a fairer and more representative governmental system. We raise taxes slightly, and spend that money on infrastructure. Our current leader is Alexander I, but as part of the new governmental reforms, he has little domestic power, and domestic issues are decided by parliament (and a House of Lords equivalent appointed by the King, known as the Chamber of Deputies), which is currently controlled by a centre-left party called Slavic Unity. This is done in order to continue our efforts to unify and to not make non-Serbians feel unempowered. At the Zagreb Conference, the Association of Neutral States is founded. We would like to offer all non-aligned medium countries to join this association, and we reaffirm that we seek peace and neutrality when it comes to the major powers.
- Staat von Österreich (State of Austria ): After years of planning Engelbert Dollfuss, Leader of the Austrian Brotherhood launched a successful coup d'etat which saw the removal of Franz Koritschoner from power as Dollfuss was declared Führer (Leader) of Austria.
Following his coup Dollfus led a successful liberation campaign which saw the removal of Italian forces from Austria and the end of the LoN Mandate over Austria.However, with the threat of an Italian invasion, Dollfuss would like to form a military alliance with both Germany and Hungary as he seeks British support against the Communists. After the coup Dollfus ordered the execution of the leaders of the Communist Party of Austria as he declared the Treaty of Saint-Germain-en-Laye to be null and void as the Army of the Fatherland was formed with already over 100,000 men. After seizing control of Austria Dollfus reopened the rail systems between Austria and Germany and began repairing those that were damaged by the Italians. As the new Leader of Austria, Dollfus declared that he will make Austria Great again and that he will return Austria to its former glory.
- Gonna need an algo for that coup...
- Please let me or another mod know if you need any help making your algorithm against Italy. -Nate
- Turkey: The next phase of the country's industrialization begins as agricultural output reaches new heights because of its increased mechanization and advancement. Through American investment in the Anatolian Development Commission, the production of steel and various vehicles or industrial products are priorities and funded by the Turkish development fund. The government envisions a "steel belt" of production ranging from Bursa, Ankara and Konya, although presently only Bursa and Ankara begin construction of factories. In addition, Ford and Studebaker envision the construction of automobile factories in various cities such as Izmir and Bursa while International Harvester places a bid to create a factory in Konya for the production of tractors and other farming equipment, which begins construction as well. The Alexandretta refinery of the Oil Company of Turkey (OCT) finishes all construction and tests this year and begins production of gasoline and other forms of refined fuel for the benefits of local consumption as well as international sale. Diplomatically, the government is concerned about the civil unrest taking place in Egypt. Caliph Abdulmejid II sends a supporting note to the wounded Faud, wishing him a swift recovery and the apprehension of the terrorists involved. The Turkish patrol fleet docks at Alexandria, a move widely interpreted as Turkish support for the current government. The Turkish government begins to take a more active role in international affairs as the domestic situation improves. Turkey offers to send military advisors to Afghanistan to help the government there retain control. Turkey also asks Bulgaria if it would be interested in engaging in talks for the purpose of growing economic and political ties (Mod response for both, please). Militarily, three more destroyers enter the navy by the end of the year alongside ten more torpedo boats, reaching a total of nine destroyers of all classes and forty torpedo boats of all classes. The general staff realizes that its air force, a holdover from the Ottoman era, is not advanced or large enough to compete with other emerging air forces in the world. As such, Ottoman-era planes are gradually moved into reserve while new planes are purchased from abroad. The government puts in an order for 90 Bristol Bulldogs from the United Kingdom, with one-half of that order due by the end of this year and the rest due the following. The air force also begins to look into innovative and better means of bombing enemy troops and fortifications, as seen by the need during the war with Armenia and Operation Seljuk.
- Afghanistan: Sure, why not?
- Bulgaria: We agree to increase relations.
- Sultanate of Misr: Faud is the King. The government's attempts at improving literacy rates among the poor by forcing children to read English and Arabic books (this is looked down upon but is still used in poor areas). The Wafdi and Muslim Brotherhood begin to gain more support due to the Great Sadness. The Egyptian economic is worked on as trade with Persia and British States continue. The Egyptian National Car and Motor Industry is called upon the work on military cars and tanks. We begin to dig and look for Oil mostly in the Sinai, creating the "National Oil Group." Government officials are sent to the Sudan region to help improve areas while giving the idea of an Egyptian and Sudanese friendship, called Hezbism. The "National Military Headquarters" is worked on in Egypt with plans of training military officers and other high tier leaders. Following the battle of Tobruk, the Egyptian army pulls back to the city of Sidi Barrani,where defense are amassed,The supply lines are improved on as the coastal roads are used to supply men, mostly coming from Marsa Matruh. We call for 3000 men to the fight as various political groups in Egypt form paramilitary groups and ten tanks to Sidi Barrani. The Egyptian Air Force begins bombing campaigns on the border on Libya. With the assassination attempt on his life King Faud places his son Farouk into power. Farouk sends 7000 men from Sidi Barrani to raid Muslim Brotherhood Strongholds across Egypt (with the aim of arresting members over killing them), the national police is called to prevent any physical fights between mobs or groups in the streets of Egypt. We ask Britain if we can buy 5000 rifles, 12 tanks, and eight modern warplanes. We send an envoy to Italy asking for White Peace.
- Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs: Accepted.
- Empire of Japan: Ikki Kita's cabinet continues the transformation of the Japanese government. They successfully establish the so-called Shintaisei (New National Structure) and passing the National Mobilization Act granting Ikki Kita's government sweeping powers and fusing the Military and government structures, the Imperial diet remains. However, it is reduced to an effective rubber stamp. protests by communists and liberals turn violent after what appears to be communist agitators open fire on security forces in Kyoto outside the Pan-Asian summit. In response all parties are ordered to dissolve themselves and unite under the Imperial Assistance Association effectively turning Japan into a one-party system. Most parties comply. However, there are holdouts from the Communist Workers Party, and from a coalition of Liberal parties known as the Democratic restoration association. Both organizations are crippled by a series of raids carried out by the Kempeitai, 3000 individuals are arrested while another 567 who resist are killed in the process. State media goes into overdrive explaining that the groups who opposed the reforms are anti-imperial agitators who serve the interests of foreign agents. In an unexpected speech, Emperor Showa at the urging of Ikki Kita and the military speaks on national radio to the people assuring them that the new changes are for the benefit of the Japanese people, and for bringing about a new era of peace, stability and prosperity not only for the citizens of the Empire but for all of Asia. With the recent surge in economic prosperity and standard of living brough about over the past decade, most of the Japanese public either embrace the new government enthusiastically or accept it out of fear of reprisal and loyalty to the State and the Empire. having cosolidated power into Shintaisei Ikki's government goes about completing the transformation of the empire with the Imperial citizenship Act, which establishes equality before the law for all those who reside within the empire, allowing for non-Japanese to become members of the military, and protecting their rights as citizens of the emperor in exchange for complete obidience and loyalty to the state. Puyi and members of both the Qing and Korean monarchies emplore their former subjects to embrace the new direction of the Japanese Empire and work together with their benevolent protectors to bring about the dreamed Yellow Empire. The Kempeitai are restructured into the core of the new Imperial Security Forces (ISF) in charge of domestic security in the empire and its dependents, while a foreign branch is created known as the Gaikoku Choho-bu (foreign intelligence department) or GC who are tasked with identifying risks to Japan's interests abroad and acting to protect them.. Industiral expansion continues at an ever growing pace as domestic and Asian markets grow. Major investments go into strategicly important industries to fuel this growth, in particular heavy industry, and Japan's growing chemical industry. The IJA's demands for new armement and machines of war raise a new question on securing a steady supply of Rubber, while accessible right now, it is noted that as Japan's industry and military grow more rubber will be required to satisfy demand. To ensure that they dont go without the military commissions chemists to develop a synthetic rubber based on research in the west, offering them generous pay, and fully equipt instalations. Electric engineering also recieves heavy subsedies to develop better tech for industrial production and for military usage. The new Arisaka 31 is finished and based on adjustments implemented by Soviets on the bolt system and gas release the Arisaka 31 is given the go ahead for mass production with it being designated to become the new standard issue rifle for the IJA and IM (Imperial Marines). The Mitsubishi Type-5 tank renamed the M-32 tank is finished and production begins though the convertable system is dropped as it is noted to be impractical and a time waste, reducing the cost of production of the new tank. Work on new monoplane designs begin to replace the aging biplanes, using the new engines developed for the M-32.. Research into halftracks continue and the IJA approach the Soviet military to jointly develop a prototype for the new system. Naval expansion continues in earnest with work designs for the new fleet carriers being completed and construction, the new carriers are named Sora (Sky), and Kaiyo (ocean). new faster destroyers are also commissioned. The IJN continues to flex it muscles carrying out patrolling of sealanes from the home islands all the way to the Siam as a show of strength and as a commitment to the protection of trade and stability in the Orient, and the East Indies. The first Pan-Asian summit is held in the old Imperial palace in Kyoto, with representatives from Indochina, and Siam meeting with Ikki Kita and Emperor Showa. The summit lays out our points, the creation of an alliance and economic pact between the countries of the Orient. Ensuring the indpeendence of all asians, achieving parity with the west, and embracing state capitalism to ensure that all of asia can achieve properity. (mod response to if Siam and Indochina agree, please). Japan also formally returns Saigon and Hanoi to the Indochinese leadership promising to protect their indpendence at all costs and the Japanese government recommends that Saigon be made the capital of Indochina with the former colony organizing itself into a federation under the leadership of Vietnam.
- Siam and Indochina agree to these points. -Nate
- Manshu: Under Ikki Kita's propaganda campaign a new dirrection is taken with emphasis being placed on the way Manshu has historically been the frontier region of East Asia and China having for centuries been separate from China. In school the Yellow Empire becomes mandatory reading for all students independent of ethnicity. Industrialization continues as Shinkyo/Hsinking, Port Arthur, and other major cities grow rapdily. Surveying for oil and minerals continue. Steel production in Manshu increases drasticly as improved mining is achieved and growing demand in the Home Islands and abroad fuel production. Coal and Iron mining are given priority to fuel the growth of heavy industry in Manshu. Buddhism grows in popularity amongst many in Manshu due to increased government sponsorship with many new Buddhist temples being built across the region. Anti-Japanese activities are proactively suppressed with a mix of military operations to stamp out remnants of anti-Japanese guerrillas, and economic and education policies that are aimed at improving the lives of those who collaborate with the protecterate government. The Kwantung army begins expanding their defences in Manshu building heavy fortifications and expanding the railway system throughout Manshu.. In an effort to win the hearts and minds of the people, the government in Shinkyo grant amnesty or commuted sentences to those who give up their fight while those who conrtinue to resist are mercilessly put down. Resistance continues to decline as those who attempt to resist are wiped out in counter-insurgency operations by the Kwantung army, and areas deemed pacified are turned into Green zones under strong military protection. Steadily more Japanese start moving to Manshu due to the growing economic opportunities there working for either Mantetsu (South Manchurian Railway) or for the major zaibatsus, a lot of destitute farmers in the home islands are granted parcels of land through generous loans from the Imperial government to improve the agricultural output of the region.
- Choson: Keijo continues to grow in terms of wealth and population as industry grows on the peninsula. Integration efforts continue with the sister cultures policy being embraced more and more by Korean intellectuals and individuals seeking advancement in the Empire. The Yellow Empire also becomes widespread amongst intellectual circles with most collaborators enthusiactically embracing the idea of ethnic equality within a the Japanese Empire. The government begins laying out plans to extend the prefecture system in use in Japan to the Peninsula. Buddhism starts picking up in popularity.
- Taihoku: The prefecture system is officially extended to the rest of the island, and the colonial administration is given orders From Tokyo to begin laying the ground works for the formal integration of the island into the Home Islands.
- Choson: Keijo continues to grow in terms of wealth and population as industry grows on the peninsula. Integration efforts continue with the sister cultures policy being embraced more and more by Korean intellectuals and individuals seeking advancement in the Empire. The Yellow Empire also becomes widespread amongst intellectual circles with most collaborators enthusiactically embracing the idea of ethnic equality within a the Japanese Empire. The government begins laying out plans to extend the prefecture system in use in Japan to the peninsula. Buddhism starts picking up in popularity.
- Chinese Diplomacy: In response to Japan's earlier offer, Premier Wang Jingwei agrees to attend the Pan-Asian summit.
- Jap Dip: Wang is welcomed with open arms to the Summit, and in private Ikki Kita offers to help fund the reconstruction of China in exchange for a lease on the Island of Hainan to establish a naval base there, while it would remain under Chinese administration.
- Chinese Diplomacy: Wang Jingwei asks why Japan need one there if they already have Indochina under their influence.
- Republic of China: A delegation is sent to Kyoto for the Pan-Asian Summit. The governmental and administrative reforms continue under the leadership of Premier Wang Jingwei and his right hand men, Chairman of the Central Military Commission Chiang Kai-shek and Investigation and Statistics Bureau Director Dai Li. The economy continues to develop and the modernization of China continues, with more factories being worked as well as railways being expanded to better connect the country. With the depression overcome, investment into Chinese industry from foreign companies begins growing back to pre-1929 levels. The government has taken steps to encourage not only foreign investment but also to get Chinese banks to invest in domestic projects, which increases now that they are able to perform fractional reserve banking with the lifting of the silver standard. The provincial governments, with their new leaders, continue their own projects on regional economic development based on the specific situation of their provinces. The Yangtze River valley area sees the most rapid economic growth by far, but north China and the southern provinces also have had a lot of development, while the central and western provinces are in the earlier stages of developing. Efforts to connect these to the coast through railways and encourage investment there are being made by the Kuomintang and the local governments. The military remains at 1.5 million active duty personnel and national conscription is more effectively enforced, bringing in hundreds of thousands of young men for two years of service. The IJA model is enforced with the help of Japanese instructors to provide basic training, while provincial military schools and the Whampoa Military Academy provide instruction for future officers. Measures are taken to encourage retired European officers with experience to also come teach at these schools. The two naval schools, at Tianjin and Canton, also took in cadets to train the officer corps to man China's warships recently purchased from France.
- Socialist Republic of Italy: Italy is headed by Prime Minister Antonio Gramsci, who exercises control over the Socialist Party of Italy. His communist leanings and charismatic nature bring more communists to his cause by the day. The ISP holds a vast majority of the chairs in both the Italian Parliament and the Italian Council of Workers. Though communists hold the power within the ISP, the party remains an alliance of left-leaning people, which includes everything from anarchists to communists to democratic socialists. Italy maintains Austria as a League of Nations mandate and is responsible for its well-being. Further loosening of restrictions between the Italo-Austrian border continues as Italy wishes to incentivise commerce and movement between the two peoples. With the shattering of the Capitalist Global Economy, Italy's economy sees massive growth. Gramsci hires photographers to document the sudden depression gripping the world. Fiat, which has already been nationalized, is combined with over 18 different manufacturies. Vehicles of war are produced en masse, including the new L5/30 tank, troop transports, tankettes, and trucks. Firearms and naval vehicles receive the same treatment. Fascists in Austria have attempted to seize control of the government. The troops already present in Austria along with loyal Austrian communists fight to defend Vienna from fascist forces. On the third day of the fighting, more Italian reinforcements arrive. Italy requests Yugoslavia's assistance in fighting this villain of the Great War, as they had already lent assistance in 1923.
- United Kingdom: With Corsica having fallen we leave the divisions from there last year with orders to dig in. The 1st Armoured Division is formed with the addition of the 3rd Armoured Brigade. Research begins on a new universal medium tank to equip all British forces though current focus is on the Vickers Medium Mk II. Further construction of the Lewis carrier with the intention being that the Lewis carriers to support the armour. Construction of Bedford WS and VYC models continue. Monoplanes continue trials with the RAF but nothing mass production yet and work begins on designs for a transport aircraft. British forces in Egypt continue to dig in at Marsa Matrouh. We watch events in Austria closely but do nothing right now. Naval expansion is furthered with the ordering of another aircraft carrier in addition to the two already under construction.
- Weimar Republic: With declining health, Höss visits the Chancellor giving his respects to him after suffered a seizure. A week later in April, the Chancellor resigns. Hindenburg has already premeditatedly decided his pick. Rudolf is elevated to Chancellor. In the meantime, the Nazi Party is not very happy with the National Bolshevik Party. Their new headquarters is burned down by Nazi supporters will a mob calling the people fleeing the building swine's which showed the true extremity of the public and hatred to the Nazbols in Munich. Chancellor Höss as a response to this says to the National Bolshevik leader in a conference that they had chosen the wrong location and was inevitable will the resentment for their party growing. Höss organizes a secret investigation into their party and discovers that they had been caught in a moneylaundering case with money transfers based on the burglary rings and transfers of money that are hard to trace the source of which leads to as a reaction by the government to no longer recognize their organization. As a shock to the nation, many target the leaders and members of the former party. The leaders are tried and are given 20 years in prison. In other news, unemployment continues to go down and stability of the Marke becomes more closer to achieve while a new currency model is being cooked up by bipartisan groups within the Reichstag. New factories open outside some cities as it becomes more easier to do. The Control Act begins to be worked out to give the state the power to control the banks to have a better control of the Central Bank and give power back to the government to ensure that the central bank avoids manipulation from outside parties.
- Commonwealth of the Philippines (associated state): President Manuel Quezon continues to strengthen the power of the executive branch. Due to his popularity among the public, the Philippine National Assembly approves a law placing a limit of two six-year terms on its presidency, instead of a single six-year term. The electoral system is revamped due to the influence of regionalist sentiment, being based on equal representation for all of the Commonwealth's eighteen province-level subdivisions in an electoral college. The unicameral Philippine National Assembly is also divided into upper and lower houses: the Senate, to which each province-level subdivision appoints five Senators to; and the House of Representatives, in which a specific number of seats are allocated based on their proportion of the national population (changed every census). The settlement program in Mindanao is successful due to tax incentives and cheap land grants. Missionary activities within the region are partially successful, though animosity between the Christian settlers and the Muslim locals occasionally erupt into small-scale conflict. Economic development recovers as the countries most afflicted by the Greater Depression recover. Construction on the Pan-Philippine Highway continues. The Bank of the Philippine Islands encourages expansionist monetary policies and continue to issue cheap loans and credit to stimulate internal growth and commercial activity. The Laguna munitions plant and the Cavite steel mill are completed, marking the Philippines' entry into heavy industries and both facilities are placed under government jurisdiction. The agricultural sector is heavily emphasized due to its profitability: grains (rice, maize), as well as lucrative cash crops (sugarcane, coffee, cacao), are cultivated. The cultivation of fiber crops (cotton, abaca, hemp) is reemphasized, due to investment in the textiles industry. Key strategic cities such as Manila, Lingayen, Aparri, Cebu, and Davao are fortified, with shore batteries and anti-aircraft defenses being built. Artillery pieces are imported from the United States. The next order of ships (as set by the Treaty of Manila) is expected to come by 1934, which would double the Philippine Navy from its current number ~30 vessels (constituting the Manila Squadron).
Under Japan's direction, the Empire of Indochina is proclaimed as a union of Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam. However, it immediately falls into civil unrest as the Hindu-Buddhist communities of Laos and Cambodia refuse to be subjugated by the minority ethnic group of Vietnamese, taking the revolutionary Liberation Army with them.
Due in part to their redistribution program, a severe dought in the summer in Naples causes a wide-scale famine to affect all of Italy. As large death tolls from starvation are expected, the Neopolitans suspect this to be a more deliberate act against them from the more despised Northern Italians.
The Great Depression, combined with the Stock Market Crash and the Great Dust Bowl, reaches an apex to severely hamper economies across the western world. Germany and China, due to their recent internal economic issues, feel the worst brunt of the recession.
Marshal Petain takes command of the Free French efforts on the mainland in the French Civil War, although remaining in his central command in Algiers. The civil war turns ferocious, although the Free French have more popular support, they face far greater challenge against the Soviet and Italian forces.
The Great Emu War is fought between the ruling Commonwealth of Oceana and the indigenous Emu population. After many hard-fought battles, and massive casualties on both sides, the Emus end victorious and force the Oceanic government to a peace treaty.
The Golden Gate Bridge is constructed in San Francisco.
American radio programs have the first superhero shows such as The Shadow and The Lone Ranger.
- Socialist Republic of Italy: Italy is headed by Prime Minister Antonio Gramsci, who exercises control over the Socialist Party of Italy. His communist leanings and charismatic nature bring more communists to his cause by the day. The ISP holds a vast majority of the chairs in both the Italian Parliament and the Italian Council of Workers. Though communists hold the power within the ISP, the party remains an alliance of left-leaning people, which includes everything from anarchists to communists to democratic socialists. Italy maintains Austria as a League of Nations mandate and is responsible for its well-being. Further loosening of restrictions between the Italo-Austrian border continues as Italy wishes to incentivise commerce and movement between the two peoples. With the shattering of the Capitalist Global Economy, Italy's economy sees massive growth. Gramsci hires photographers to document the sudden depression gripping the world. Fiat, which has already been nationalized, is combined with over 18 different manufacturies. Vehicles of war are produced en masse, including the new L5/30 tank, troop transports, tankettes, and trucks. Firearms and naval vehicles receive the same treatment. The drought that magically appeared is dealt with by more stringent redistribution of food to affected areas. Instructions for water purification are handed out en masse, along with purified water. Fisheries see massive subsidization, which aids communities close to the shore or within a reasonable distance for transportation. In June, the government begins canning fish and distributing to affected communities, along with what other foods it can spare. By late July, the famine has largely subsided. The death toll was fairly minute. The government begins to look at the causes of the drought. It is discovered that a disproportionate amount of water was being funneled to the fronts by an Italian general. Bordigo purges this problematic general. Though this causes minor supply problems for the time being, it is obvious that the general responsible for this was intending on 'climbing through the ranks.' Bordigo is very vocal about the 'rise of a new bourgeoisie under the dictator of the proletariat.' He advocates a constant revolution, which will prevent problems like this from arising again. However, this rhetoric causes problems between himself and Gramsci. For successfully ending the famine, Gramsci becomes known as Il Patrono. Italy recognizes the Emus. (MORE TO BE ADDED)
- Persia: Persia signs the Soviet-Persian oil deal with the Soviet Union. The deal is to be renegotiated every 15 years. The Shah makes all schools available to girls. He also decides to stop criminal activity and puts police patrols on the roads.
- United States: President-Elect Garner is sworn into office. Garner immediately starts enacting his New Road policies. Congress easily passes the National Industry Recover Act, the Civil Works Act and Farm Security Administration Acts. However, Garner is hesitant on any stance of Prohibition. While Joe Kennedy and many liberal Democrats and Republicans push for an end to the laws, conservatives from both sides say booze is the devil's will and seeks to rid America of its holiness. Garner, a Texan conservative holds his breath on Prohibition citing "more prevalent circumstances requiring government attention". Huey Long, a senator from and former state governor of Louisiana splits with Garner's New Road policies. In the Senate Long proposed the "Long Plan". This includes a new tax code to cap Personal incomes at 100 million dollars and taxing fortunes one percent by the millionth dollar. A second bill included the limit of a one million dollar income and a third capping individual inheritances at five million dollars. Despite being a Southern Democrat, Long is shouted down as a communist and a traitor due to his views on the economy and race. Garner, meanwhile, passes an executive order that recognizes the Soviet Union despite the hatred for communism and the toppling of the French government. Garner hopes to trade with the USSR to revive the US economy. The Glass-Steagall legislation is passed officially known as the Banking Act of 1933, and prohibits banks from holding stock.
- Soviet Dip: Bukharin Agrees wholeheartedly and sends a gift basket personally to the President and his officials.
- Republic of China: The Chinese Republic recognizes the new government of Indochina. The KMT continues the governmental and administrative reforms gradually throughout the provinces. Alfred Saokze is replaced as Foreign Minister by Zhang Qun, a graduate of the Baoding Militay Academy under the Qing as well as having served in the Imperial Japanese Army in the past along with Chiang Kai-shek. Saokze becomes the new Chinese Ambassador to Germany as it is the goal of the Wang Jingwei government to increase China's relations with the Germans. The new Chinese ambassador requests to purchase from Germany a large amount of surplus M1918 Stahlhelms for China. The government implements a response to the new unexpected difficulties caused by the depression, heavily raising import tariffs on foreign products to protect Chinese industry, especially agriculture. The previous nationalization of many of the banks has provided some security to people's savings as Chinese have been increasingly using banks since the late 1920s. The industrialization efforts are hindered by the depression. Meanwhile, in terms of cultural development, many Chinese are seeing greater access to information with the economic development and growth of urban centers, helping in the rise of Chinese nationalism. The government formally makes school attendance compulsory to increase literacy rates as well.
- Jap Dip: The Japanese ambassador to China approaches Jingwei and offers to sell the Chinese army type 30 rifles that the IJA phases out at a low cost.
- Chinese Diplomacy: The Chinese government agrees to this deal.
- Soviet Union: Flying in the Face of the ANS and in close cooperation with Communists in Yugoslavia itself, Bukharin sees an opportunity to crush two birds with one stone wiping out the annoyance of the ANS and bringing Finland back under red control. Under the Pretext of helping the oppressed Communists within Finland (which is by and large true since the communist party was made illegal and many Finnish reds stand exiled in Petrograd) the Soviets amass 600,000 troops on the Finnish border and under Tukhachevskis appointed commander, General Semyon Timoshenko. Mobilizing nearly 800 of the newer BT-5 Tanks with their special track systems for high speed land and ice crossing the Soviets also bring up their new BA-03 Halftracks significantly mechanizing the Soviet Army. To a point the Soviet army is also motorized as the Army begins huge penetration assaults using Tukhachevskis Deep Battle Doctrine combined with new Combined Arms implementations. The Soviet air force consisting of nearly 500 fighters, 300 Close Air Support aircraft and 150 strategic bombers built as a test wing for new Soviet design concepts also join into what is being called Operation "Red Finland". As this goes the Soviets now with a strong and now growing Robust economy as well as now open trade to the Great Power United States is able to call up nearly 500,000 more troops brining the Soviets total military strength to two million strong. The modernization of the rifle program continues with 75% of the Soviet Army having adopted the AVS-31 as its standard rifle and the Mosin-Nagant being further regulated to lesser roles or sniper teams. The development of new machine guns as well are to be Tested for Operation Red Finland. While yet another war is on Bukharin sees this as the final challenge, the final rectification of the Travesty that befell the corrupt and bloated Russian Empire. With such a powerful Soviet state on his heels, Bukharin sates the Far left and National Bolsheviks which remain who were chomping on the bit for one of the final reclamations of Former Russian imperial glory and hence also a prestige boost for the Soviets as they further add to their legitimacy as the True Successor to the Russian Empire. As a result of the flash points over the recent years Bukharin deploys upward of one million men into Garrison positions along the Western regions in Byelorussia and Ukraine, and brings roughly 400,000 into various garrison positions across the Far East putting roughly half of these along the Manchurian border as the Soviet army has reached a point of defending nearly all its borders. The final 200,000 are brought into Central Asia should Persia make moves to counteract the Soviet Invasion of Finland as technically they are obligated to defend the Finns. While also preparing for the Four Brothers Alliance to intervene and support the Finns the Soviets begin training upward of 500,000 more reservists and begin ramping up military production. The West to East plan finalizes and coalesces in a big ceremony in Novosibirsk and this year another one million people are allowed to push into Siberia taking advantage of the benefits and subsidies. The Soviet economy somewhat suffers as the price market is deemed to be unstable and inaccurate and Bukharin looks to revalue goods and materials into what their actual worth would be across the world which is expected to be finished by the next year. The Industrial potential of the Far East now expanded and actually realized alongside the new Industrial complexes in Ukraine are seen as the crown jewels of the West to East Program as from ancient west to the newly developing east the Soviet Union has finally tamed its vast territory and sees major technical and key industrys open across the state. Aviation in Particular takes root across Siberia. The Soviet naval program is finally put to work as well but only ten of the expected 15 destroyers are laid down but not in the Baltic but instead in the Black Sea in Sevestopol which has larger more modern dockyards. The program is expected to pick up steam next year and even more as the liberation of Finland ends. Bukharin begins looking to bring certain members into his inner circle. He even sees Promise in the younger Nikita Khruschev whom he begins mentoring heavily. The Soviet Defense Industry continues to advance in leaps and bounds as the insights gained from the Japanese and the further development of new equipment based around lessons learned in various wars recently fought give the Soviets an unparalleled edge in fighting modern war. Nikolai Bukharin demands the submission of Finland and its renunciation of its membership in the ANS and the Four Brothers alliance. The Red army makes a noticeably and fierce gain against the Finnish effectively seizing and pushing past the Mannerheim Line and making a beeline for Helsinki. However, the Logistics of the Region making further maneuvers impractical and higher than predicted casualties due to the intensity of Finnish Resistance leaves Timoshenko Building logistically for the next part of the operation within the next year. The new Soviet Doctrine put to the test does prove its mettle, though.
- The Republic of Finland does not submit to the Soviet Union. -Nate
- Hashemite Kingdom of Syria and Arabia: King Faisal, blessed of that name, dies this year in the pressence of his wife and ministers. In his final days Faisal issued numerous proclamations for the unity of Arab people into the modern world. In accordnace with their agreement, the Syrian Parlaiment proclaims King Ali ibn Hussein Al-Hashem, who is also the King of Nejd and Hejaz, as the monarch of Greater Syria. Thus, Ali is crowned in Damascus as the King of both Syria and Arabia, in the traditional Patriarchal succession. 30,000 Syrian soldiers are sent into Iran in accorandce with our alliance to the Shah. With the merge occured bewteen the kingdoms in Syria and Arabia, many people who fill the Syrian Parliament are brought in from among the council of Muslim scholars from Medinah. Toward the end of the year, a strong Wahhabi coalition forms in the parliament, rallying to the call of purging the Kurdish problem from the Middle East altogether. The majority coalition in the parliament, however, remains liberal. A deal is reached out with Japan, to utilize the port of Jeddah in Hejaz for closer export of oil to the Far East in exchange for Japanese aid in constructing either ships or tanks
- "Persia sends its condolences hearing the death of King Faisal.
- Commonwealth of the Philippines (associated state): The Philippines fully recovers from the Great Depression because of the success of government policy in fostering growth. As Japan is viewed by Philippine leaders as increasingly belligerent, a national draft is established with all men from the ages of 18–25 years required to serve at least six months of active service, plus two additional years of reserve. As a result, the number of military personnel (including both active and reserve) surges to ~500,000. The Laguna munitions plant, with a maximum capacity of ~150,000 units annually, produce M1903 Springfields and its carbine equivalent (the standard service rifle), the Thompson Machine gun, and infantry mortars. However, more sophisticated equipment such as heavy machine guns and artillery pieces are imported from the United States. To prevent an easy conquest of the islands, Manila, Lingayen, Aparri, Cebu, and Davao are fortified, with shore batteries and anti-aircraft defenses being built. In order to stimulate economic growth and engagement in the commercial sector, the Bank of the Philippine Islands maintains its policy of granting companies low-interest loans and cheap credit. The agricultural sector remains paramount, as it accounts for the majority of employment and government revenue. The government promotes the cultivation of cash crops, as there is already a surplus of grain such as rice and maize – the latter mainly used for animal feed rather than for human consumption. In particular, fiber crops such as cotton, abaca and hemp are grown in larger quantities in addition to sugarcane, coffee and cacao. Since Philippine exports are exempted from American tariffs, the Philippines manages to dominate the American market for these respective goods. Asides from the agricultural sector, the Philippines also specializes in the production of textiles and steel, with the majority of the industrial equipment imported from the United States. Infrastructural programs, mainly the construction of the Pan-Philippine Highway, and the expansion of telecommunications and sewage systems within urban areas, are continued. The rapid growth in the volume of goods traded prompts a need in the construction of an extensive railway network, particularly trains carrying freight.
- Peoples Republic of Brazil: The Central Committee of the MNB decides to introduce a new section of the Party, the Pantera Jovem (Young Panthers) is founded. The organisation is founded as a paramilitaric group of mostly young men and boys, but girls are recruited as well. They are part of the youth wing and of the paramilitaristic wing of the MNB. The Prestes government aims to eradicate preventable "heavy diseases" until 1940 with state-enforced mass vacinations and funding more hospitals mainly in rural areas. The military is using radios now widely. The Ministry of Defense agrees to send 3500 volunteers to help out the communists in the French civil war. (RESPONSE NEEDED)
- Yugoslavia: Seeing the USSR invade Finland, a fellow ANS member, we are caught in a tough situation. We now see that we lack a large enough power in our "alliance" to effectively defend ourselves. We do not declare war on the USSR, out of fear for our own future. Therefore, we essentially abandon the ANS. This failure causes great uproar in the Kingdom. Recent government reforms had meant that the King is in charge of foreign affairs, and this massive failure has caused hatred toward him, both by ethnic non-Serbs and by ethnic Serbs (for painting them in a bad light). A major assassination attempt by a fascist Bosnian group fails, and several Bosnians are arrested and hanged in connection with the assassination attempt. Meanwhile, extremism grows in the leadup to an oncoming election next year, both on the side of ethnic nationalists and communists. The current government continues to spread propaganda to unify the country and we invest in production of guns and ammunition for our soldiers.
- Weimar Republic: The republic once again had its framework hit by the heart of the depression. The people can no longer support the establishment. The Nazis are seen as the last hope by a majority of the population and now, Höss sees it as time for change. Hindenburg passes away as well mysteriously although doctor's believe it was due to natural causes. Höss takes part in the reception of the dead leader during his funeral. The Public Works initiative has contained the unemployment fortunately. The Enabling Act is passed in February after some weeks of now minimal opposition to the proposal stalling further moves but as a small minority against it, it passes. With the Nazis the majority as well and them now the lead majority, the KPD sees fallout from it as now investigations into other political parties ocxur and it is confirmed that they had money transfers from Italians and leaders are charged. Their licenses are revoked. The SA aren't much of an issue as a high system in vetting and employment leads to fine and respectful people just doing their protective services of standing and serving by the public interests. In the meantime, the German Markes are removed from circulation slowly throughout the year while the new Reichsmarke taking major usage as a much more stable currency. Rudolf Höss wishes to hold a summit with the leader of Hungary in hopes of forming an alliance and forming greater ties with other nations of Europe. In the meantime, workers Unions are due to be all gone and replaced with the German Workers Union as a unified union under the state body. Höss begins working on a resolution to alter voting laws within general elections having inspirations from the beliefs of technocracy and beliefs within Socrates' philosophy of the ill success of the standard democratic model. Stability within the German markets is slowly restored fortunately by the end of the year although the effects of the depression remain in full swing. The future seems to have a slight glimmer of brightness. In the meantime, conscriptions are re-introduced and will the public works innitiative, this opens a new window for employment.
- Empire of Japan: Research and development into halftracks continue. Production of M-32 tanks begin as older models are phased out. The Ki-27 is developed by Nakajima and wins the bid for army contracts, leading to the beginning of production. Expansion of the navy continues. Industrial expansion continues, as does economic growth. Research and development in chemical and mechanical engineering continue. Troops in Indochina begin engaging in counterinsurgency activities alongside Vietnamese troops who are armed with Japanese weapons against Cambodian and Laotian rebels in the Indochinese interior, carrying out sweeps against rebel holdouts, and setting up checkpoints and prison camps to separate the insurgencies from potential recruitment areas. More to be added later.
- Turkey: The Great Depression's worst year yet since 1929 plays a large role in hurting the Turkish economy, and much development is halted this year. Even so, some aspects continue to move on and help Turkish society grow. Ford's car plant in Bursa opens late this year and begins production of cars and other vehicles, which allow Turkish citizens and the military to move throughout the country better than before. The steel plant at Ankara also is finished late this year and begins to produce steel for domestic and international uses. The new planes of the Turkish Air Force all arrive at the conclusion of this year, increasing the number of planes by ninety and increasing the total size of the air force to nearly 200 planes of all kinds. In Afghanistan, Turkish advisors do well helping the government there reduce successful attacks by tribal forces and increase the ability and strength of the royal government.
- United Kingdom: With Petain taking command of Free French forces in France, we send him support in the form of supplies such as rifles, ammunition and artillery. Seeing the use of semi-automatic rifles we revisit the Howell Automatic Rifle and decide the major advantages it would hold over the current Lee-Enfield and plan to construct and re-equip the army with the L1A1 SLR which is designed with a gas operated rotating bolt and production begins next year. While the Bristol Bulldog and the Hawker Fury remain in production, research continues on monoplanes with the Hawker Thunder expected to enter production next year while Gloster continues with their own designs. The Starling tank design is finished and production will begin next year. Continued construction of the Lewis carrier and Bedford OY trucks. Designs for new landing craft begin. Radio production is increased with plans to deploy them at lower levels and to make smaller portable radios as well as having them for all tanks. The QF six-pounder is produced in further numbers along with the Ordnance QF-18 pounder as a field gun. The HMS Goblin finishes construction and is commissioned while the other two carriers remain under build. The 1st Armoured Division is collated in England, only the 2nd Infantry Division is left in the Mediterranean at Tunis while the other four divisions are brought home. The 1st Canadian and the 2nd Oceania Division are sent home as well. It's good the government didn't reserve any of their changes since the economy takes a hit again and these measures are maintained to try to keep demand high. The RAF constructs bases on Jersey and Alderney.
- Argentine Republic: To continue to uphold the economy the government continues to fund public road works and natural conservation efforts. We offer to help improve and maintain Uruguay's railroads and offer to help improve infrastructure, the offer is also extended to Paraguay. (Mod responses) Rivers in La Plata are surveyed for the possibility of providing hydroelectric power to the nation. The improved roads lead to more growth in the Argentine automotive industry. The government tries to open the aircraft industry by offering better prices to domestic designers for designs.
- Uruguay agrees, Paraguay does not -Mod
The civil war in Afghanistan concludes with the Agha Khan assuming direct control over the nation.
The Japanese counter-insurgency is largely effective against the Indochinese rebels, as they retreat their focus back to the major cities of Vientian and Angkor Wat. However, the official government of Indochina in Saigon is proving ineffective to exert control over the nation beyond the Red River jungles with their budding military.
The Four Brothers alliance of Denmark, Sweden, and Norway send in military support for Finland. In spite of their initial defeat in Mannenheim, the coalition forces fall back to defend Helinski. Unsure of their future existence, the Finnish Republic works out a covert plan for continued guerrila tactics in the case Helinski falls.
In Great Britain, groups of college professors lobby to several parliament ministers in favor of the Eugenics Movement. Although not the majority of scientists, they are very adamant in their anthropological theories of relative human superiority, as well as proposed social plans to implement those theories.
Oil is struck in Arabia, unearthing its vast substance potential known for a long time
The 1933 Italian Famine being dealt with, the death toll is very marginalized, and mostly only in the inland cities of southern Italy. Still, the Neopolitans blame the disaster on the northern Italian cities that have pushed the socialism on the rest of the nation.
Having won their independence in the Great Emu War, the Emus decide the restructure their government into the Socialist Emu Republic, and align themselves with the Soviet Union (not really)
- Persia: Persia sends its air force to the UK for training. The army is brought up to western standards by British trainers.Persia buys 200,000 enfields, 120 aircraft, ten tanks and five armoured cars from the UK. In addition, artillery is sent from the UK to the Pahlavi line. After many disagreements the Shah expels the Soviet ambassador from Persia.
- I don't think you can afford that, and besides you don't really have a large enough army to use those. -Nate
- fixed to a reasonable number -Nate
- Dominion of Canada: Despite the events of the Great Depression, in combination with the stock market's crash and the Dust Bowl, having reached their apex, Prime Minister R.B. Bennett continues with his strategy of increasing trade within the British Empire and maintaining the tariffs he imposed at the start of his term upon imports from outside the Empire, with continued limited success. All across the country the popularity of the Conservative Party and Bennett in particular continues to fall due to the inaction of the current government, with members of the Communist Party beginning to organize workers in the relief camps created by the Unemployment and Farm Relief Act, whose conditions were extremely poor. Minister of Trade and Commerce Henry Herbert Stevens chairs the Royal Commission on Price Spreads and Mass Buying, through which he exposes abuses by big business, attacks corporate interests, accuses them of price fixing, and calls for radical reform. Early in the year the Prime Minister agrees to set up a parliamentary committee to examine price fixing and corporate manipulation. However, by the end of year Bennett has yet to implement any of the committee's recommendations, ignoring them instead. Angry with the continued inaction of Bennett when it comes to in any way attempting to actually fix the economic situation leads to the resignation of Stevens from Cabinet near the end of year. Also discontent with Bennett's inaction and with an election coming up next year, three other cabinet ministers urge Henry Herbert Stevens to challenge Bennett for leadership of the party within the Conservative caucus next year, with over half of the 137 Conservative MPs pledging to support Stevens. Earlier in the year the Bank of Canada is chartered by and under the Bank of Canada Act, as a privately owned corporation, in order to ensure the bank is free from partisan political influence, with its operations planned to start sometime in spring of next year. Throughout the year as the government continues to refuse to intervene in the economy, partisan differences grow, with initially radical protest movements sending their own political parties into the mainstream, the more prominent ones being the CCF, or Co-operative Commonwealth Federation, founded two years earlier in 1935, and the Social Credit Party of William Aberhart, founded this year, both of which originated in the province of Alberta.
- Socialist Republic of Italy: Italy is headed by Prime Minister Antonio Gramsci, who exercises control over the Socialist Party of Italy. His communist leanings and charismatic nature bring more communists to his cause by the day. He is known affectionately as Il Patrono by the people or Italy. The ISP holds a vast majority of the chairs in both the Italian Parliament and the Italian Council of Workers. Though communists hold the power within the ISP, the party remains an alliance of left-leaning people, which includes everything from anarchists to communists to democratic socialists. Italy maintains Austria as a League of Nations mandate and is responsible for its well-being. Given the rise of fascism and Austrian nationalism, the Austrian government is purged of outwardly Italian influence. It is replaced by an all-Austrian Communist Party headed by Alfred Klahr. The National Socialists and their ringleaders are detained, yet it becomes clear that they pose a danger to society. The first Autorità correttive per campi di lavoro e insediamenti or Accli, is built in the Italian Alps. Fascists, political oopponents found guilty of wrongdoing, and murderers are sent to this camp, where they perform labor for a number of years and are taught the values of socialism. The death rate remains fairly low; Acclis are meant to re-educate and re-integrate society's worst back into society, not to kill them. The Fascists, however, have little hope of seeing the outside world anytime soon. Though Austria appears free of Italian influence, Klahr remains in contact with Italy and the two outwardly enjoy cool, if not icy relations. Away from the press, however, he remains heavily influenced by Italians. Klahr calls for the unification of the German peoples under one communist banner. Decreased restrictions between the Italo-Austrian border continues as Italy wishes to incentivise commerce and movement between the two peoples. With the shattering of the Capitalist Global Economy, Italy's economy sees massive growth. Gramsci hires photographers to document the sudden depression gripping the world. Fiat, which has already been nationalized, is combined with over 18 different manufacturies. Vehicles of war are produced en masse, including the new L5/30 tank, troop transports, tankettes, and trucks. Firearms and naval vehicles receive the same treatment. The angry Neapolitans find friends in the more anarchist wings of the Italian left. Demonstrations begin in February, which quickly lead to an explosion of artistic expression. A massive music festival takes place in Naples. Though the demonstrations Peter out and the message is quickly lost in the sounds of Jazz, the festival itself gives rise to the Neapolitan Blues, a new face of Italian Jazz. The movement is a stark contrast to the Big Bands that urge collectivization in northern Italy. By December, few recognize the anarchist undertones of Neapolitan Blues, though it is described as 'whiney' by many northerners. The upsurge in music leads to mass civilian purchase of the radio. Italian broadcasters scramble to improve their coverage. A number of physics papers published this year interests the academic wing of Italy. Gramsci, who called intellectuals to his cause many years ago, has fostered a thriving scientific community in Rome. Enrico Fermi publishes a paper on neutron-induced radiation. He, like many scientists of his time, believes that the power of the atom could be harnessed in a reactor. Secret: Italy offers asylum to Marie Curie (should she be alive by the time the letter reaches her), her family and Werner Heisenberg (a Jewish physicist in Germany). (Mod Response needed)
- Curie and Heisenberg migrate to Italy -Mod
- Hashemite Kingdom of Syria and Arabia: Ali continues to administer both kingdoms. He is growing old, however, and his only son Crown Prince Abdullah is gradually given charge as Regent of the Kingdom. The Syrian parliament considers continuing the tradition of the late King Faisal, and pass the crown in patriarchal succession to Abdullah ibn Hussein, the current King of Iraq. Meanwhile, the Wahhabis make large successes in the election system of the parliament, blocking many of the seats once held by the moderate coalition. Industry continues to be advanced. With the recent discovery of oil in Arabia, King Ali calls a coalition of independent Middle Eastern states to jointly control the flow of oil from the region (Turkey and Persia Response). The military equipment continues to be built up with foreign support, with new planes and rifles purchased from abroad. We ask Japan and America to further specify the support they give to the modernization of the military.
Persia agrees to the plan.
- Yugoslavia: Public support for Yugoslavia's government has been massively declining. As the new election nears, the King denounces the Communist Party. Leading up to the election, polls show Communist Josip Broz Tito with a double digit lead at 47% (there are four candidates with over 10%, all of which are hostile toward the monarchy). As a result, King Alexander I abolishes the constitution, and announces that he will serve as both Prime Minister and King, and further abolishes all parties. He then jails Tito just one week before the scheduled election. As a result, protests grow, as does support for the communist party. Fellow Communist Mosa Pijade organizes the Communists to march on Belgrade, and Tito launches a hunger strike while in jail. On election day, despite the lack of voting, the Communists flood the royal neighborhood of Dedinje. When gunfire breaks out, the police surrenders to the large crowds, and King Alexander is arrested and publicly hanged in Belgrade. Crown prince Peter is also killed, and Prince Tomislav and Prince Andrej are arrested. Tito is freed from jail. A communist government is declared with Tito serving as President of Yugoslavia, and Pijade serving as General Secretary of the Communist Party. Tito and Pijade rename the country to the "Federation of Socialist Yugoslav States", or FSYS. This is made up of eight Socialist States: Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia, Montenegro, Kosovo, Vojvodina, and Macedonia. Tito then names a cabinet: Pijade additionally takes on the role of Minister of Finance. Karlo Stajner is put in charge of the party's newspaper, the Borba. Duro Dakovic is named minister of Labor. Edvard Kardelj is approved as Minister of Foreign Affairs. August Cesarec is named Minister of Culture. Tito assumes the role of Minister of Defense in addition to his Presidential title. Vladimir Copic is put in charge of the central police force, and his brother, Milan Copic, is put in charge of intelligence. As part of the new system, industries begin to become centralized. This begins with the centralization of the railroads and telegraphs, which also are used by the government as tools of propaganda. Some land is collectivized and nationalized, other land is communalized. All factories are nationalized. A new law requires all men to serve in the army for one year at age 20. We ask the Soviet Union and Italy for alliances and large investments in our infrastructure and military. We seek to generate electricity in the countryside.
- United States: After an armed shootout in Louisiana and after running out of ammo, Bonnie Parker and Clyde Barrow surrender to Federal Police and are sent to Alcatraz Federal Penitentiary for life on many charges of first degree murder. The Bonus March occurs following the low of '33. The Bonus Marchers protest for their Great War service bonuses. Garner sends in the army after a police shooting devolves into a riot in Washington DC. Lead by General Douglas MacArthur, the 12th Infantry and 3rd Cavalry descended into the streets to control the riot with six M1917 Ford tanks commanded by George S. Patton. Against Presidential orders, General MacArthur pursues veterans across the Anacostia River under claims they would over throw the US government. Following the Bonus army being driven out of DC, Marine General Smedley Butler comes forth before Congress delivering a speech claiming US elites were trying to hire him to use the bonus marchers to launch a Fascist coup in America. The "Business Plot" allegations and investigation never goes far with federal agents interrogating one or two men while leaving others alone as nothing but a conspiracy theory. Meanwhile, Huey Long in opposition to the limited procedures of the "New Road" announces the "Share Our Wealth" program over national radio. On air he argues for Social Security, old-age pensions, veterans would be paid what they were owed, and other policies mentioned in his Long Plan to the Senate. Long sets up the Share Our Wealth Foundation which gains many supports. Long's silent condemning of anti-sematic Father Charles Coughlin of Michigan looses him some supporters in the rust belt. The National Industrial Recovery Act is passed by Congress along with the Military Recovery Act of 1934, which would allow American industries to start producing weapons for the American Armed Forces to revitalize the armed force in response to Soviet aggression in Finland, Italian military actions in Austria, and Brazilian influences in Central and South America. Meanwhile, under Presidential orders, Marine Forces under William B. Caperton in the Dominican Republic prepare to leave the country for Haiti and Nicaragua by 1936 while Secretary of State Cordell Hull prepares to set up Rafael Leonidas Trujillo Molina as President of the Dominican Republic. The USS Ranger is launched. Meanwhile, Swing music starts to become popular in the cities. Meanwhile, Delta Blues becomes popular among black communities Chicago and the south while the Harlem Renaissance continues in New York. General Airlines launches a commercial passenger flight from Washington DC to New York.
- Commonwealth of the Philippines (associated state): Manuel Quezon manages to secure his second term as President (acquiring about 85% of the popular vote). However, due to constitutional limits, it will also be his last. As an effect of global recovery, the Philippine economy begins to pick up steam. In order to stimulate economic growth and engagement in the commercial sector plus prevent deflation, the nationalized Bank of the Philippine Islands (BPI) grants prospective companies low-interest loans and cheap credit. As its chief source of profit, the agricultural sector remains paramount in government policy. The Philippines continues to produce large quantities of sugarcane, coffee, cacao, exotic fruits in addition to grain. The industrial sector also booms, with the heightened production of textiles, steel, and both heavy and fine machinery. In particular, the production of textiles is complemented by the cultivation of fiber crops such as cotton, abaca, hemp, and piña. With the success of the Cavite Integrated Steel Mill, the Philippine Heavy Industrial Corporation initiates an ambitious plan to construct an oil refinery (including distillation processes, to acquire petroleum distillates) and a plastics plant to kickstart a domestic chemicals industry. In recognition of the importance of infrastructure in facilitating inter-provincial commerce and promoting connectivity, the government continues construction on the Pan-Philippine Highway, which seeks to connect all major islands through an extensive highway and ferry system. Simultaneously, the government begins planning for the construction of a comprehensive network of freight railway. Prompted by regional instability, the National Assembly applies the current conscription law to all able-bodied men, and women aged 18–25. Conscientious objectors could, however, opt for six months of civil service instead. As a result, the number of active personnel is currently at 127,593 persons, while the number of reservists sits at 510,372 persons. The Laguna munitions plant continues to produce bolt-action rifles and carbines, light machine guns and infantry mortars to fulfill military demands. More sophisticated equipment such as heavy machine guns and field artillery are imported from the United States. However, the National Arms Corporation expands the production capabilities of this plant, specifically commencing small-scale production of more potent artillery pieces and also M1917 Enfields. The second order of ships (as stipulated by the 1928 Treaty of Manila) arrives, driving the total number of ships within the Philippine Navy to 60 ships: four battleships, ten cruisers, 14 destroyers, and 16 frigates and submarines each. Manila, Lingayen, Aparri, Cebu, and Davao are fortified. To deter aerial and naval forces, shore batteries and anti-aircraft guns are built.
- Sultanate of Misr: Faud is the King. The government's attempts at improving literacy rates among the poor by forcing children to read English and Arabic books (this is looked down upon but is still used in poor areas). The Wafdi and Muslim Brotherhood begin to gain more support due to the Great Sadness. The Egyptian economic is worked on as trade with Persia and British States continue. The Egyptian National Car and Motor Industry is broken into two new companies: The National Arms (military weaponry and cars) and The Car Company of Cairo (used to make cars). We begin to dig and look for oil mostly in the Sinai, creating the "National Oil Group." Government officials are sent to the Sudan region to help improve areas while giving the idea of an Egyptian and Sudanese friendship, called Hezbism. The "National Military Headquarters" is worked on in Egypt with plans of training military officers and other high tier leaders, opening this year with the topic "The Libyan War". The national police is called to prevent any physical fights between mobs or groups in the streets of Egypt. With the raids on Muslim Brotherhood Headquarters, members of the group goes underground as an underbelly of Brotherhoodism gains steam in jails. A group called the Arab National Council (ANC) is formed by Nur al Misr, they call for Egyptian civil rights and Arab nationalism. We ask Britain if we can buy 3000 rifles, 12 tanks and eight modern warplanes. We send an envoy to the Sudanese leaders asking for the creation of the Nile Railroad, a railroad from Cairo to Khartoum. (MOD RESPONSE)
- Sudan welcomes the railroad -Mod
- Soviet Union: General Timoshenko continues his massive advance on all fronts of battle against not only Finland but the Four Brothers culminating in a series of engagements across Finland's wilderness and frontiers which drives the Four Brothers into a battered form stretching across the Finnish coast to the Swedish border. With reinforcements allowing for a full rebuild of Soviet strength, Timoshenko orders a general offensive across the entire Front. This leads to a series of crushing offensives which split the many divisions of the Four Brothers before Timoshenko personally leads and orders the push to seize Helsinki. A surprise for the Four Brothers is left in store as in the middle of the night during what is considered an ill fated winter offensive sees the first use of Soviet Paratroopers. With heavy aerial support the paratroopers are able to wreak absolute havoc on the defense near Helsinki and the 24th Special Airborne Division is able to secure key points for the now advancing Soviet forces. Helsinki falls in short order and many forces from the Scandinavian countries are either pushed into Sweden or captured. With the fall of Helsinki the Soviets offer peace to the Four Brothers on the grounds that Finland shall be put under the Soviets and that the Skagerrak Straits are to remain permanently open to the Soviets for shipping and military purposes. Bukharin declares once again a victory for the Soviet state as the Supreme Soviet, he himself and the Politburo begin deciding what to do with Finland. As a result of the war and obvious guerrilla warfare tactics being commited the Soviets begin developing their own counter-insurgency tactics to combat Finnish guerrillas. This year with the war having been a perfect preparation for the Soviets military industry the Red army sees a mass increase in its available equipment with nearly 2000 Fighters, 1000 Close Air Support Bombers, 400 of its new Strategic bombers, as well as many models of transport aircraft being introduced or produced. Lessons from the war also prompt the Soviet developmental agencies to begin work on a new Medium tank to handle more intense operations and the BT-5 receives an upgrade as the BT-7 comes into production. The Soviet economy continues to boom as oil, resource extraction and now more importantly exportation of Consumer goods to the wider world has led to an attitude that Soviet products are of good quality and the nation has effectively done what the Tsars could not. An effective industrialization of Russia and its Empire. The development of the Black Sea fleet also comes into prominence as this year ten destroyers are fielded and the consctruction of four cruisers, one battlecruiser and two battleships are laid down in the Black Sea as Bukharin hopes to transform the Soviet Navy into a relatively respectable force. With the end of the war the Soviets send the 500,000 extra troops back into the reserves instead opting to keep nearly two million men as easily callable reserves in the case of a war. The extreme focus now deviated to the Soviet navy is strange but with possible rivals and enemies having major naval forces and the Italians being the only Communist state with a major navy it is deemed this needs to change. Bukharin authorizes the construction of a 50-ship Black Sea fleet including surprisingly two Soviet Carriers in which top tier aircraft designers are invested into creating effective carrier aircraft. Bukarin in a major reorganization of the national police militias creates the Peoples Commisariat of Internal Affairs or the NKVD which stand as not only federal police, but also can be raised as Commissars in the Army set up to create Garrison divisions but in a surprise are put as subordinate to their Unit commanders as Bukharin under advice from Tukhachevski that the Commissars should serve as morale boosters and scribes for units promoting heroism and good deeds which can be leveraged by the Soviet press. They would not be able to interfere with unit cohesian and give contradictive orders effectively making army based NKVD as subordinate to their military units rather than being able to commit show trials and execute unit members or give extremely distasteful orders in contradiction to unit, battalion, regimental or divisional commanders. (mod for Four Brothers, please) A collection of Soviet units including two Armored Regiments, one Motorized Regiment and a large influx of aircraft is sent to the Soviet Forward Positions in Southern France to assist in the French civil war with a stable supply line the Soviets also send the 33rd Rifle Division as support.
- Turkey: Following the negativity of the last year, economic development continues straightforward this year. Steel plants open up in Bursa and Konya while International Harverster's plant in Konya is finished and begins production of tractors to maintain mechanized agricultural growth. Cement plants begin construction near Kirkuk to produce cement and other construction products for the nation. The Ford and Studebaker plants begin producing trucks and cars for both public and private use and some are used by the military as well. Women are permitted by law to vote in general elections this year, a step up from the local elections they could participate in for the last three years. The general staff, recognizing the growth of conflicts in the world, from the French Civil War ot the Soviet invasion of Finland, urgently requests a boost in military spending to prevent Turkey from being caught unaware in any potential conflict. With the Turkish navy being the strongest it's ever been, significant focus is brought to the army and air force, with officers concerned that its arms are not up to date and its arsenal of planes too small. As such, the government issues a purchase request to other nations. Specifically, the Turkish army requests to purchase 200,000 Mondrágon Modelo 1908 semi-automatic rifles from Mexico, to be delivered over a course of three years, and the Turkish air force requests to purchase 100 Avia B-534 fighter planes from Czechoslovakia, to be delivered over two years (Mod responses please). Internationally, the Turkish government is happy that Afghanistan has resolved its issues and offers limited development and support to help it get back on its feet. In addition, the Turkish government says it is willing to consider the offer of the Arab government, but wishes for more information before making a decision.
- They agree -Mod
- The Hellenic Republic: Prime Minister Georgios Kondylis continues the heavy investment in the Greek economy from previous years. Many of these efforts are dedicated to educational and industrial infrastructure. Hundreds of schools and miles of roads are built. This includes a system of major roads to connect the large Greek ports to the less developed interior and other cities. Due to large popular support for Kondylis, the opposition undertakes drastic measures. A socialist revolt in northern Greece along with a strike of Greek Socialists spurs the prime minister to declare a national emergency. The military is placed under the direct command of the prime minister and his cabinet. The revolt is crushed and the strikes are declared illegal and unpatriotic. With newfound support the navy purchases another 24 of the fast attack boats in a modified version.
- Peoples Republic of Brazil: The religions of christianity, judaism and islam are now, similar to Venezuela, organized in so called "peoples churches", for example Jesus is now seen as a proto-communist revolutionary. The religions are interpreted to fit the socialist ideology, preaching solidarity and equality as main components of the religions. Prestes continues his work on the theories of "Socialism of the Southern Hemisphere" in his book "Socialism and the technological progress", where he argues, that the highest goal of a socialist society is the founding of a prosperous and peaceful utopia. This goal is only able to reach with the adaptation of modern technology and science, yet this goal is only possible to achieve through the class struggle against reactionary and bourgeois forces. The government adapts the idea of technocracy into the leading party with an immense spending on biological, chemical and technical research. The brazilian secret service starts to launch the coup in Bolivia in May (MOD RESPONSE NEEDED). While the economic aid is given to many other South american nations, to "form a free and justice American continent" which is not dependent on US or British help.
- United Kingdom: Since communist French forces apparently didn't surrender, the 50th Division seizes Madagascar. The 2nd South African and 1st African Rifles seize French Gabon and the 1st Canadian and an Indian division take French Cameroon to conclude the war. The 44th and the 51st Divisions are brought back to England for operations on the continent. Seeing the civil war in France continue we decide to make landings in northern France in support of our Free French allies and in opposition to Soviet and Italian intervention. The 3rd Division commanded by Walter Pitt-Taylor landing at Cherbourg covered by the Home fleet and RAF squadrons from Aldernay and Guernsey. Sufficient radios are made available to the division. With the fall of Cherbourg, we move the 48th, the 1st, 4th, 44th, 51st Infantry Divisions and the 1st Armoured Division in who were waiting at ports along the Jurassic coast. The overall force is commanded by Archibald Montgomery-Massingberd. From there we advance to a line going from Lessay to Carentan. The 44th, 51st, 1st, 4th and 48th Divisions assume positions directly on the line going from coast to coast and they dig in supplied with concrete, steel and barbed wire. These units can shift along. The 1st Armoured and the 3rd Division take positions to act as a strategic reserve. The RAF can operate from bases at Jersey. Production of the Starling and the Hawker Thunder begins as well the L1A1 SLR while the Gloster Reaver is still under research along with the Rolls Royce Merlin. The Ordance QF 18-pounder Production of the Hawker Fury, Bristol Bulldog, Vickers Medium Mark II and the Lee-Enfield is wound down in favour of newer models. The HMS Werewolf is also finished.
- German Reich: the dismantling of the old system had been completed. The Nazi's had achieved their dream and after taking out their enemies who had been convicted of corruption and have been given well deserved sentences, now Fuhrer Rudolf focuses on one of the most valuable programs as of yet. Third Reich Interior Minister Wilhelm Frick, one of the most influential Nazi figures of the time,] and Hjalmar Schacht, who (while never a member of the NSDAP) was an initially sympathetic economist, introduced a wide variety of schemes in order to tackle the effects that the Great Depression had on Germany, were the main key players of German rearmament policies . Dummy companies like MEFO were set up to finance the rearmament; MEFO obtained the large amount of money needed for the effort through the Mefo bills, a certain series of credit notes issued by the Government of Nazi Germany. Covert organizations like the Deutsche Verkehrsfliegerschule were established under a civilian guise in order to train pilots for the future Luftwaffe. The re-armament began a sudden change in fortune for many factories in Germany. Many industries were taken out of a deep crisis that had been induced by the Great Depression. In the meantime, this would open many jobs to the public and also re-industrialize many regions to take advantage of such works. The German Ironworks Initiative is founded to fund jobs within the mining sector while other sectors start the redevelopment of shipyards along Baltic shores. In the meantime, Germans continue making defences along the French border. The Reichstag now reformed remains as a location for local and regional laws to be made while heads of state make national level policies and regulations. In lower Germany, national parks are made with the bill going through the Reichstag and successfully passing will Höss's full support. Production of the German Panzer I is expanded within private factories which could produce large machines like such for storage and to be used as a future asset if needed. The Heinkel He 111 also sees it's designs laid out to the military department. The SPD party holds on as the remaining liberal stronghold but I'll support is left leaving it's approval barely around mediocre. The vereinigte deutsche Parteisphäre is established forming a union between all remaining political party into a super-party in which multiple parties coexist under one group and can be appointed by the educated populace. Approval of Höss remains extremely high around 89% and the unemployment continues to fall. The Unemployment with the backing of new government development and such years to a Renaissance of the German Society. Pornography and Communist works are banned with them being sent off to be burned or stored for historical purposes or reuse as a conservation effort of materials during a time still fighting back the depression’s hangover within Germany. With the French incapable of maintaining itself, we sieze the Saar.
The President of Bolivia is assassinated by a communist plot. However, the conspiracy falls apart and the attempted coup fails.
Denmark, Sweden and Norway signs an armistice with the Soviet Union, agreeing not to send troops against Soviet constituents without conceding defeat. The Finnish Republic surrenders, although several political figures escape Helinski and leads the continuing guerrilla warfare covertly.
A Fascist coup takes over the government of Spain and puts Francisco Franco in power, inspired by the success of Venezuela and Hoss in Germany.
The Irish Republican Army launches a coordinated attack against greater Belfast, causing civil unrest in Eire.
Silent films die out in favor of talkies. The Golden Age of Hollywood has begun.
From here on please add all requested map changes to the section on the talk page.
- Persia: Persia signs the Anglo-Persian alliance and allows the UK full access to Persia so long as Persian officers can accompany them. The Shah invites His Royal Highness George V to Persia.
- United States: President Garner decides to pressure Venezuela from their attempts at gaining French Guiana by sending a small battle group led by Battleship Division 3 comprised of the USS New Mexico, USS Idaho, and USS Mississippi, two cruisers, and six destroyers. To secure the area from Brazil the Dominican marine force depart Port-au-Prince on route for Cayenne to land and occupy French Guiana to prevent Brazil for gaining any territory there. Richard Hauptmann, the killer of Charles Lindbergh Jr., is tried and executed in the electric chair. Amelia Earhart becomes the first person to fly solo from Hawaii to New York. Congress passes the Federal Writers Project Act. The Neutrality Act of 1935 is shot down in Congress after it fumbles. Meanwhile, in the senate, Huey Long goes on a 15.5 hour long speech. The strongest hurricane to ever hit the US hits Florida on Labor Day. Huey Long travels to Florida and delivers a speech praising his Share Our Wealth program as something that could gather the funds to repair Florida "in a jiffy" in early September. Following the Florida speech, Huey Long announces his candidacy for president across national radio. The China Clipper flying boat starts delivering mail between the US and the Philippines. Huey Long, after returning to Louisiana, is nearly shot by a gunman named Carl Weiss. The bullet misses as Weiss was tackled and subdued by Long's bodyguards. Weiss is convicted of attempted murder and sentenced to ten years in state prison. The M2 light tank enters service in two variants: the M2A1 which sports two machine gun turrets, and the M2A2 which supports a single 37mm gun in a rotating turret. The Marmon-Herrington CTLS is also entered into service as an infantry support tankette.
- Sultanate of Misr: Faud is the King. The government's attempts at improving literacy rates among the poor by forcing children to read English and Arabic books (this is looked down upon but is still used in poor areas). The Wafdi and Muslim Brotherhood begin to gain more support due to the Great Sadness. The Egyptian economic is worked on as trade with Persia and British States continue. The Egyptian National Car and Motor Industry is broken into two new companies: The National Arms (military weaponry and cars) and The Car Company of Cairo (used to make cars). We begin to dig and look for oil mostly in the Sinai, creating the "National Oil Group." Government officials are sent to the Sudan region to help improve areas while giving the idea of an Egyptian and Sudanese friendship, called Hezbism. The "National Military Headquarters" is worked on in Egypt with plans of training military officers and other high tier leaders, opening this year with the topic "The Libyan War". The national police is called to prevent any physical fights between mobs or groups in the streets of Egypt. With the raids on Muslim Brotherhood Headquarters, members of the group goes underground as an underbelly of Brotherhoodism gains steam in jails. A group called the Arab National Council (ANC) is formed by Nur al Misr, they call for Egyptian civil rights and Arab nationalism. We ask Britain if we can buy 3000 rifles, 12 tanks and eight modern warplanes. 80,000 men are stationed in Aden, by the end of the year they conduct a invasion into Yemen marching toward San'a. Egyptian men begin to work on the Nile railroad, starting all across the Nile with the plan of bumping into each other and completing the tracks.
- Hashemite Kingdom of Syria and Arabia: Ali dies this year, and his son Abdullah ibn Ali is appointed Crown Regent until proper succession laws have been decided on. The true line of succession, in patriarchal tradition, is Abduallh ibn Hussein, the current monarch of Iraq. The Syrian Parliament petitions the British government to allow them to crown Abdullah, the current king of Iraq, as monarch of both Syria and Arabia. They present an offer to Britian in which the legislative governments of both nations will remain separate, and therefore all the economic and political treaties that currently exist between Britain and Iraq will remain in place (Britain response). Industry and infrastructure continues to be advanced with both internal and external economy. Oil is produced from Arabia in vast quantities, and exported to many nations in the world. Our current trade union with Persia seeks to reduce market competition and allow exports to be easier. We ask to purchase mass quantities of rifles from Mexico for our military (Mod response), and we seek to purchase outdated prototype tanks from Greece. All our oil is our oil until people ask us a deal. In a surprise turn of events in the election this year, the Wahhabis take a slight majority for the first time in the Syrian Parliament.
- Mexico agrees to sell a portion of its outdated firearms, but is unable to sell mass quantities or complete Arabia's request fully at this time.
- Yugoslavia: A year into Communist rule, approval rating for the government is soaring. This upward trend continues, partially thanks to the government-controlled radio, newspaper, and railroad systems. Additionally, all non-socialist or communist parties are banned. The two remaining royal princes are publicly hanged in Belgrade, as is royalist General Draza Mihailovic. We adopt the NEP, allowing small, local storefronts, refineries, and manufacturies to remain privately owned, but larger industries, such as railroads, banks, and foreign trading. As the Communist government raises income taxes to be an average of 65%, revenue starts pouring in. Large portions of this money go into infrastructure and industrialization projects. Unemployed workers are also put to work on these projects. Tito outlines three main projects which he hopes to accomplish by the end of 1937. First, a government-owned railroad system will be constructed, connecting the cities of Belgrade, Zagreb, Sarajevo, Skopje, Ljubljana, and Nis. We ask Italy and the Soviet Union to invest in this railroad system, and to connect it to the Italian railroad system. Our second major infrastructure project focuses on electricity. In order to provide electricity to the countryside, we offer incentives to coal miners and work to use power lines to connect the entire countryside to a power source. Lastly, we open a Department of Industrialization, which focuses on zoning laws which favor the development of factories, investing in new production companies, and providing rewards to the most effective and efficient factories in producing goods. Franc Snoj is named Minister of Transportation, Duro Pucar is named Minister of Justice, and Drago Marusic is named Minister of Industrialization. We name Marko Oreskovic as Ambassador to the Soviet Union, and Lavo Cermelj as Ambassador to Italy. We continue to build our military. We ask Italy and the Soviet Union to engage in military training exercises with us so that we can learn better techniques from the more advanced countries. Tito makes public appearances daily and propaganda urging Yugoslav communist unity is spread.
- Socialist Republic of Italy: Italy is headed by Prime Minister Antonio Gramsci, who exercises control over the Socialist Party of Italy His communist leanings and charismatic nature bring more communists to his cause by the day. The ISP holds a vast majority of the chairs in both the Italian Parliament and the Italian Council of Workers. Though communists hold the power within the ISP, the party remains an alliance of left-leaning people, which includes everything from anarchists to communists to democratic socialists. Italy maintains Austria as a League of Nations mandate and is responsible for its well-being. Further loosening of restrictions between the Italo-Austrian border continues as Italy wishes to incentivise commerce and movement between the two peoples. With the shattering of the Capitalist Global Economy, Italy's economy sees massive growth. Gramsci hires photographers to document the sudden depression gripping the world. Fiat, which has already been nationalized, is combined with over 18 different manufacturies. Vehicles of war are produced en masse, including the new L5/30 tank, troop transports, tankettes, and trucks. Firearms and naval vehicles receive the same treatment. The Fiat-Revelli Modello 35 9mm machine gun enters service this year. Meanwhile, the Cannone da 47/32 M35 anti-tank gun is produced, along with the launching of the Sparviero,, Italy's first aircraft carrier. In the Italian People's Air Force, the transport/bomber Caproni Can.133 enters service. An alliance with Yugoslavia is accepted, with Italy ready to allocate resources to build railroads to the new state. Gramsci offers Tito a tour of Rome and welcomes him to the Marxist-Leninist world community. Italy, intending to end the French Civil War, blockades Corsica while the Soviets invade Marseilles. The island is invaded by three Italian divisions. Heavy bombardment from the ships themselves pelts the island. The Navy establishes supply lines between Italy and these soldiers. Italy begins to send nationalist and Communist propaganda throughout French Algiers and Tunisia. No longer should the indigenous people of Africa be oppressed by a government-in-exile. (MOD RESPONSE REQUESTED) In Rome, Gramsci gathers a meeting of academics from across Italy and beyond. Secret: This is a cover for Gramsci, Enrico Fermi, Werner Heisenberg (with aid of a translator), and Marie Curie with the academics of her family discuss the current field of known physics. With the successful induction of radioactivity by Fermi, the group is interesting in the possibility of harnessing the power of the atom. Several elements are proposed, with plutonium and uranium being likely candidates. The Lavender Trials begin in Rome; these meetings and collaborations work toward their lofty goal.
- Brazilian Diplomacy: Brazil asks for the plans of the L5/30 tank, in exchange we offer to satisfy the Italian needs for coffee and cotton for extreme low prices
- Italian Dip: (Secret) Italy is willing to trade plans for the L5/30 in exchange for permission to establish to establish a series of uranium mines and extract the ore back to Italy. As a cover, the tank will be accepted for a coffee trade.
- Brazilian Dip: (Secret) Brazil agrees.
- Yugoslavia: Accepts the tour of the lovely historic city of Rome, and tours the new Yugoslav embassy there.
- Brazilian Diplomacy: Brazil asks for the plans of the L5/30 tank, in exchange we offer to satisfy the Italian needs for coffee and cotton for extreme low prices
- Commonwealth of Oceania: The Oceanian Parliament asks Great Britain if they would be willing to merge British Borneo, Malaya, and Singapore with the Oceanian Commonwealth to ease administrative burdens and place all of British East Asia (except for Hong Kong) under a single and efficient military command. The government goal of 400,000 active men at arms, as set by Prime Minister Lyons, starts to become the minimum requirement for Oceanian security, with an emphasis placed on mobile warfare due to Australia's large landmass and the relative distances of other Oceanian islands. Immigration continues as planned, with only the most skilled of workers being admitted into the country, pushing the population to 11 million. Sea routes for commerce and transportation are established in a Sydney-Port Moresby-Auckland triangle, with these cities acting as the nexus for economic development. To shoulder this development, an expansion of Sydney's metropolitan rail system is undertaken, with the intent to connect Sydney to other cities in New South Wales, while railways are laid down in Port Moresby, Auckland and Wellington to ease tranportation. With a militaristic culture being developed in the country due to the government's programs, defense corporations are offered favorable tax breaks if they set up shop outside of Sydney, and larger tax breaks outside of New South Wales, which sees the construction of Oceania's first tank production facility near Alice Springs and South Island, as well as Tasmania.
- Turkey: The industrialization of the Turkish economy goes well. With the construction of steel and cement plants, the government is able to turn towards the production of war materials, which is considered a high priority as the government believes a small rearmament is required to protect Turkish independence in light of communist aggression and colonial interventions. To that end, a few of the Mondrágon-style semi-automatic rifles purchased from SIG are deconstructed and studied and the government plans to introduce a domestic version by the start of next year. Several factories and workshops are built or retooled for this purpose. The successful completion of factories by Studebaker, Ford, and International Harvester, along with the significant influence of armored vehicles in various Soviet campaigns, convinces the government to explore expanding and modernizing the army's armored forces. American-trained engineers begin to examine the tanks that the armed forces already possess and how to produce a modern domestic equivalent. By the end of the year, the general staff is given designs for the T35 Deli, a light tank similar to the Panzer 38(t) in development in Czechoslovakia. A factory on the outskirts of Ankara is refurbished to begin production of the tank at the start of next year. The air force purchases an advance order of nearly seventy Fairey Swordfish torpedo bombers, which will be delivered over the course of the next two years. In light of the growing influence of extremist ideologies, both the National Party and the underground Communist Party experience some growth, although Atatürk's popularity ensures that such influences remain small for now.
- The Hellenic Republic: Prime Minister Georgios Kondylis continues the heavy investment in the Greek economy from previous years. Many of these efforts are dedicated to educational and industrial infrastructure. Hundreds of schools and miles of roads are built. This includes a system of major roads to connect the large Greek ports to the less developed interior and other cities. Due to large popular support for Kondylis, the opposition undertakes drastic measures. Prime Minister Kondylis declares an extension to the national emergency and dissolves the parliament. Supports in his party begin forming National Patriotic Defense Divisions yo counter socialist and unpatriotic threats. Nationalist sentiments run high as does support for Kondylis.
- Republic of China: By 1935, the government's response to the depression has allowed the economic situation to stabilize. Industrialization continues with the Kuomintang continuing to take measures encouraging further foreign investment into the growing Chinese industry. Internal reforms in the administration, which are still being continued in many ways in a quieter and more gradual fashion, have been complete in the higher levels of local bureaucracies and within the central government in Beijing, with efficiency in the government seeing improvement since the beginning of these in 1929–1930. The duo of Wang Jingwei and Chiang Kai-shek has proven to be popular among the people, who are seen as restoring order to the country and defending it from corruption. The Chinese press is continuing to grow throughout the 1930s, so now the foreign newspapers mainly in English are not the only source of information, and the masses have a greater access to what is going on in society. A similar process to the governmental reform is going to be implemented in the armed forces as well in order to purge any former warlord or regional loyalties among the troops. A more cohesive army with a strong Chinese national loyalty has to be created. Similarly to the example of the administration, the military will seek to replace older officers and those that held prominent posts under the warlords, or whose loyalty is otherwise suspect, with younger ones that are talented and had undergone training more recently from Japanese or other advisors. This will begin in 1936 as Chiang Kai-shek and his generals work within the Central Military Commission to prepare to initiate this. In addition, the Central Military Commission will standardize a lot of the National Revolutionary Army's equipment beginning that year in an effort to streamline and better organize logistics. Older small arms and machine guns will be phased out and replaced, with German (Gewehr 88) and Japanese (Type 30 Arisaka) models being chosen as the primary rifles for the army. These are also beginning to be produced in Chinese factories, so it makes the supply situation easier. The rest will be first placed in storage as reserve weapons to arm mobilized conscripts in times of war, and will eventually be completely phased out. For now, artillery will not be as streamlined because it is not as easily replaceable as rifles and are fewer in number. However, the long term goal will eventually be the same for all of the army's equipment. A standard uniform is officially adopted, and is eventually to be spread to all troops. China asks to buy leftover WWI M1918 Stahlhelms from Germany [MOD response since he is not responding]. The military's general staff also studies the results of the Soviet war.
- French Commune: With the help of the Soviet Red Guards Division, the southern communists come out of hiding to assemble at the Italian border. Pushing inwards, they reach Marseilles in a week, spearheaded by the Soviet Armored Division. Cut off from supplies, all rebel offensives crumble, and victorious Commune forces occupy the remainder of France proper. 200,000 men are rushed to Normandy and begin to dig in heavily.
- Soviet Union: With victory in Finland Bukharin appoints a member of the exiled Finnish reds to take power in Finland rather than outright annex the territory opting to create a Buffer between the now "Three Brothers" and the Soviet Union. Repurposing the Mannerheim Line the Soviets and Finns begins shifting much of its equipment and begins to rebuild the line from the Arctic North some miles from Murmansk all the way down to the sea running the length of the Scandinavian border With Finland and the Soviet Union. The Soviet military and strategic circles begin developing the "Bukharin Line" a series of Fortified military districts designed to funnel potential invaders into certain channels but it also remains a rather powerful and dynamic line which is to stretch across much of the Soviet Western Border. With the Soviets claiming outright victory the previous year Bukharin remains positive in the possibility of a greater war seeing the rise of Fascists in both Germany and Spain, and with Poland also standing as a nationalist proto-fascist state, He keeps the Soviet Union Partially Mobilized and continues to heavily stockpile arms and supplies. The Development of the Soviet Unions first Medium Tank is also lauded as a move up in Soviet technical design as the A-20 tank rolls off assembly lines, constructed to the highest quality by Tank plants located near the Urals. The Tank is seen as a logical step forward but also a testbed for a newer tank in the Future. It is a mix of good firepower and mobility and this year after tests during wargames in the Ukraine is proves its mettle and upwards of 400 are built, enough to create an armored division. Half-tracks and newer trucks are also more integrated into the Soviet armed forces and it is boasted that now the Red Army is fully motorized and becoming even more mechanized. The Designs on aircraft are also refined as new variants of the modern models are developed to address certain issues and shortcomings and overall improve performance. The Soviet Economy does see some slowdown as the buildup for war noticeably eats into the Soviet Budget but nonetheless the economy remains strong, powerful, and dynamic with a reliance on export resources and oil being sidelined as the Soviets industry in consumer goods begins to take root and become well known by many worldwide. The Soviet Development of the Far East continues to spiral exponentially as now subsidies have made many industries in these regions more noticeably competitive giving the Soviet Ministry of Economics concerned that these industries might bury western soviet industry into the ground. Going on a case by case basis, subsidies are removed on certain industrial projects and plants and the small companies allowed under the NEP to see if they can remain competitive. The Soviet Far East remains a vast land of settlement as this year as nearly another million people migrate east this year. The expansion of the Far Eastern Population is noticeable and with the influx of nearly six-to-seven million people over the last decade, the Soviets have seen their fruits of labor in the underdeveloped Far East come to fruition with cities like Novosibirsk, Irkutsk and Vladivostok expanding significantly to require extra federal aid to support expanding populations. The Soviet Naval expansion continues as well with its battleships and first carrier being roughly half done, and the launching of its seven cruisers (one being a battlecruiser) is noted. The expansion of the Sevestopol dockyards is authorized to build more ships with plans to accelerate naval construction.
- Peoples Republic of Brazil: With the failing of the coup d'etat in Bolivia, the brazilian secret service now looks for other methods to keep other major forces out of South America. The military expands farther with a development program for motorized and armored divisions which shall replace the cavalry until 1940, bicycle divisions are used temporarily instead. The Ministry of Economics and development introduces tractors to the collectivized farms and shows how to properly use them to work the fields more efficient. Prestes congratulates the French Commune over their victory in mainland France and asks to help in their efforts to "clean" the colonial holdings in south america from the so called Free French, especially French-Guiana (FRENCH COMMUNE RESPONSE, PLEASE). A small force of 1500 volunteers is gathered for this purpose.
- Republic of Peru: our economy manages to somewhat slowly creep out of the Great Depression, as US trade slowly but surely goes back to normal, and our new trade pacts with Oceania and Japan. We continue to extract our valuable resources. Social Democracy continues to grow in Peru, with new social programs helping out people in tough financial situations. The new president, Alfonso Maria, denounces totalitarianism, and all oppressive regimes of the world, and calls for their citizens to rise up against them. An Ultimatum is sent to Ecuador, demanding they recognize peru’s Claims to Tumbres and Jaén or face “consequences” (MOD RESPONSE NEEDED!).
- United Kingdom: With the French civil war winding down and more pressing issues in North Africa, we leave the Cotein Peninsula with units either returning to Britain or going on to North Africa. The 1st Armoured Division, 1st and 44th Infantry Divisions are deployed to the Mareth line and ordered to dig in further updating the heavy entrenchments. Using local civilian labour and British engineering battalions a second fallback line of heavy entrenchments is prepared at Wadi Akarit. A few squadrons of aircraft are sent to Zagrata, Tunisia. The 2nd, 3rd and 4th Divisions are deployed across French Algeria and Tunisia. The 2nd South African are brought in to garrison French Morocco. The HMS Rodney, Hood, Renown and ten destroyers are sent to Gabes. The Mediterranean fleet remains at its base in Malta. We begin to produce the new landing craft which have been designed seeing the need from operations in Cherbourg. The Starling tank, Bren carrier, trucks, field guns and the Hawker Thunder continue production along with the L1A1 which equips the 1st Infantry Division. The Gloster Reaver is still under research and expected to begin production next year while Supermarine begin their own research. With the completion of three new fleet aircraft carriers, the Navy decides to build another the HMS May along with a new class of battlecrusiers. Events in Northern Ireland are troubling and we move the 48th Infantry Division in to support local police forces. In Persia, we dispatch a Persian force comprising 3000 men to help support and train them.
- Dominion of Canada: In an unexpected turn of events, under the advice of Canada's Envoy to the United States, William Duncan Herridge, Prime Minister R.B. Bennett proposes, in a series of several radio speeches to the nation, a Canadian version of President Garner's New Road. However, Bennett's attempted reforms are seen as too little too late, facing criticism from both sides that he either went too, or did not go far enough. Some of his measures are seen as infringing upon provincial jurisdictions as laid in the British North America Act, leading to the courts striking down many of Bennett's reforms. Believing that Bennett still has not done enough to combat the Great Depression, former Minister of Trade and Commerce Henry Herbert Stevens decides to take up the offer of the three cabinet ministers, and challenges Bennett for leadership of the Conservative Party in the lead up to the election this year. Already having had the majority of the Conservative MPs pledge to back him, and now with even more joining in due to R.B. Bennett's sudden change of policy, Bennett decides to step down from leadership in favour of the overwhelming support for Stevens within the party caucus. Henry Herbert Stevens, now leader of the Conservative Party, campaigns for the upcoming election on a platform of drastic economic reform and government intervention in the economy, proposing a system of public works as well as a national housing program. Stevens also declares his own opposition to Canadian involvement in a European war, which garners him a modicum of support in Quebec. In October 14th, one of the closest elections in Canadian history occurs, with the end result being a narrow majority government for the Conservative Party, with Stevens' platform of economic reform and government intervention in order to stop the Great Depression apparently having found ears across the nation, in contrast to the Liberal Party's promises of only mild reform at most. Prime Minister Henry Herbert Stevens is sworn in by the Right Honourable Vere Ponsonby, 9th Earl of Bessborough, Governor General of Canada, later that month, although he is replaced as Governor General only weeks later by John Buchan, 1st Baron Tweedsmuir. Stevens immediately begins preparing his Party for the beginning of the 18th Parliament next year, where he plans to be the man who saves Canada from the depths of the Great Depression.
- German Reich: mining intensifies as demands within the public rises will growing wages as slums transform into development zones and areas of beautification. 600,000 men are conscripted within the year while in rememberable of Hitler, Hitler Youth is established for the young men of the nation to teach moral skills and to learn the fundamentals of Nazism and social skills in hopes of fueling a future generation of men able to serve their people. Designs for Panzer II are pushed through and plans for construction are planned to start as early as January of next year. Factories are spread out while the Luftwaffe sees further development of the air force. At this point, the hangover of the depression has gone away and unemployment is at 4%. The Autobahn is advances further and hires more workers. The Kreigsmarine is also established. Höss oversees plans to start government based car manufacturing. Letters are dispatched to the Empire of Japan, Yugoslavia, Romania, Hungary, Spain, and Hashemite Arabia to take part in the Munich Conferences in hopes of forming a faction that would united nation's with similar goals to help eachother out within their causes (player and mod response). Sofia Höss, Rudolf's second child is born. A paid to leave program and cooperation with Jewish communities are made for them as an incentive to level the Reich which sees much success. Those who stay see themselves placed in general locales within cities where the state would buy off their properties and allow them to move to well maintained sections of cities and towns to form local Jewish community neighborhoods. Although Jewish resentment in Germany is high, Höss convinces the masses to be respectful and that the Jewish influence over the German state had been removed and now the revitalization process may grow and expand. The Disabilities Act is passed which would not allow civilians born with a dangerous and transferrable disability to bare children although they are permitted to marry. Traditional Family Values are supported by the state further. In the meanwhile, Höss pushes the completion of the Autobahn's main roads. Railroads expand across Germany. In the meantime, the Reich Harvest Festival sees a large quantity of people take part within the cherished event and Christmas Fireworks happen in Berlin. Anti-Communist and specifically Fascists are funded privately in Austria in hopes of liberal Austria from Marxist grip
The French Civil War reaches a great turning point. With Britain pulling out of Normandy, and the full positioning of Soviet and Italian forces, the tide slowly turns against the Free French on the continent for the first time. Outside of France itself, Corsica holds out against the Italians and requires an algo.
Having gained a great deal of power through their continued advancement and experience, many leaders of the Red Army led by Mikhail Tukhachevsky attempt a coup to take over the government of the Soviet Union (for pure greed, not an ideology thing). Bukharin is assassinated and the Kremlin is taken over by the military elite.
A coup of engineers takes place to revolt against the Japanese government.
Ecuador capitulates to allow Peru to occupy border regions, but reaches out to the United States for help as part of the Monroe Doctrine.
The Olympics is hosted in Berlin this year.
Marie Curie synthecizes Radium in Turin, the first artificial production of an element in history.
The Thylacine tiger goes extinct.
The Austrian Brotherhood and Fatherland Front of Austria unite into the Front for National Salvation, and start an uprising in western Austria, with some small protests in Vienna, though those protests are quickly and brutally put down by the Austrian Police.
- Persia: Persia buys 100 trucks from uk and creates its first motorized Division.The shah passes the religious minority act,which will give religous minority more rights.Persia begins th econstruction of the first modern hospital the Tehren Hospital.Persian Diplomacy:persia wishes to partipiate in the Munich Confernece
- Reich Dip: they are accepted an allowed into the Conference.
- United States: The German-American Bund is formed by Fritz Kuhn as a pro-Nazi organization. Boulder Dam is completed. Jesse Owens is sent to the Olympics where he wins the 100 meter dash. The M1 Garand is officially adopted by the army as the standard issue rifle to replace the M1903 Springfield and M1917 Enfield rifles. The Garand is an eight-shot clip fed semi-auto rifle that will compete with the new semi-automatics fielded by Britain, the USSR and Japan. Meanwhile, the Army Air Force adopts the B-18 Bolo as the standard medium bomber as the first B-17 test models roll off the production line. The army starts to develop the "T2" Medium tank, the design of this tank so far is equipped with a standard 37mm cannon in a turret along with four sponson machine guns. The Army Air Force and Navy Air Force accept the Seversky P-35 as a stopgap fighter plane until Curtis is done with its new Hawk program. A guarantee of independence is sent to Ecuador assureing that if Peru makes a move to threaten their independence, the United States would back them militarally. To back up this the USS Saratoga is moved south along with the USS California and a small escort flotilla. The Marines are withdrawn from Nicaragua and dispersed to France’s carribean posestions and the islands of Saint Pierre and Miquelon. At the Democratic primaries, Huey Long wins many states in the south, however, loses the west coast and Texas to Garner. Long, however, makes up for his western loss by winning parts of New England, New York and the Industrial Heartland. Eventually at the Democratic Convention in Philadelphia Huey Long is nominated over incumbent John Garner. Long makes a fiery speech accepting his nomination. George Howard Earle III is nominated Democratic Vice President. Latter that year Huey Long is elected president of the United States despite many people's disapproval. His republican challenger Alf Landon did have a major victory when the state of New York was called for him. The San-Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge is opened to comuter traffic. The Flint Sit Down Strike begins.
- Sultanate of Misir and Sanna Dip: we request if we can buy 3,000 M1903 Springfield and M1917 Enfield
- Soviet Union: The death of Bukharin is felt across the nation and as the military seizes control of the state apparatus many fear the worst, the development of a Napoleon syndrome in the now self-appointed Premier of the Soviet Union. In an act of pure surprise for the surviving members of Bukharin's Politburo, such as Rhykov and Zinoviev, Tukhachevski turns on his co-conspirators. Acting as the Supreme commander of the coup, Tukhachevski is noted to be the main reason many of the soldiers have followed into the Coup Attempt. Tukhachevski summarily uses his unbridled power and with the loyalty of key members of the Red Army is able to reveal his true intentions. While technically a risky move, Tukhachevski was a self starting agent hoping to oust many members of so called radical leftists known as totalists, and the National Bolsheviks as well. Many believed that Bukharin was too lenient, not forceful enough and was selling out the communist utopia promised with Psuedo-Capitalist market reforms. Tukhachevski, seeing the growth in quality of life and the new powerful state of the Soviet Economy, however, was not swayed personally and used the Coup attempt to oust hundreds, if not thousands of dissenters who wanted to either aggressively expand communism under former Trotsky's world revolution policies or revert back into a extremely inefficient isolationist Soviet state with an ill-fated Centrally planned economy, or for the vast majority of the coup planners and actors, many simply wanted personal wealth and dictatorial control much like the old Russian Imperial Aristocracy hoping once again to exploit the people and the country's newly developed resources for their own gain. Tukhachevski - while thankful of the removal of Bukharin - is angered by his death seeing as Bukharin's policies are the major reason the Soviet Union is the power it is today and he wished instead to just remove him from office and replace him with Lev Kamenev an easily manipulated figure that would allow Tukhachevski to run the state from behind the scenes and pursue policies that he believed would benefit the State. He initiates a purge in which nearly all the Coup conspirators, a minority of Officers, a large number of Party members with military influence, and a large chunk of NCO's are put to death. This is done in Public as Tukhachevskis loyalists rally their own troops and arrest roughly 150,000 people nationwide including nearly 75,000 soldiers most of whom were part of the Moscow garrison forces. The conspirators are all executed and with the tacit blessing of the Politburo now packed with Tukhachevski's loyalists barring the remaining Rhykov and Zinoviev who remain for their sheer skill in running the current Soviet economy, he is brought in as a Premier of the Soviet Union and effectively the state's sole leader. He does, however, keep most of Bukharin's policies in place only changing one thing, the support given to outside communists. He immediately - with the opening of a route to the main body of the Communist French - begins shipping aid such as things needed to rebuild, arms and most importantly, technically capable manpower to being the reconstitution of the French nation as a Communist state. As Premier he also takes great care to let any potential dissenters know that a contingency exists for his death, and that he commands complete loyalty of the nation's core generals who lead the nations many armies. He calls together Georgy Zhukov, a recently appointed general and well-versed soldier of the nations many wars, Semyon Timoshenko, Konstantin Rokossovsky, Ivan Konev, Nikolai Vatutin, as well as the supreme commanders of the Soviet navy and air force, Kuznetsov and Novikov, ensuring their loyalty and creating the Soviet Close Martial Minitry, a set of commanders who share their experiences and opinions in an open room conversation on the goings on with current issues and war related matters. Interestingly enough, though, following these many government shuffles, very little changes within the Soviet Union except one thing - its external policy. This begins solely with the Soviets deploying the ships from the Black Sea fleet in naval maneuvers near Bulgaria and sending a massive arms package to Yugoslavia enough to outfit 250,000 soldiers in a modern combat context.
- Sultanate of Misr and Sanna: The creation of the nation house of Education is made with the goal of 1 united Egyptian school system this is tested out in the city of Cairo. The Egyptian economic is worked on as trade with Persia and British States continue. The Egyptian National Car and Motor Industry is broken into two new companies: The National Arms (military weaponry and cars) and The Car Company of Cairo (used to make cars). We begin to dig and look for oil mostly in the Sinai, creating the "National Oil Group." Government officials are sent to the Sudan region to help improve areas while giving the idea of an Egyptian and Sudanese friendship, called Hezbism. The "National Military Headquarters" is made with plans of training military officers and other high tier leaders, opening this year with the topic "The Yemeni War". The national police are called to prevent any physical fights between mobs or groups in the streets of Egypt. Brotherhoodism gains steam in jails. A group called the Arab National Council (ANC) is formed by Nur al Misr, they call for Egyptian civil rights and Arab nationalism. Egyptian men begin to work on the Nile Railroad, starting all across the Nile with the plan of bumping into each other and completing the tracks. By the end of five years we plan to finish the whole Egyptian part of the railroad, and begin construction of the Sudan region. The formation of the United Yemeni Provinces/Sultanate is formed under the rule called the Council of Five. The council is formed of five popular leaders in the Yemen region. Urban Nationalists, especially Sunni Islamists, Shia Islamists and Pan Arab Nationalist begin to gain steam. King Farouk uses the division between the three sides to keep any form of united opposition (with a tad bit of Arabist bias). The Arab National Council sets up based in San'a under the control of Aziz Ali-al Misr, he begins the formation of "Arab Times". This gains the attention of many Arabists across the Yemeni and Egyptian Sultanate - especially the young Gamal Abdul Nasser, who visits from time-to-time to speak with Aziz Ali-al Misr. Attempts to modernize and improve the region are worked on with the work on the Taizz-San'a Roadway. The national arms begin contraction of factories in the Cairo region, copying British Military Equipment, mostly radios,motorbikes, and Arms ". We ask Britain if we can buy 3000 rifles, 12 tanks and eight modern warplanes.
- Peoples Republic of Brazil: Now with US forces at the front door of brazil, Prestes offers to help other south american nations who are concerned about the American influence over their nations as well. The government starts to arm and teach the peasentry how and when to use small rifles, to defend their homes and workplaces in the case of an invasion, yet Brazil doesnt want any war with the United States. Due to the socialist type of government, the great depression missed Brazil, which can continue to exploit the natural wealth and farmlands of the Amazon region withound many concerns. A new secret police is installed, the Agência de Proteção para assuntos civil. The APA will be there to crack down coups, civil unrest and spies, as well as keeping the government from being undermined by reactionary forces.