The Plan Aurora timeline follows the events which could happened if Leonid Brezhnev had never come to power after Nikita Khrushchev. Plan Aurora is a plot by the Soviets, which overseas the defeat of the Conservatives in the 1988 elections by the Labour Party. This results in the hard left faction storming to control of the UK.. The USSR never dissolves and instead World War Three takes place.
British traitor spy Kim Philby, who was by then a Soviet citizen, had become close to Gromyko and was also affiliated with Gorbachev. In 1987, Philby becomes the mastermind of Plan Aurora. The plan was diabolical as it involved the use of a nuclear device. Due to the Labour Party's stance of nuclear disarmament, the plan called to swing the support of the British voters to vote for the Labour Party. Once they had gained the majority in the House, before the Party leader could be summoned by the Queen, the Hard Left faction would then take over and the Queen would have to appoint the new Hard Left leader as Prime Minister. In order to persuade people that nuclear proliferation was needed, an active measure would have to be taken. A nuclear bomb would be smuggled in disassembled form in to Britain, where it would then be assembled and detonated outside a USAF base where F-5 aircraft which carry tactical nuclear warheads were based. The explosion would then be seen as the fault of the US, which would then result in a backlash against the US as well as against nuclear devices.
The plan was executed perfectly, and the results were astounding.
In 1964, upon Khrushchev's ousting, Leonid Brezhnev became General Secretary. In this timeline, in Brezhnev's place, Andrei Gromyko becomes Soviet leader. He takes a liking to and later appoints Mikhail Gorbachev as vice-President, who then proceeds to spearhead several economic reforms, just as in OTL, but due to their being no glasnost (and thus no backfire when the new freedom gives rise to secessionist movement), his reforms are successful.
There is no Brezhnev stagnation and the Soviet economy continues to grow at a steady rate. Gromyko is impressed by the young Mikhail Gorbachev and following the new Soviet constitution of 1972, appoints him as vice-President. Gromyko approves of Gorbachev's economic reforms and successfully launches and carries out perestroika although he is staunchly against glasnost. During Gromyko's rule tensions between the US and the USSR eventually cool down, right up to the detente period of the mid and late 1970's. The Soviet military is transformed into a professional fighting force of volunteers, supplemented by a massive army of conscripts. Upon Mao's death, Deng Xiapeng becomes the Chinese leader and immediately resumes the alliance with the USSR, denouncing Mao as having turned traitor to the communist way. Although the Iranian Revolution takes place, as well as the Iran-Iraq War, the war ends in 1982 with a ceasefire. Saddam continues to build up his military. Following the 1986 US bombing of Libya, Gaddafi forms the Middle Eastern Coalition, a NATO style organisation consisting of Libya, Egypt, Jordan, Algeria, Lebanon, Palestine and Syria. The MEC aligns itself with the Soviets. In 1982, following the Falklands War, Argentina, Uruguay and Paraguay become communist. In 1983, Gromyko dies in office. He is replaced as Soviet President by Gennady Yanayev, with Gorbachev still being vice-President. The Premier of the RSSR is Boris Yeltsin. The Afghan War only begins in May 1980, following the deaths of over 40 troopers in an ambush, although Soviet troops were present in Afghanistan since March 1979. The Soviets don't hold back the invasion and the Mujahidden are eventually beaten.
And then, PLAN AURORA is hatched.
- The new British Government launches the MBR (the Manifesto for the British Revolution) in disguised form.
- The Anglo-American rift occurs because of the new Hard Left (communist) government. Despite several protests from harliners the US government obliges and begins to withdraw from the UK.
- In Austria, the support of the public begins to lean to the left. Inspired by this the Hard Left extremists begin to attack pro-western political figures.
- The Nationalist movement in China, supported by the US, begin to conduct terrorist attacks against the Communist government.
- Mikhail Gorbachev again lobby's for Glasnost but fails again, although more successful this time.
- The official merger of the Soviet Air Force and the Air Defense Forces takes place. This is the last of General Nikolayev's reforms. This means that now, all active Soviet personnel are volunteers and are fully trained professionals.
- The entire British nuclear arsenal is dismantled. All British forces outside the UK are recalled. Britain officilly leaves NATO.
- An IRA style insurgency begins in the UK against the communist government.
- In West Germany, the government comes under heavy pressure to follow the British example and sue for peace. This is because, in the event of a Soviet attack, West Germany would become the first to fall, if it was seen as an enemy.
- In Austria, the Communists come to power. Austria ends its neutrality, and aligns itself with the USSR.
- The immense success of Perestroika, results in all the eastern bloc countries following the Soviet example. The anti-communist movements in the East fail due to loss of popular support.
- Yugoslavia and Albaina are inducted to the Moscow Pact Union.
- In China, another faction emerges from within the Communist Party itself. Following Deng Xiapeng examples, many communists embrace the Soviet way of Communism and denounce Mao. Maoists had always been unpopular and the immense failure of Mao in transforming China into a nation as powerful as the Soviets, ultimately doom them.
- Mongolia is accepted into the USSR, becoming the 16th republic.
- The Afghan government seeks entry into the USSR. Talks begin between the Afghans and the Soviets. The remnants of the Mujahidden launch several abortive attacks in response. Fears of a crushing Soviet crackdown escalate.
- The second Iranian Revolution takes place. Although retaining the strict Islamic fundamentalism, the power and influence of the Ayatollah is removed, resulting in a Islamic democracy. The new government aligns itself with the Soviets, although claiming neutrality.
- The first democratic elections are held in the USSR for the local Soviets (local and city councils). All MPU countries hasten to follow.
- Austria enters the MPU.
- The US begin to give support to the anti-communist forces in the UK.
- Tensions rise between Iran and Turkey regarding their border as well as the Kurds.
- The USSR hosts and wins the World Cup.
- The Gulf War begins. The much stronger Iraqi forces inflict terrifying casualties on the US-led coalition, although they are losing. Osama Bin-Laden, furious at the Saudi monarchy for accepting US help, launches a huge insurgency movement across the entire Middle East save for the MEC countries.
- Massive ant-US protests spring up in the Middle East. Eventually, these protests would escalate and topple their governments, setting up Islamic states. In Saudi Arabia, the protesters succeed in establishing a constitutional monarchy. Apart from Iraq and Kuwait (which were under US occupation) and Iran, all Middle East countries join the MEC.
- Soviet offers to assist in putting down the anti-communist insurgency in Britain are turned down. The US, encouraged by this, step up their support.
- The Third World War begins in Europe. On 28th August US fighters from Greece are shot down by Soviet forces over Albania. A UN commission finds the US guilty. Tensions reach an all-time high. More such incidents are barely avoided as a result. In the midst of all this, the British government accepts Soviet help, and Soviet forces are deployed to the UK. On the 30th of August, four Soviet transports are intercepted and shot down on international airspace, by NATO fighters based in Norway. The Soviets launch a massive retaliatory air attack at all NATO bases in Norway. The next day war is declared.
- WW-III comes to an end with the signing of the Reykjavik Treaty. The whole of Europe is under the control of the Soviets. North and South America are under complete US control. Although a nominal draw it is, in fact, a Soviet victory as they now have the whole of Europe as well as China and Japan. Only Africa remains out of any direct control of either the Soviets or the Americans, despite North Africa being predominantly Soviet, while the South is more American.
- The USSR is expanded to the entire European continent. All European states become Soviet Republics.
- The whole world begins to rebuild itself after the war, which had claimed more than 2000 million lives.
Ayaa 07:50, April 21, 2011 (UTC)