Timeline: Wasteland Europe

OTL equivalent: Padania, Italian-occupied France, Tuscany, Marche
Flag of Padania PanadianCoA
Flag of Padania Coat of Arms of Padania
Padania in red. Note the Nizza area is not visible.

Libertá (Italian)

Anthem "Va Pinsiero Nabucco"
Capital (and largest city) Milano (Milan)
Other cities Pisa, Florence, Siena, Lucca, Romagna, Ravenna, Mantua, Ferrara, Venice, Trento, Tirol, Nizza, East Milan, Avignon
  others French, German
Religion Catholicism, Atheism (Freedom of religion granted)
Government Limited Monarchy
Population app. 20,000,000 
Established May 15, 1950
Independence from Italy and France
Currency Panadian Lyre (Lira di Panadia)
Internet TLD .pd

The Kingdom of Padania (Italian: Regno di Padania) is a nation formed from the ashes of the Italian Social Republic after World War II.



Padania had been a national wish for many people since the unification of northern Italy. Padania had been expanded by Italy during World War One, due to the fact that Italy annexed the Trentino-Tirol Surd regions. Padania became both the most industrialized and the most defended area on Italy.


Padania had been temporarily expanded with the Nice area during WW2. However, when the Allies landed on Italy on 1943 and the Kingdom of Italy surrendered, the Italian Social Republic had been made up by Mussolini on Northern Italy. When Mussolini was defeated and the Italian Social government resigned, it was occupied by Germany. No major civil bombings happened during the war, the same as with all of Italy (except a bombing of Rome which wasn't too important). However, due to several months of fighting, Padania had become desolate.


First Years

As soon as the American forces retreated, Italy collapsed. Padania declared independence from Italy on May 15, 1950 and was able to get the allegiance from all of the North Italian nations, plus Tuscany, the Istrian lands, Manche and the area east of the Rhone on France. The city of Lyon was parted between the French (and later Swiss) government and the Italian one. Monaco also united with Padania.

Italian Consolidation

Padania, after annexing the areas of Nice and Tuscany, causing Italy to expand to the Rhone river, decided not to expand anymore, and started consolidating the power of the leadership and it's commerce.

Due to many people asking for a monarchy instead of a republic, due to the fact that the North Italians only benefited of a republic if they controlled the poorer south, the Italian government placed the ex-king of Italy Umberto II, the "Re di Maggio (King of May)" of Italy (due to the fact that he ruled as King of Italy during May and the beginning of June), who had escaped from Rome during the proclamation of the "Lega Italiana" (Italian League ) and the incarcerating of the royalist forces that didn't escape north into Padania or south into Sicilia, as Umberto I of Padania. He was killed on May, 1952, and his son, Vittorio Emmanuele IV, ascended to the throne. Padania became increasingly strong and rich, becoming the leader of the Italian peninsula on the 1960's.

Intervention by the Soviet Union

Due to the increasing reconstruction prices, Padania had to ask many loans and enter into a great web of commerce with one of the richest nations in all of Europe: The Soviet Union.

Year by year, the Soviet's influence over Padania increased. On the 1970's, the Soviets finally intervened on Padania. The Soviet army and the Soviet politicians intimidated the weak king Vittorio Emmanuele IV to force him to change the monarchy to a socialist semi-constitutional one. They implanted a semi-democratic government, calling the Head of State "Chairman of the Padanian Socialist Presidium", and granting him almost the same power as Vittorio Emmanuele IV in the Parliament. On 1980, the Parliament's parties had been reduced from five to two: The Padanian Socialist Party and the Padanian Communist Party, the Socialist being the most popular one with 60% of the votes in June 1980.

Collapse of the Comintern

The Comintern started collapsing on the late 1980's, when several nations, such as West Germany, the Netherlands, Yugoslavia, Persia, Pakistan, Turkey, Iraq and Syria left it. By 1990, only three states were left on it: The Italian League, Padania, and the Soviet Union itself. the Italian League left on a major constitutional reform on 1991, when they became a right-winged presidential democracy. Padania was the last nation to leave the Comintern in 1995, due to increasing revolts against the Soviets in several cities.

Vittorio Emmanuele IV had died on 1989, and a regent was in throne until 1995 because first Vittorio Emmanuele's son, Emmanuele Filiberto, was too young to rule, and when he was 21, on 1993, he refused to ascend to the throne until Padania left the Comintern. It is the longest time a woman has been consort of the Kingdom of Padania, when Emmanuele Filiberto's mother, Marina of Naples, was regent for all six years, in which Padania became each time less asociated with the USSR and finally left the Comintern. On 1995, at the age of 23, Emmanuele Filiberto ascended to the throne of Padania as Emmanuele Filiberto I of Padania. He reformed the Panadian government, returning the five original parties, and changing the title "Chairman of the Padanian Socialist Presidium" for that of "Prime Minister".

Present Day

Padania is the most powerful nation on Central Europe, excepting for Switzerland. Economy and infrastructure are quickly developing. It is the only nation influenced by the Soviets when they were still on the top of their power with over one party, although both are left-winged.

International Relationships

Padania was originally closed to the exterior, until it became influenced by the Soviet Union, in the moment which the Padanian government had open relations with almost all Soviet-affiliated nations. When the Soviet Union collapsed, Padania started to make international relationships on the west and south, including Switzerland and the Italian League.


Administrative Divisions

Padania is divided into nine administrative divisions called "Dipartimenti" (Italian for Departments), which are:

  • Lombardia
  • Liguria
  • Trentino
  • Toscana
  • Veneto
  • Piedemont
  • Firuli
  • Emilia-Romagna
  • Marche

Padania also has six "Distretti" (Italian for Districts) which are:

  • Milano (Capital District)
  • Venice (Cultural District)
  • Firenze (Cultural District)
  • Torino (Industrial District)
  • Genoa (Industrial District)
  • Nizza (Commercial District)

Finally, the lands east of the Rhone and on the Istrian Peninsula, gotten after the Padanian independence, are called "Territori" or "territories", which are parts of the country not given full provincehood. They are:

  • East Rhone
  • Istria

East Lyon

East Lyon had been given when Padania took over the Rhone valley in a treaty with France, in which it got the Rhone Valley and the first, second, third, fourth, six, seven and eight "arrondissements" of Lyon in exchange for some billion Padanian Lyres. It was renamed the Territory of East Rhone, while Nice became the Commercial District of Nizza. East Lyon is the capital of the Territory.


Padania's economy is very varied, ranging everything from wine-making to heavy industry, including but not being limited to agriculture, fishing, tourism, mining, shipbuilding, mechanic products, high-tech, light industry, and services.

Central Italy (Southern Padania)

On Central Italy, within the Department of Tuscany, the major industries are agriculture, wine-making, mining, and tourism. Tuscany (together with the Distretti of Florence) contributes to the 80% of South Padanian GDP, the other 20% being provided by the other region, Marche, which is a mostly agricultural region, being rather poor.

Northern Italy (Central and Northern Padania)

Central Padania

The richest region within Central Padania is Emilia-Romagna, contributing to 52% of the economy on Central Padania. It's major industries are agriculture, mechanic products, wine-making, food industry and tourism. The other region, Liguria, aports to a 48% of economy, being mostly ship-building, light industry, high-tech industry, services and exporting.

Northern Padania

The richest region in all of Padania, it accounts for about 40% of the total Padanian GDP. The richest of the regions on Northern Padania is Lombardy, whose main industries are agriculture, heavy and light industry, services and tourism.

Eastern France (West Padania)

The Nizza area accounts for about a 10% of the total Padanian GDP. Economy is mostly based on commerce and tourism, although agriculture and fishing are also high. East Lyon has also both heavy and light industries.


Military on Padania is not the most powerful nor the highest on technology. In fact, Padania's military is mainly small and badly equipped, one of the main Padanian problems now that the economy and culture are flourishing. It is divided into Air, Sea and Land forces.


Padania's main cultures are the Italian and French. Many of the cultural wonders of both cultures are on Padania, which makes tourism one of the most important industries within Padania. Most of the Italian Renaissance happened on Padanian territory.


The Padanian anthem is called "Va Pinsiero Nabucco".

Ad blocker interference detected!

Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers

Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.