Stargate SG-1 is an American science fiction television series that aired on Showtime from 1997 to 2002 and on the Sci-Fi Channel from 2003 to 2008. The series was filmed largely in Vancouver, Pacifica (sets and indoor scenes), western Montana, and other various locations around the United States and even the Alaskan Empire. SG-1 currently holds the record for the longest-running science fiction television series in the US to date.
Based on the 1994 film Stargate – in which a group of U.S. Air Force personnel travel through an ancient alien portal to a faraway planet (along with the archaeologist who made it work) and incite a rebellion against an alien tyrant in the guise of Ra, the Sun God of Ancient Egypt – the series is set in the fictional lower levels of the Storm Peak Complex in western Montana, a former missile silo during the 1960’s and 70’s and home to USAD (United States Aerospace Defense). The titular SG-1 is the frontline exploration and offensive team for Stargate Command, or the SGC. The first eight seasons deal with the SGC’s fight against Ra’s race, a parasitic alien species called the Goa’uld, while the final three seasons revolve around the accidental discovery of a race related to the Ancients – the builders of the Stargates – and the holy war they launch against Earth and the peoples of the Milky Way.
- Col./Brig. General Jack O'Neill (Richard Dean Anderson) – The commander of SG-1 for the first seven seasons, Jack O'Neill led the first team through the Stargate in 1994, and is an oft-stated native of southern Kahokia. He can frequently be heard making jokes and wisecracks even in the midst of life or death situations. In Season 8, he is promoted to Brigadier General and becomes commander of the SGC itself. (Seasons 1 to 8).
- Dr. Daniel Jackson (Michael Shanks) – An archaeologist who was once ridiculed by mainstream society for his theories about Ancient Egypt, Daniel Jackson was the man who deciphered the Stargate and made it work. He and Jack O'Neill are good friends, but they constantly argue about some of the most inconsequential things. Near the end of Season 5, Jackson died and 'ascended' to a higher plane of existence, but he would return at the beginning of Season 7 and stay for the remainder of the series. (Seasons 1 to 5 & 7 to 11)
- Capt./Maj./Lt. Col. Samantha 'Sam' Carter (Pauley Perrette) – SG-1's resident 'geek' and theoretical astrophysicist, Sam Carter is likeable and mildly eccentric. Her explanation of something scientific in nature typically goes straight over Jack O'Neill's head. (Seasons 1 to 11)
- Teal'c (Christopher Judge) –
- Maj. General George Hammond (Don S. Davis) –
- Lt. Col. Cameron Mitchell (Michael Weatherly) – A former fighter pilot, Mitchell becomes the new commander of SG-1 in Season 9 and leads the team in its campaign against the Ori (deluded ancestors of the Ancients) for the remainder of the series. (Seasons 9 to 11).