What happens if some UN members recognize Somaliland?
This Althistory is the answer of that question.
In 1991, Somaliland declares independence from Somalia, the USA (that is in Somalia in that year) recognizes the independence. Next to the USA 13 more states recognize Somaliland:
States that recognized Somaliland in 1991:
- United Kingdom
- South Africa
But Somalia doesn't recognize the independence and declares war on Somaliland (1993 - 1995)
Some countries help Somalia:
A war happened.
Somaliland War of Independence
Somalia declares war on Somaliland and the supporters of Somaliland land in Berbera. The supporters of Somalia give weapons and money to Somalia.
The war is very intense and many people die.
In the end, Somalia surrenders and recognizes Somaliland - same with the supporters of Somalia. (1995)
In 1996, UN accepts the entry of Somaliland into the organization and it's recognized by all the states and observers of the UN. (Vatican and Palestine).
The UN makes sanctions on Somalia and supporters until 1998.
States that recognized Somaliland in 1995
- The same states of 1991
- Monaco (1993)
- Germany (1993)
- Belgium (1993)
- Sweden (1993)
- Russia (1993)
- Ukraine (1994)
- Finland (1994)
- Yugoslavia (1994)
- Somalia (1995)
- Sudan (1995)
- Iran (1995)
- Eritrea (1995)
- Djibouti [Ethiopia] (1995)
- Congo (1995)
- Puntland (1995)
Treaties next to Somaliland War of Independence
- Treaty of Addis Ababa, Ethiopia annexes Djibouti and some parts of Eritrea
- Treaty of Tehran, Iran is demilitarized until 2002
- Treaty of Mogadishu, Somalia loses some lands to Somaliland and leaves to independence Puntland
- Treaty of Brazzaville, Congo is demilitarized until 2002
- Treaty of Khartoum, Sudan gives independence to Darfur and South Sudan and lose some lands to Egipt and Ethiopia.
- Treaty of Berbera, Puntland, Somaliland, Darfur and South Sudan joins UN like a full member and all states recognize Puntland, Somaliland, Darfur and South Sudan
States that don´t recognize Somaliland, Puntland, Darfur and South Sudan
- North Korea (until 2009)
- Vietnam (until 1999)
- Venezuela (until 2011)
- Trinidad and Tobago (until 1998)
- Cuba (until 1999)