The Sicily or Sicilian Republic is a state created after the nuclear war on the bases of the Sicilian region.
Sicily was one of the most great regions of Italy, and the most populous. On the 28 of October 1962 the bombs fell on Italy, battering on Rome. The President of the region Giuseppe D'Angelo attempted to contact Rome or any authority outside of the Island, though when no one have responded, they realized they were alone. D'Angelo have called for a special reunion of the regional parliament, after have decide to increase the police forces and that of Carabinieri for previde order most of the parliamentaries decide of declare the Provisional Sicilian Republic, with capital at Palermo and agriculture was temporarily put in state control.
The winter of 1963 had no effect on the island, this thanks to it's position within the Mediterranean.
A New Republic
The 30 of October of 1963 the regional assembly of the Sicily (Now called the Sicilian Parliament) proclaimed the independence of the Sicily from the Italian government, and any institution made to follow it. The new government was named the Sicilian Republic. The National Constituent Assembly held conference to write a Sicilian Constitution, it have take half then a year to write that, inspirated from that of the Italian Republic. The flag and the coat of arms selected were the Sicilian Flag with the triskelion, an ancient and a traditional symbols for the Sicilians, who used it first during 1282, for the revolt against Charles I of Sicily.
Giuseppe D'Angelo was elected President of the Republic by the Sicilian Parliament, on the 1st of February of 1964.
The Sicilian Mafia was a new threat to the forming government, and this led to massive crackdown on clan chiefs. Since this, the mafia has been in decline, and some predict the organized mobs will be totally eradicated by 1965.
Diplomatic incident and expeditions.
In the summer of the 1975 a ship from the Italian Navy docked in the port of Palermo, saying that it was part of the Italian Republic. The ship was immediately seized and it's crew. After a interrogation of some hours return to their ship, the ship is returned to the crew, and the men released. In light of this Italian Republic, the Sicilian Government sent an ambassado for open a embassy in Turin.
The Republic have also a colony in Cyrenaica, the colony was created in the 1970 after the discover of a provisional republic lead by the Italian and Jews who before their expulsion was live in the Kingdom of Libya.
Over the years, Sicily has also started exploring the rest of the Mediterranean, and the republic has made contact with San Marino, Romagna, Republic of Venice, France, Yugoslavia, Spain, Libya, Algeria, Morocco, Israel, United Arab Republic, Monaco, Albania, Greece, Cyprus, Sardinia, and Crimea.
They have also started to annex the ex-region Calabria, the first city at be liberated by the Sicilian forces was Reggio Calabria and ironically it was also the capital of the Republic of the Calabria, ruled by Antonio Macrì.
In the 1966 they have send humanitarian and medical aid at the Tuscany, it also have send 100 Military for help city of Florence.
In 1965 the Calabria was unificated with the Sicily with a parliamentary law, after this the republic have fight the Ndrangheta, who is a allied of the Cosa Nostra, of the Sacra Corona Unita and of the Camorra.
After the battle of Cosenza the three family who have ruled the Ndrangheta have fleat in the Neapolitan Republic. The gangsters who remain in Calabria have served at least 40 years in jail or it was executed.
Formally and according at the Sicilian Constitution is organized as such :
- President of the Republic, elected by the Sicilian Parliament every five years, the first president of the Republic was Giuseppe D'Angelo.
- Prime Minister, nominated by the President. The Prime Minister and their government is responsible for the administration of the Sicily, the first prime minister was Benedetto Majorana della Nicchiara.
- The Prime Minister appointment his government.
- The President cannot hold office in any other branch of power, and the office's salary and privileges are established by law.
- The Sicilian Parliament is a unicameral system and is the legislative body of Sicily. It is composed of ninety deputies elected by direct universal suffrage every ten years.
- The Sicilian Parliament can proclaim and vote the laws, they must be countersigned by the President and Prime Minister.
- According to the Constitution, any citizen that is thirty on the day of the election, and enjoys civil and political rights, can be elected President.
- In addition to powers inherent in being a member of the cabinet, the prime minister holds specific powers, most notably being able to nominate a list of cabinet ministers to be appointed by the President of the Republic.
- Often the Prime Minister's activity consists more in mediating between the various parties in the majority coalition, rather than directing the activity of the Council of Ministers.
The political parties of the Sicilian Parliament are :
- Sicilian Communist Party, a party founded on the ash of the PCI in Sicily, is one of the most popular parties in the republic, but is also the third party for seats in the Parliament, with only 20 seats, is lead by Pancrazio De Pasquale, their ideology and their support is linked at the C.S.G.L., a communist sindacate and on various communist circle in small town and rural zone.
- Christian Democracy, like the party during the time of the old Italian Republic this party is the most popular party in the republic, for his right and moderate position, is the first party of the Parliament by seats with 40 seats, is lead by Segio Mattarella, brother of the president, the party take his support from the middle and upper class, many of his supporters are the same who are in the parliament and who financed him, mainly the people who financed the party are the industrial and manager directors, but also members of the Catholic Curch in the republic, first of all by the Bishop Pappalardo, Bishop of Palermo.
- Sicilian National Party, this new party was created in 1972, by the ex-member of the Movement for the Independence of Sicily, the party himself is focused on the Sicilian history, culture and on the Sicilian nationalist, thinking this is the gold era for Sicily why they aren't part of Italy anymore, they have many support in the main cities of the island and also in the small cities, but they don't have any support in Calabria, they are lead by Finocchiaro Aprile, who was the previous leader of the MIS. The SNP have gaterd 15 seats from the least elections, and they have many mayors or member of communal junta of their party, for now 3 cities; Catania, Agrigento and Enna have a SNP mayor.
- Giovine Italia, the Giovine Italia is a party created by the members and the leader of the MSI in Sicily, the goal of this party is the union of the Sicilian Republic with the Italian Republic, it celebrate not only the Sicilian history and cuture but also the Italian history and culture, is leaded by Ciccio Franco, a ex-dirigent of the MSI in Reggio Calabria, they are also the second most creat party in Calabria, with at least a margin of victory of the 40-50% in some zone and of the 90% in city like Reggio Calabria, from the 1965 to the 1982 reggio Calabria woud have 5 mayor of the Giovine Italia, the last mayor at win the election is a democristian.
The Sicilian Republic is divided into regions, provinces and communes. The Regions are led by a President, elected by the citizens of the Region. The Provinces are in the charge of a Prefect, named by the President, who is in charge of all aspects of the state administration and public order. The chief magistrate of a commune is a mayor, elected by the citizens of a city or in special case by a prefect. He was assisted by a Municipal Consul, composed of five councilors named by the Mayor. The Republic have also a colony in Cyrenaica, the colony was created in the 1970 after the discover of a provisional republic lead by the Italian and Jews who before their expulsion was live in the Kingdom of Libya and after the give assistance at the provisional government they have accept of become a colony.
The Regions are :
- Sicilia (Palermo)
- Calabria (Reggio Calabria)
The Colony are :
- Cirenaica (Bengasi)
The Sicilian Republic has a mixed economy system. Though traditionally the Sicilian economy has been dominated by agriculture and tourism. Sicily from the 60s and the 70s was facing a economic boom with a . Education, banking service, security service, telecommunication, transport, health care, social security and access to cultural resources are under the control of the state.
The Sicilian economy is based heavily on agriculture, tourism, small and medium companies, naval industry, energy, light manufacture, mineral extraction, viticulture, fishing and shipping.
The Sicilian Republic is also one of the few nations in Europe who have a unlimited supply of oil, the 95% of the oil wells is under the control of the public body ANGP (Agenzia Nazionale del Gas e Petrolio), the rest 5% is hold by French, American and English private oil company.
Health care is free and accessible for all the citizens of the republic, funded by the state through general taxation and direct revenues collected by local health, through prescription charges and other chargeable services.
Most major cities have a hospital or a general hospital. The smaller cities or the villages have a Health Office
Schooling is required by law, and free, compulsory education is obligatory until the 16 years of age. The Sicilian school system is divided into three stages of education :
- Primary education, which includes the kindergarten for three years and primary school, five-year.
- Secondary education, which includes the secondary school level (Middle school) for three years, and the secondary school of second degree (High school) of five-year duration.
- Higher education, including the universities, the higher education in art, music and dance and vocational training.
The best universites are located in Palermo, Messina and Catania, there is also the statal unversity of Reggio Calabria, with a brench in Cosenza, in Benghazi the university was open in the 1975 and it was also open a branch of the University Ruggero II in Tobruck.
In the republic, the official news agency is the Agenzia Stampa Siciliana Associata (ASSA). The most read newspapers are the Corriere del Meridione, the Repubblica Sicula, the Sole 24 ORE, the Messaggero, the Gazzetta dello Sport, Tuttosport and the Secolo XIX. There are no restrictions upon the press based on religion or other factors.
The Radio Televisione Siciliana (RAS) is the property of the state. There are only a few private radio stations, though television and radio are fairly common and popular.
The Sicilian Armed Forces (Forze Armate Siciliane) an armed force made up of conscripts. All male citizens of 18 years need to serve in the Armed Forces for 18 months.
The Sicilian Armed Forces are equipped with the Beretta BM-59 as service rifle, with the Beretta M34 and Beretta M35 as sidegun, they have also use the MG 42/59 as squad weapons.
Armed Forces :
- Sicilian Army (Esercito Siciliano) : 50,000 Military
- Sicilian Military Navy (Marina Militare Siciliana) : 10,000 Military
- Sicilian Military Air Force (Aeronautica Militare Siciliana) : 10,000 Military
- Sicilian Gendarmerie (Gendarmeria Siciliana) : 20,000 Gendarmi
Internal Security :
- Sicilian Gendarmerie (Gendarmeria Siciliana) : 20,000 Gendarmi
- Sicilian Police (Polizia Siciliana) : 15,000 Policemen