Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
The Sino-British Agreement is an agreement made in Tianjing between the Taiping Heavenly Empire and the British Empire negotiated in early 1864. It was initiated when the British offered official recognition of Taiping on the following conditions:
- That Taiping cede the southwestern territories of China to British India,
- That Taiping agrees to formally release Korea from the Imperial tributary system,
- That Taiping renounces its rights to expansion.
Taiping China agreed to the second term but offered further negotiation on Terms 1 and 3, the British Empire agreed and now the Sino-British Agreement convenes.
Taiping shall cede the Yunnan province in exchange for unregulated, tariff-free trade between China and India.
Taiping shall surrender its right to territorial expansion for 5 years and instead focus on improving ourselves internally. To do this, we request that the British Empire help us by sending advisors, technology, and investing in our industry.
We request to trade with Hong Kong as well
- We agree to China's cession of the Yunnan province to India, though we believe that China is in no position to negotiate a sale of Yunnan, as our troops have already occupied and are de facto controlling Yunnan. Chinese merchants will be permitted limited access to Yunnan trading posts, and first priority will be awarded to British/Indian merchants entering China.
- We do, however, agree to tariff-free trade with Hong Kong.
- We thank China for temporarily halting expansion.
- We will establish the British China Company (BCC) to manage Sino-British trade and British affairs in China.
We agree to British Empire's terms
Frederick Archer, 1st Viscount Archer, Most Honourable Imperial Ambassador to the Kingdom of China, Representative of Her Majesty Victoria, by the Grace of God, of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, Realm of Australia, Realm of Canada, Realm of South Africa and Realm of Westralia Queen, Defender of the Faith, Empress of India — The Tim Man (TSW • AH • MGW • Contribs) 01:13, April 2, 2016 (UTC)