The Sicily or Sicilian Republic is a survivor state located in the ex-region of Sicily.
Sicily was one of the most great regions of Italy, and the most populous. On the 28 of October 1962 the bombs fell on Italy, battering on Rome. The President of the region Giuseppe D'Angelo attempted to contact Rome or any authority outside of the Island, though when no one have responded, they realized they were alone. D'Angelo have called for a special reunion of the regional parliament, after have decide to increase the police forces and that of Carabinieri for previde order most of the parliamentaries decide of declare the Provisional Sicilian Republic, with capital at Palermo and agriculture was temporarily put in state control.
The harsh winter of 1963 had little effect on the island, this thanks to it's position within the Mediterranean.
A New Republic
The 30 of October of 1963 the regional assembly of the Sicily (Now called the Sicilian Parliament) proclaimed the independence of the Sicily from the Italian government, and any institution made to follow it. The new government was named the Sicilian Republic. The National Constituent Assembly held conference to write a Sicilian Constitution, it have take half then a year to write that, inspirated from that of the Italian Republic. The flag and the coat of arms selected were the Sicilian Flag with the triskelion, an ancient and a traditional symbols for the Sicilians, who used it first during 1282, for the revolt against Charles I of Sicily.
Giuseppe D'Angelo was elected President of the Republic by the Sicilian Parliament, on the 1st of February of 1964.
Many Spanish, French, and other refugees flooded to the island, and were met with the best accommodations as possible.
The Sicilian Mafia was a new threat to the forming government, and this led to massive crackdown on clan chiefs. Since this, the mafia has been in decline, and some predict the organized mobs will be totally eradicated by 1965.
Diplomatic incident and expeditions.
In the summer of the 1975 a ship from the Italian Navy docked in the port of Palermo, saying that it was part of the Italian Republic. The ship was immediately seized and it's crew. After a interrogation of a day, the ship is returned to the crew, and the men released. In light of this Italian Republic, the Sicilian Government sent an ambassador and a squad of 10 Sicilian Soldiers to open a embassy in Turin.
They have also started to annex the ex-region Calabria, the first city at be liberated by the Sicilian forces was Reggio Calabria and ironically it was also the capital of the Republic of the Calabria, ruled by Antonio Macrì.
In 1985 the Calabria was unificated with the Sicily with a parliamentary law, after this the republic have fight the Ndrangheta, who is a allied of the Cosa Nostra, of the Sacra Corona Unita and of the Camorra.
After the battle of Cosenza the three family who have ruled the Ndrangheta have fleat in the Neapolitan Republic. The gangsters who remain in Calabria have served at least 40 years in jail or it was executed.
In the 1966 they have send humanitarian and medical aid at the Tuscany, it also have send 1000 Military for help city of Florence.
Formally and according at the Sicilian Constitution is organized as such :
- President of the Republic, elected by the Sicilian Parliament every five years, the first president of the Republic is Giuseppe D'Angelo.
- Prime Minister, nominated by the President. The Prime Minister and their government is responsible for the administration of the Sicily, the first prime minister is Benedetto Majorana della Nicchiara.
- The Prime Minister appointment his government.
- The President cannot hold office in any other branch of power, and the office's salary and privileges are established by law.
- The Sicilian Parliament is a unicameral system and is the legislative body of Sicily. It is composed of ninety deputies elected by direct universal suffrage every ten years.
- The Sicilian Parliament can proclaim and vote the laws, they must be countersigned by the President and Prime Minister.
- According to the Constitution, any citizen that is thirty on the day of the election, and enjoys civil and political rights, can be elected President.
- In addition to powers inherent in being a member of the cabinet, the prime minister holds specific powers, most notably being able to nominate a list of cabinet ministers to be appointed by the President of the Republic.
- Often the Prime Minister's activity consists more in mediating between the various parties in the majority coalition, rather than directing the activity of the Council of Ministers.
Political PartiesThe political parties of the Sicilian Parliamentare :
- Sicilian Communist Party (Partito Comunista Siciliano) a anti-fascist party and a leftist party : 20/90
- Sicilian Democratic Party (Partito Democratico Siciliano) a liberal and a rightist party : 35/90
- Sicilian Nationalist Party (Partito Nazionalista Siciliano) a nationalist and a far-rightist party : 35/90
The Sicilian Republic is divided into regions, provinces and communes. The Regions are led by a President, elected by the citizens of the Region. The Provinces are in the charge of a Prefect, named by the President, who is in charge of all aspects of the state administration and public order. The chief magistrate of a commune is a mayor, elected by the citizens of a city or in special case by a prefect. He was assisted by a Municipal Consul, composed of five councilors named by the Mayor. The Republic have also a colony in Cyrenaica, the colony was created in the 1970 after the discover of a provisional republic lead by the Italian and Jews who before their expulsion was live in the Kingdom of Libya and after from the Libyan Arab Republic, after the assistance give at the provisional government they have accept of become a colony, this why they was have fear of Gheddafi's revenge on Cyrenaica, in the colony all the habitants have the citizens and they can travel without restriction in all the territory of the republic, have a healtcare and a educational system, married a Sicilian woman, be equal and with the same rights and duty as their metroplitan counterparts, and for the woman they are free of don't wear the hijab or any other islamic headgear, of divorce from their married and of have a dignitous life.
The Regions are :
- Sicilia (Palermo)
- Calabria (Reggio Calabria)
The Sicilian Republic has a mixed economy system. Though traditionally the Sicilian economy has been dominated by agriculture and tourism. Sicily suffered little damage from the war, and has a surplus of labor at the moment. Education, banking service, security service, telecommunication, transport, health care, social security and access to cultural resources are under the control of the state.
The Sicilian economy is based heavily on agriculture, naval industry, wind energy, light manufacture, mineral extraction, viticulture, fishing and shipping. There is also a small tourism Industry.
The Sicily is self-sufficient for the energy, they take the energy from the wind power station of the Island.
Health care is free and accessible for all the citizens of the republic, funded by the state through general taxation and direct revenues collected by local health, through prescription charges and other chargeable services.
Most major cities have a hospital or a general hospital. The smaller cities or the villages have a Local Health Office (L.H.O.) (Italian: Uffici Sanitari Locali (U.S.L.))
Schooling is required by law, and free, compulsory education is obligatory until the 16 years of age. The Sicilian school system is divided into three stages of education :
- Primary education, which includes the kindergarten for three years and primary school, five-year.
- Secondary education, which includes the secondary school level (Middle school) for three years, and the secondary school of second degree (High school) of five-year duration.
- Higher education, including the universities, the higher education in art, music and dance and vocational training.
The city of Palermo, Enna, Catania, Messina, Trapani, Caltanissetta, Ragusa, Siracusa, Catanzaro, Reggio Calabria, Cosenza, Vibo Valtina, Crotone and Agrigento have some universities. Palermo has an officially sanctioned military academy, and a officially sanctioned naval academy.
In the republic, the official news agency is the Agenzia Stampa Siciliana Associata (ASSA). The most read newspapers are the Corriere della Sera, the Repubblica, the Sole 24 ORE, the Messaggero, the Gazzetta dello Sport, Tuttosport and the Secolo XIX. There are no restrictions upon the press based on religion or other factors.
The Radio Televisione Siciliana (RAS) is the property of the state. There are only a few private radio stations, though television and radio are fairly common and popular.
The Sicilian Armed Forces (Forze Armate Siciliane) an armed force made up of conscripts. All male citizens of 18 years need to serve in the Armed Forces for 18 months.
WeaponsThe Sicilian Armed Forces are equipped with M1 Garand, M1 Carabine, Carcano M91, MAB-38 and Beretta BM-59 as main rifles, with the Beretta M34 and Beretta M35 as sidegun, they have also use the MG 42/59 and the Breda M35 as squad weapons.
Armed Forces :
- Sicilian Army (Esercito Siciliano) : 50,000 Military
- Sicilian Military Navy (Marina Militare Siciliana) : 10,000 Military
- Sicilian Military Air Force (Aeronautica Militare Siciliana) : 10,000 Military
- Sicilian Gendarmerie (Gendarmeria Siciliana) : 20,000 Gendarmi
Internal Security :
- Sicilian Army of the Carabinieri (Arma dei Carabinieri Siciliani) : 20,000 Carabinieri
- Sicilian Police (Polizia Siciliana) : 15,000 Policemen