The timeline of New Alliances first deviated from OTL when Austria won the Austro-Prussian War of 1866 followed by the French Empire winning the Franco-Prussian War in 1871. This meant that firstly: the French Empire did not fall and secondly that Prussia never gained the dominance it had in OTL. This had several knock-on effects. Austria then the most powerful of the German states managed to unify most of OTL Germany under the Austro-German Empire, with several exceptions
- Hanover, which remained an independent Kingdom with the backing of the British Empire
- Duchies of Schleswig and Holstein, which were in personal union with the Kingdom of Denmark; were absorbed fully into Denmark, after Denmark defeated Austria in the Second Schleswig War
- Because of the defeat in the Franco-Prussian War, Alsace-Lorraine remained part of France.
World War One started and progressed similarly (but not identical) to OTL, it differed in several respects:
- The Austro-German Empire's priorities were conquering the German-speaking areas of Europe (Hanover, Schleiswig-Holstein and Alsace-Lorraine) which meant it fought a war in the west on three fronts: with France, Hanover and Denmark. The concentration on the west allowed the Russian Empire several key victories in the east, leading to the Austro-German Empire losing much of it's eastern territories.
- Due to it's early victories, Russia was not subject to the revolutions which took it out of the war and eventually overthrew the monarchy.
- The Austro-German Empire was unable to effectively use it's U-Boat strategy, meaning that the US never entered the war.
- The Kingdom of Italy, allied with France and Britain, invaded several Austrian territories around it's borders.
The War was eventually won by the Allies
- The Russian monarchy was not overthrown by the Bolsheviks. Meaning the Russian Empire continued to exist up to the present day
- The US was not part of the war and therefore had no presence at the Paris Peace Conference
- The Austro-German Empire collapsed
The Treaty of Versailles differed greatly from OTL:
- The terms and reparations were much worse on Germany, due to the US' absence
- France obtained the Rhineland & other territories from Germany
- Italy obtained all of Tyrol, Dalmatia and Istria from the Austro-German Empire
- For supporting French interests at Versailles, France gave Italy Corsica, Nice and Savoy. Italy also gained France's former position in providing military defence for Monaco, bringing Monaco into Italy's sphere of influence rather than France's.
- France also gave the UK Normandy and Brittany, as Britain backed France's takeover of many German Territories.
- Russia gained most of the eastern territories formerly belonging to the Austro-German Empire.
World War Two did not occur, this was due to:
- Continued Alliance between Britain, France and Italy
- Germany was unable to make itself a powerful nation as it was constantly fighting the much more powerful France
- Austria remained a neutral and independent country.
However France and the US went to war with Japan after in invaded French territories in the Pacific, Russia joined the war on the side of Japan in order to counter US incursions into it's sphere of influence. The UK remained neutral during this conflict. Eventually a Treaty was brought in ending the Pacific War with no clear victor. France then abolished it's monarchy as the war was seen as a failure back home.
Modern differences to OTL:
- Monarchy of Italy never abolished, Kingdom of Italy expanded to include: Nice, Savoy, Corsica, Dalmatia, Istria & Tyrol.
- German Empire is a superpower consisting of Germany & Austria contests territory with France & Italy and in Eastern Europe with Russian Empire. Meaning that most OTL Eastern European states do not exist.
- Rather than abolish the British Empire, it's former territories federated with Britain to form the Imperial Commonwealth Federation
- The US never became the dominant superpower of the world, although powerful, Britain still had much more influence and it's Empire was not eroded (as WW2 never happened).
- In this timeline, rather than one dominant superpower (i.e. the USA) there were several: The United States, the Imperial Commonwealth Federation, China and Russia
- New England, Alaska & Hawaii seccede from the US, becoming Commonwealth Realms within the ICF
- Oregon & Washington are annexed by Canada, becoming the Province of South Columbia. Most of Idaho, Wyoming, Colorado & Montana are annexed by Canada, becoming the Province of the Southern Rockies.
- The US and Mexico contest territory in the south: Texas, New Mexico, southern California.
- The European Union is never formed as most of Europe is still at war at one stage or another.
- The Nordic countries form the Nordic Union, a supranational union (like EU in OTL), Estonia & the UK are associate members. Karelia & the Kola peninsula gain independence from Russia as the Republic of Kola-Karelia & join the Nordic Union.
- Communism never took hold in Russia or China, meaning the former remains an Empire and China a capitalist republic.
- Ireland never became an independent country, it was granted a devolved parliament by the UK & remains a constituent part of the UK
Nations and Alliances of New Alliances
|Imperial Comonwealth Federation||Nordic Union, Italian League||Federated union||Commonwealth Realms (former British Empire),|
|United Kingdom||Italy, France, Netherlands, Hanover||Constitutional monarchy (House of Windsor)||United Kingdom, Ireland, Normandy & Brittany (France)|
|Nordic Union||ICF||Supranational union of independent states||Norway, Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Iceland, Karelia|
|Italian League||ICF||Supranational union of independent states||Italy, Monaco, Vatican City, Malta, San Marino, Italian Switzerland|
|Kingdom of Italy||United Kingdom, France||Constitutional monarchy (House of Savoy)||Italy, Nice, Savoy, Corsica, Dalmatia, Istria, Tyrol|
|French Republic||United Kingdom, Italy, Netherlands||Republic||France, parts of Germany|
|Kingdom of Hanover||United Kingdom, Netherlands||Constitutional monarchy (House of Hanover)||Hanover (Germany)|
|Kingdom of Greece||United Kingdom, Italy||Constitutional monarchy (House of Byron)||Greece, East Thrace (European Turkey)|
|Kingdom of Jordan||United Kingdom, Israel||Constitutional monarchy (House of Hashem)||Jordan, Parts of the West Bank (Palestine)|
|State of Israel||United Kingdom, Jordan||Parliamentary republic||Israel, Parts of the West Bank (Palestine)|