Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Pax Columbia (Latin for "the Columbian Peace", modelled after Pax Romana) is the period of relative peace in Europe and the world (1945–Present) during which the Federated States have come to be the dominant military and economic power. Scholars believe Pax Columbia may have ended after the war with Zaire (2011), which also coinsides with the an emerging Pax Indianica or a greater Pax Earthica
RNN will bring you all the latest news from Romana and beyond.
September 3, 2012: Romana - Amidst European debt crisis, Angela Merkel makes surprise call to drop the Roman Mark and join the Euro. The speech is now called the 'The Dream of Europe speech' despite that phrase not having been used. In the speech she calls European integration, "above all a matter of heart." The action is certainly bold but has drawn sharp criticism from hard-line conservatives and Social Democrats.
March 22, 2012: India - New legislation is passed which requires parliament to be one-third female and opens up the ruling council to be any religion or gender.
March 3, 2012: Russia - Communist Party leader Vladimir Putin wins his fifth term as Russian Premier.
World Map (Pax Columbia) as of March 2012.
Point of Divergence and Basis of World
In 1508, historically stifled by its neighbors, the Venetian Duchy catches a lucky break with the failed League of Cambrai; this is the first of many points of divergence that dramatically changes the whole history of the world.
When you actually look at the political map of Europe at this time (1500s), the potential for historical divergence is ripe. Small changes in the ever-changing alliances of the Holy Roman Empire would greatly effect the evolution of national borders and the footprint of culture.
Editorial: One of the common mistakes of AltHist's is to increase the power base of a nation with no realistic backlash or counter-divergence. This Alt strives to balance historical movements yet dramatically change the outcome for many events.
I invite any changes from the community. Please have a full familiarity with this Pax America front page, as this alt is very intricate and has an elaborate interwoven system of events that may be very different from real history. But please, I do encourage you to add to that 'elaborate interwoven system of events'.
OTL vs. ATLThe alternative conclusion to the League of Cambrai strengthened North Italy and weakened the Pope politically. This seemingly small outcome seems to be the first of a massive butterfly effect on world events. This Alt history seeks to create a realistic balance of positive and negative world events, while exploring a dramatic divergence of new stories and outcomes.
- Spain, Italy, Burgundy, Poland and the Holy Roman Empire (which later becomes Romana) grow more powerful at the expense of French, English and the Russian Empires.
- Due to the weakened English Empire, colonizations in North America collapsed to a 'foolish fatherland' scenario caused by intractable differences between Federalists and Centrists.
- Russia, influenced by the Russian East China Trading Company, has less interest in European affairs. As a result, territorial neighbors in Scandinavia are strengthened, and the Polish-Lithuania commonwealth becomes a powerful regional power in Eastern Europe.
- Domineering European competition and colonizations over the new world, Africa, and Asia favor the Italians, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Greek. Weakened by wars and historical events, England and France waver in their historical colonial holdings.
- China has a smaller land footprint and rejects socialism due to consistent Russian intervention (up until Communism).
- Napoleon I is born an Italian citizen because Corsica was not sold to France.
- Korea is the dominant imperial power in the Far East. Japan, instead of Korea, is split into two regions after World War II. North Japan is one of the few remaining Communist nations. Korea is united.
- Strength of the Spanish Empire causes a consolidated effort in the Granada for Independence. The Federated States of Columbia (FSC) aka Columbia is historically the most powerful nation in both Americas.
- Brazilian Slave trade prompts a civil war in Columbia in the mid 1830s. A Civil War occurs in the United States in North America. The Confederate States of America successfully splits in their civil war adding to the fractionating of North American nations.
- After World War II, a Jewish state (Crimea) was established in the historical Jewish State along the north black sea. Crimea is still under political and regional pressures from hostile Muslim countries including Abkhazia, Iran, Afghanistan, and Iraq.
- Hitler is born a Roman and establishes the Roman Third Reich during World War II.
- Poland becomes the center of the Communist revolution and influence. Warsaw is the capital of the USSR. Democratic countries like Italy, Spain and the FSC fight a cold war with the Soviets. The brutal history of Italian colonizations in African territories cause many African nations to embrace Communism, supported by the USSR, the center of which is Ethiosomalia.
- Russia is still Communist, but has been economically open and capitalist since the 1980's. China is democratic. Mao Zedong took refuge in Nepal, which becomes a Communist oligarchy.
- The Indian Empire, with a weak China, and an early independence movement from Britain, takes over Tibet.
- In 2009, with the fall of Communism in the mid-1980s, the FSC is now the world's only hegemony. A disastrous elective war in Zaire and Ethiosomalia and the rise of other nations, such as India, China, Russia, California and the European Union. Pax Columbia provides a stabilizing influence across the world.
- See also: List of Wars (Pax Columbia)
View full Timeline, these are only highlights:
- 1508: Failed League of Cambrai. Venice under Leonardo unites Northern Italy.
- 1532: The Papal Crusades. Papal States fall to Ottomans who destroy the Vatican.
- November 5, 1605 The Gunpowder Plot is successful in England, killing King James I.
- 1611: The Queen Elizabeth Bible is first printed.
- 1629: Through Royal Marriage the Brandenburg’s begin control of Poland and their vassal Lithuania.
- 1690: Teacup War. The Russian East China Company successfully provokes the first Sino-Russian war.
- 1701: War of Spanish-French Succession creates a French-Spanish superpower after the Holy Roman Empire fails to enter the war, too busy in a war with the Ottoman Turks, who occupy Rome.
- 1718: War of the Two Crowns. Holy Roman Empire invades Sardinia, provoking a war with Spain. France does not participate.
- 1720: Holy Roman Empire and Bourbon Spain end war with Burgundy and Alsace succeeded to the Empire. Naples retains control of Sardinia. Venice gains control of Tuscany. Ottomans leave Italy.
- 1722: Treaty of Gloucester. Wales and England end war of Welsh Independence.welsh
- 1733: Kurdistan and Timurid independence from Russia.
- 1750: Treaty of Madrid. Spain and Portugal finally end their half century formal conflict.
- 1756: Seven Years War breaks up half-century Spanish-French super-alliance.
- 1758: France is now independent. Burgundy consolidates power, takes over Lorraine.
- 1761: Italian Unification. Congress of Vienna Unifies Republic of Venice with Kingdom of Sicily and Kingdom of Sardinia.
- 1768: Italy pays 40 million liras to France for the Alps region Côte d'Azur. Napoleon born as an Italian citizen.
- 1774: Foolish Fatherland begins in North American east coast.
- 1770: Revolutionary War. Also known as the Granada War of Independence.
- 1786: Treaty of Paris recognizes Columbian-American Independence.
- 1786: Federated States of Columbia (FSC). Constitutional Separation of Powers and Bill of Rights are written in Bogotá by the FSC continental congress.
- 1789-1799: Italian Revolution. Radical political changes collapses the Italian absolute monarchy.
- 1803: Ohio Republic established.
- 1803-1815: Napoleonic Wars. Beginning of Pax Espania.
- 1804: Coronation of Napoleon I as King of Italy and Holy Roman Emperor.
- 1805 Napoleon I named First Consul of France.
- 1809: Capital of FSC moved to Caracas.
- 1811: Largest extent of Napoleons I First Italian Empire.
- 1812: War of 1812. British support war of Maine Independence from United States.
- September 8, 1815: Napoleon defeated at Waterloo.
- December 29, 1815: Treaty of Rome. After the dramatic 200-days, Napoleon I is forced to abdicate again.
- 1818: Viceroyalty of Nevada breaks from Viceroyalty of New Spain.
- 1835: Toledo War. Michigan resists annexation from Ohio Republic.
- 1835: Granada Civil War. Simon Bolivar elected.
- 1836: Texas-Mexican Revolution, establishes Texas-Mexican Republic.
- 1840: Louisiana independence from France.
- 1840s: Manifest Destiny. Expansion of South American colonialists into savage Brazil.
- 1842: Near end of Granada Civil War Simon Bolivar is assassinated.
- 1845: Annexation of Central American states by FSA.
- 1846: Mexican-American war. FSC absorbs Mexican portion of Spanish Viceroyalties in Americas.
- 1848: Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo. New Philippines breaks from Texas Republic.
- 1855: Second Sino-Russian war. The Qing Dynasty creates a trade imbalance that favors China. The Russian East China trading company again provokes war over the lucrative opium trade.
- 1855: The FSA purchases Cuba from Spain.
- 1856: California declared independent.
- 1857: Sepoy Rebellion. The Mughal Empire successful independence from Britain.
- 1860: Third Sino-Russian war. Russians occupy Heilong.
- 1862: Confederate States of America (CSA) recognized by Italy and FSC.
- 1867: William H. Seward negotiates the purchase of Alaska from the Russians for Canada.
- 1867: Austro-Habsburg Compromise. Holy Roman Empire is declared the Austro-Roman Empire.
- 1880: Lemais Escabana of the FSC purchases Queensland from Italy.
- 1887: Oregon country War of Independence from Russia.
- 1888: Florida breaks from the CSA under Confederate Constitution.
- 1905: Nationalism referendum in Norway fails. It remains in the Denmark Union.
- 1907: Quebec breaks from Great Britain. Established as self-governing Republic.
- 1914-1918: World War I.
- 1915: SãoBonitaland changes name to SãoBonita. Majority of American films being produced in São Paulo, overtaking Bogota film production for first time.
- 1919: Height of Italian Colonial Dominion.
- 1921: Communist Revolution. Grand Duke of Poland Kniaz and his family are executed. Poland establishes first Communist regime.
- 1922: USSR. Established with Warsaw as capital.
- 1923: Angola independence from Portugal as a Communist state.
- 1924: Ethiosamalia united as a Communist republic.
- 1926: Communist Revolt in Juneau. Republic of Juneau forces independence from FSC as a Communist state.
- 1930: Chang Kai-Shek establishes the National Socialist Republic of China as their first President.
- 1938: Japan Invades China. Korea invades Russia.
- 1938-1944: English Civil War. Fascist Oswald Mosley prevails over Liberal-Democrat Lord Churchill.
- 1939-1945: World War II.
- 1945: Japan divided into Columbian occupied southern zone and Soviet controlled Northern zone. Roman Empire divided into Soviet controlled East Romana and Italian/American/Spanish controlled West Romana.
- 1946: Indian Empire. Fall of the Indian Raj follows assassination of Mahatma Gandhi.
- 1948: North Japan refuses to participate in United Nations supervised elections, which are held in South Japan. Each nation declares full sovereignty over all of Japan.
- 1949: Mao Zedong establishes exile Chinese Communist government in Nepal. Nepalese Royal family deposed.
- 1950: Indian Empire incorporates Tibet.
- 1951: Salzberg is now world only remaining Grand Duchy.
- 1957: European Union established. The Inner Six: Spain, Burgundy, Italy, Turkey, Greece, and Salzberg. The Outer Seven: Portugal, Switzerland, Denmark, West Romana, Sweden, Scotland, and Wales.
- 1961: Prague wall erected to separate western Prague and Soviet controlled Eastern Prague.
- 1964: FSC civil rights act. Outlaws major forms of discrimination against blacks, whites, women, and other minorities.
- 1973: A divided Romana celebrates 2000 years as the oldest living Empire in the world.
- 1974: Fascist government of England falls after death of Oswald Mosley.
- November 20, 1985: First release of the Wallsoft Ventana operating system with Wallsoft Ventana 1.0.
- 1987-1988: Fall of Communism. Prague wall is torn down. Soviet Union is dissolved. Eastern bloc countries relatively bloodless democratic revolution. Heilong and Karamay achieves independence.
- 1987-1990: Orange Revolution. Angola, Somalia, Uganda, Libya, Chad, and Burkina Faso have relatively bloodless democratic revolution.
- 1989: Fall of the Prague Wall. Romana consolidates.
- 1982: Confederate and Texan immigration debate prompts the building of a wall on the northern FSC border. Liberals claim this is just racism against whites.
- February 23, 1992: Harrison Ford Inaugurated as President of the United States.
- April 1, 1995: First release of the Dongyang Project
- September 11, 2001: Nuclear weapon smuggled out of Zaire is detonated in Bogotá.
- December 5, 2001: FSC invades Zaire. Deposes Joseph-Désiré Mobutu regime.
- 2003: FSC invasion. Start of Ethiosomalia War.
- January 20, 2009: Barack Obama Inaugurated as first Hawaiian President of California.
- 2011: EU debt crisis. Spain agrees to bailouts of German banks.
- 2011-2012: Arab Spring. Democratic reform in Syria, Libya, Egypt, Yemen, and Mali. Communism falls in Swaziland. Remaining Communist countries: Russia, Nepal, Vietnam, Laos, and Juneau.
Help contribute to Pax Columbia by visiting the Pax Columbia Portal.