- Britain, France, Italia, and the Suebs unite in the League of Nantes against Hispania.
- For joining the League, Italia is expelled from the Mediterranean Alliance.
- The League quickly conquers large swaths of technologically inferior Hispania. Britain conquers more of Basque Country and seizes the Tingis colony, France pushes into Catalonia, the Suebs begin taking Lusitania, and Italia takes much of Hispania's North African lands and lands an army in southeast Iberia.
- The Danes continue to push the Bulgars south. Hungary takes advantage of the distracted armies and snatches some Danish territory to its north.
- The Mediterranean Allies begin fomenting a revolt against the Danes in the Low Countries.
- Emperor John I sends in troops to his newly occupied territory in Catalonia. He builds the Hispanian Defense Line, the strongest defense line in Europe at the time.
- The Duchy of Sicily's army advances in Hispania.
- The Duchy expelled, the Mediterranean Allies look to punish Sicily. Rome invades Sicily. They capture territory and put siege to Napoli. Hungary convinces the Duchy to give up their territory along the Black Sea, with the Duchy's armies committed elsewhere they agree on the fact that they may move their army to areas with more pressing concerns.
- The Danes rail system totally collapse just like the Dotcom era of the late 20th century. What seemed to be doing wonders for Denmark and France was really eating up their resources and economy. The rail and steam system look to be set back another 300 to 500 years.
- The Low Countries rebel and the bulk of the Danish army is caught in the middle of Europe, their push into Bavarian territory is halted.
- Hungary capitalizes on the Danish failures and gains more territory in the north with the help of a few specialist Roman soldiers.
- The British seize all of Hispania's land in North Africa.
- France advances in Hispania.
- The Suebs advance in Hispania
- Scottish Celts take advantage of the absence of Britain's army and small pockets revolt.
- Poland prepares it's army for a final battle with the Danish army in the hope that it can totally crush the remains of the Danish Empire in central Europe
- The Kingdom of British takes more land from Hispania, but has to diverge most of its troops in Africa to Britain in order to help quell the uprising in northern Britain. They accept a trade with the United Duchy of Italy and Sicily that gives them all of the land the they conquer in Hispania and in return they get their North African holdings. (they won't transfer the holding in Hispania to the Brits until they can get more troops down there).
- France gain lands in Hispania; Suebes and UDIS (United Duchy of Italy and Sicily) are held up by the Hispanic armies.
- Low Countries joins the Kingdom of Poland in order to have better protection from the Danish army in Europe. This also marks when Poland launches a attack on that army, taking out almost 1/4th of them, but then being thrown back a bit.
- Kingdom of Bavaria also launches a coordinated attack on that same army and is able to take out 1/7th of it, but leave a good 1/4th wounded. this leaves the army below half-staff and they begin conscripting people into the army now to replenish the ranks.
- The Danish army in Asia launches an attack just as the Hungarians take more land from them. This attack is known to be translated roughly to "Swift Attack of the 'Bulge'", it uses cavalierly as the main offensive force, as well as fast attack infantry. The Danes are trying to make it to the capitol of Bulgaria at least.
- Roman Empire sizes the chance to take back Italy and Sicily (or at least re-claim some land from them) and launches a massive sea-born invasion with small over-land force to distract them even further.
- Kingdom of the British separate the rebellion in two, enabling them to launch attack with greater ease.
- Principality of Ireland becomes the equivalent to OTL modern day Switzerland, and is completely neutral now in the affairs of all European countries. This leads them to have a small economic boom as they are now seen by many to be a reliable trading companion; Many almost all nations agree that if a nation where to attack them they would have to have a reasonable cause.
- The Romans expand easterly and become aware of a people that worship a goddess with 6 arms, they become intrigued (them thinking it is the end of the world and all, which they increasingly regard as none-since) by this and send a diplomatic expedition, it is estimated to have a total of 5 year travel time.
- Hispaniards are cut off from the sea by the Italians and French.
- British army creates a Basque state.
- Roman occupation of Sicily creates the Free Italian Kingdom.
- Bavarians crush landlocked Danish.
Distraught at the collapse of the French railroad system, John I has a heart attack. He dies in June and is succeeded by younger sister Anne, becoming the first Empress of France. Anne immediately has the railroad system destroyed and instead embarks on a road system. Anne also ends French expansion into Hispania. She turns all of France's Spanish territories into the Kingdom of Catalonia.
Somebody please make a map reflecting the changes
- Catalonia, the Suebs, the Basques, and the Italians finish the conquest of Hispania.
- The Romans advance up the Italian peninsula and land on Sardinia and North Africa.
- While the Danes continue pushing south into Bulgaria, Hungary and Poland expand north into their territory.
- A group of disgruntled Danish nobles sponsored by the Mediterranean Alliance mutinies against the government and sets up a rival court at Oslo.
- As the Hungarians continue to take bites out of Danish territory, the Roman Emperor decides that he prefers the isolationist Denmark to a newly expansionist Hungary, and stops sending the Hungarians military aid.
Under strain from Poland, the West Danish Empire, Hungary, and Bulgaria, the true Danish Empire collapses and splits into the Kingdom of Sweden, the Kingdom of Finland, and the Kingdom of the Baltic Tribes. All the efforts of Gustav and Carl the Great (who had both reigned from 515-580), were now un-done.
In France, the printing press is invented.
Somebody please make a map reflecting the changes
Radio's is a NO GO
A rebellion starts in Russia, the rebels almost succeed, but the Danish army moves in and wipes out the rebellions, they also kill hundreds of Russians to make sure the Russians know that they will not show mercy.
- Free Italian Kingdom becomes shorten to Italian Kingdom as the official name
- Roman Empire is able to take some more shore line in North Africa and move inland. It is also able to take more land in mainland Italy but is stopped from getting to Rome by the battle hardened and wiry troops from Hispania and North Africa. After four months of further bloodshed with neither side gaining any significant ground, the Roman Empire proposes peace; in the agreement it will keep all of its holdings and be granted a large portion of North African holdings, but the Italian Kingdom can keep its land and is given a 35 year truce. The Italian King reluctantly accepts the offer after hearing the the Empress of France wishes to keep the peace and supports Rome this time and would not send further French men to bloodshed.
- Italian Kingdom takes a small amount of land in North Africa to connect what holdings it has left.
- Empire of Hungary and Greater Bulgaria launch a cooperative attack against the NOW Kingdom of the Baltic Tribes army and crushes them taking some territory extra, but nothing even slightly important. The three nations sign a 40 year truce with all borders to be stabilized by the end of this year.
- West Danish Empire takes Denmark before Poland is able to make a move. The Poles a slightly aggravated by this, but accept it none the less.
- The diplomatic expedition returns with tall tails (?) of huge best that this wild men rode upon and with rare and extravagant gifts from the kingdoms over there. Roman Empire launches a more well equipped expedition into this new and exciting land. As the Roman explorers start to come back with tails (?) of even further far off lands (some others from hunting parties/private expeditions) it becomes clear that the gods have made this world even larger then previously thought and it is now believed that in-fact the Earth is instead ever expanding and may never have an end.
- More nations from Europe & Western Russia become aware of this ideal and begin to, if not slowly, adopt it as a new idea of the world.
- Suebs, Basques and Catalonia make a Tri-Kingdom Alliance which greatly strengthens ties between them.
- The first papers to be printed off the French printing press are sold to the upper-classes of France only. The Empress does not see a problem with this now and concentrates on building a cobble stone road system to link all French cities together; that begins in Paris.
- this year marks the end to the Hispania War, The Italian-Roman war, and the Danish Empire's Expansionist War.
Kingdom of Sweden is Gray-Blue; Kingdom of Finland is human-pink; Kingdom of the Baltic Tribes is purple. unfortunately my text button in paint for map game pics does not allow me to write the names in, otherwise I would
- An area of Poland called the Nederlands rebels.
- Italy expands its African holdings.
- As soldiers return to Britain from the great European Wars, they realise that after all they had done they are treated like dirt. They are ignored and left to beg on the streets. The monarchy had grown fat off the plunders of war. The military instigated rebellion. In a matter of weeks they set up an independent republic in Scotland and Eastern England. At the same time, the rest of Scotland declared independence. The Empire of France stepped in and took the south coast declaring that they are safeguarding their Imperial vassals. The Kingdom of the British is reduced to an area of central England called the Britannia Realm.
The Kingdom of Finland signs a treaty with Hungary, Greater Bulgaria, and Poland, and launches attack on the Kingdom of the Baltic Tribes, who were weakened by almost 100 years of continuous war. Finland however is unsuccessful and is driven back.
In France, the Empress is becoming increasingly unpopular, since she supports the rich. A disgruntled peasant assaults and kills the Empress. Her second son, James, becomes James I of France. James I begins oppressing the people and he ties the peasants to their land. He has the peasant who murdered his mother tortured and beaten non-stop for fifteen months. James I establishes a secret police force and he modernizes the military even further. James also expands France's cobblestone road system.
-The Duchy of Italy, along with France, Hungary and Bulgaria, attack the Roman Empire, taking a lot of lands.
-On change, the Roman Empire takes over all African lands of Italy.
-France, in return, attacks parts of the ex-Italian colonies.
A Catalonian inventor discovers that tightly stretched sails placed parallel to a ship's keel allow a ship to sail much closer to the wind, almost doubling it's speed, and making it even faster than galleys under oars. he begins building ships of this design, and soon Catalonia has a quickly expanding merchant marine, making it very prosperous
A French scientist develops the early periodic table, discovering oxygen, radium, and nitrogen. Soon, other French scientists begin developing further the periodic table. A French mathematician also invents algebra and calculus.
Catalonian ships now all but monopolize the carrying trade on the western Mediterranean, and control almost half the trade in the eastern sea
The Catalonians use some of their new-found wealth to start a royal college, similar to the one in France. They hire the best professors France has to offer, in order to educate the Catalonian nobility.
- Nederland gains its independence.
- Catalonia, Italy and France expand into Roman North Africa. Bulgaria and Hungary expand on Rome.
After a hundred years of war, the Roman Empire collapses. It splits into the Kingdom of Byzantine Turkey, the Kingdom of Judea (Judea is the term used in this period, Palestine is what the British called it), the Kingdom of North Africa, and the Kingdom of Smaller Bulgaria, and the Kingdom of Macedon
Got a Map of the Middle East!
- Byzantine Turkey collapses under the international pressure. Egypt, Nabatea, Babylon, Assyria, Syria, and Greece get independent on the next countries:
- Syria and Assyria
- Byzantine Turkey then changes it's name to Anatolia.
- Sassanid Persia, Babylon, Egypt, Syria and Assyria and Judea are nervous of their neighbors, the Arabs, which are recently raiding nearby lands. They use combined resources to build a great wall all along the Arabic Peninsula, with several thousands of soldiers as guards.
- Hungary, which thinks it would be better to appease Greece, gives them a strip of land connecting mainland Greece and Constantinople.
The King of Judea, Hemet I, begins a massive program of modernization for his under-developed kingdom. French soldiers, scientists, doctors, and philosophers move into Judea, opening colleges, hospitals, and science laboratories.
Meanwhile, France signs a treaty with the Duchy of Italy (Italia). France gains Sardinia and a portion of territory from Italy in exchange for allowing Italy to expand into Macedon and Greece.
(*I don't know if I'm allowed, but I made this map because I thought the original was in quite a state of disrepair, SAVE ALL IMAGES AS .PNG's!!!)
- The Wall of Arabia is completed.
- Assyria and Syria divide peacefully.
- Another treaty between France and Italy is signed. Italy is given Sardinia back in exchange for full support on the French plan of invading Iberia.
The Duchy of Italy, having grown incredibly rich from tariffs placed on ships travelling through the Strait of Gibraltar begins a massive modernization effort to great success and reorganizes her entire military. The New military colleges train an elite military force. The Duchy of Italy starts taxing all ships that travel through the Mediterranean sea, with the right to do so thanks to the fact that her navy is now number one in Europe and possibly, the world (other than Catalonia). This damages the economies of Greece, Anatolia, The kingdom of Zuegatana, Judea and especially, Catalonia. The Italians exempt the ships of France to this law however as it finds that France could be a great ally. The Italians now have an iron grip on the Italian peninsula and the Mediterranean.
Catalonia, in order to force Italy to back down from it's excessive taxation of trade in the Mediterranean, declares war on Italy, and invades the Italian Iberian territories. Catalonia's army and navy are much more modern, as Italy had just begun it's modernization program, so Catalonian forces drive the Italians out of much of Iberia and North Africa, while Catalonia's navy prevents reinforcements from reaching the beleaguered Italians. Catalonian diplomats also propose a alliance with Anatolia, Greece, and Zuegatana, who all accept.
France attacks and annexes Italian Corsica and Sardinia, forcing the Italians to recognize their gains.
- France, thinking of how did Italy exempt them of their taxes, give Corsica and Sardinia back and attack Catalonia
- Even if Catalonia's army and navy are more modernized, Italy and France's are also modernized and much more numerous, plus Catalonia's economy is very weak and cannot feed or pay it's soldiers, making hundreds of them to defect.
- The Basques join the fight on the French-Italian side.
- The three Allied Powers, how they call themselves, are able to conquer Catalonia.
- The so-called "Florencian Renaissance" is started. Great buildings and statues are built. Food and culture on both France and Italy becomes the vanguard of the Christian world, and perhaps of all of it.
- The Duchy of Italy completes its modernization program
GUYS. IF YOU WANT TO MAKE CHANGES, DO NOT POST THEM ON THE YEAR THAT I JUST MADE!
France separates the former Catalonia into the Kingdom of French Hispania. The Kingdom has it's own government and laws, but has no army and is totally dependent on the support of the French Empire.
Meanwhile the Duchy of Italy becomes the Italian Empire and claims Catalonia's former African colonies for itself.
The Catalonian-Anatolian-Greek-Zuegatanian alliance still exists but after losing Catalonia they lose initiative and a large military ally. By some chance of miracle the major Catalonian leaders, scientists, generals and others flee by boat to Suebs and Zeugatana successfully.
- Finland gains lands on the Baltic Tribes.
- The Hungarian Empire sends diplomats to Kingdom of Poland, Kingdom of Bavaria, and the Netherlands. They sign a Mutual Defense and Aid pack allowing all of their militarily through each others lands. Netherlands is exempt from this unless it calls for it, in which they well agree to let the armies through. The Poles and Netherlanders both agree that if neither were to interact the better, so they sign a separate agreement in which they well start to build relations by allowing people to cross borders and what not. This is solidified when a powerful merchants daughter from the Netherlands and a powerful Polish merchant son marry, thus making them an economic power house.
- The Hungarian Empire seeks to gain some land on the Mediterranean so it, with the consent of the other powers proceeds to declare war on the Italian Empire and take a swath of land from them in their first attack. This also allows the newly invigorated Anatolian-Greek-Zuegatanian alliance to attack.
- A note to make of this is that it allows them to actually merge alliances with other nations, and when this is brought into perspective the Hungarian Empire, Kingdom of Poland, Bulgaria join the Anatolian-Greek-Zuegatanian alliance in order to stop the aggressive Italian-Franco Empires.
- The Netherlands choose neutrality UNLESS Kingdom of Bulgaria, itself or Kingdom of Poland are attacked.
- Even without the modernization they are able to break through the defenses by using tactics of which the Italian-Franco alliance do not know how to counter, mainly the tactic of moving fast with low drag.
- The Italian-Franco alliance does however stop the other three nations from attacking by navy. Hungarian Navy is in the black sea blocking entrance and checking each ship that comes in.
- Greater Bulgaria and Lesser Bulgaria combine to form the Federated Republic of Bulgaria which quickly declares itself neutral in the western matter.
- Greece makes gains in the same area Hungarian armies are holding up the Italians. Mainly because the Italians attention is elsewhere.
- Kingdom of Zuegatanian attacks some of the Italians North African holdings, but only gains a small amount as the colony guard is tougher then they predicted.
- Anatolian merchant ships disguised as Italian merchant vessels get by the navy, launching from a point in the black sea where some Italian ships have been held up. They make it all the way back to Sicily where they unload a large amount of troops taking the islanders by complete surprise.
- France attacks the Kingdom of Zuegatanian, but then realizes that it would leave its eastern border guard-less and decided on building up some forces along the Eastern Border. Allowing the Zuegatanians to take back their lands.
- The Action of France is mirrored by the other two, except Netherlands which is still technically neutral
- So advancements are made off of the Italian vessels being held in the Black sea; the advancements are to the Eastern Bloc's (which is what they now call themselves (that being the Hungarian-Polish-Bavarian-Netherlander-Anatolian-Greek-Zuegatanian alliance)) favor.
- The Eastern Bloc well not stop short of the complete dissolution's of the two modern empires.
- Ireland, the Britannia, the Republic of Britain (holds military might in Britain for the moment as it WAS the military of Britannia which formed this country, and Scotland declare neutrality.
- Basques lean towards the Franco-Italian alliance, which the Suebes (because of the great number of Catalonian survivors that made it here)-Danes-Swedes-Fins lean towered the Eastern Bloc
- The Suebes however looked to be more divided then ever right now over which alliance to join, it looks a lot like civil war may break out.
- MOST other nations declare neutrality in this quagmire of a war
James I of France dies. His son, Emperor Alexander I, severs the alliance with Italy and pulls out from the war. The new emperor signs a series of treaties with the Greek-Anatolia-Zuetanga-Hungary alliance, promising neutrality in any further conflict. Alexander I, however, builds up his army and navy to protect France. A flood of troops are sent to French North Africa and to southern England.
By now, the total population of Europe is 150 million, due to the technological and industrial advancements within the last 100 years. Italy has 50 million people, France 45 million, Hungary 20 million, while the rest is split between Greater Bulgaria, Anatolia, Greece, Bavaria, Poland, the West Danish Empire, Sweden, Finland, Suebs, and Basques.
I have a question. Why would Italy have less population than Hungary if Italy is the cultural, scientific, military and gastronomic centre of the world? I believe it would be: Italy, 50, France, 45, Hungary, 40, the rest split between all the others.
Italy and Hungary make a peace treaty: Italy will secede a small part of their lands and reduce Mediterranean taxes for Hungary.
Zuegatana gets attacked by Italy. Carthage is taken.
The Anatolians, passing through permitted- Hungarian lands, arrive at the Baltic and then move towards Ireland. They attack pieces of it and Ireland joins the fight on the Western side.
The both Britannias, which are pressured by French and Irish, join the fight on the Western side.
Bulgaria, which wanted to attack Anatolia, but was afraid of Hungary, finally attacks Anatolia, taking Trebizond and Sinope.
Italy, with superior army, attack Greece and Anatolia, conquering swaths of their lands and the Aegean Isles, making Syria to join the war on the pro-eastern side.
the Suebs divide into two because of their loyalties: Northern Sueb-land turned into pro-East Galicia, while that the southern Sueb-land becomes pro-western Portugal.
The Anatolian armies on Sicily are quickly defeated by partisans and Italian armies.
At the same time, an Arabian merchant called Muhammed starts conquering lands with his idea of "Islam", but is stopped at the Arabian wall, the permanent frontier between the Islamic and the Christian-Pagan worlds.
The Britannic armies land on the Netherlands, while the French conquer the OTL Belgium. The scared successor to the Netherlands, Holland, sues for peace.
France gives OTL Belgium and it's portion of Britain to the British Republic as a measure of goodwill. Alexander I then decrees France will expand no further, to stay within her borders as he puts it.
At this time a Baltic tribal leader named Igor the brave comes into power over several of the western Baltic tribes after his marriage to multiple princesses. It would be some time until these people become organized enough however to set up a proper kingdom.
French Hispania begins expanding its merchant marine, which is still the only one in the world which uses fore-and-aft rigged sails. they quickly begin controlling commerce in their own waters, and along the North Africa coast.
The Italian government goes bankrupt, a combination of their enormous spending and their foolhardy attempt to tax traffic on the Mediterranean.
French Hispania purchases land on both sides of the Straits of Gibraltar, to help alleviate Italy's debts.
France offers Italy 9,650,000 Imperial Denari to help alleviate the Italian debts.
Somebody please make a map reflecting the changes
Italy refuses the Denari. To alleviate the bankruptcy, it sells almost all its Balkan territories and sells Cyrenaica to Egypt. Almost 30,000,000 Imperial Florins and some alliances are created. The French aren't angry as they had said that they wouldn't expand their lands more. French Iberia gives the Gibraltar lands to Italy again, and buy the Greek Islands held by Italy. On that year, Italy got almost 40,500,000 Florins, which was about 22,000,000 Denri.
Most of the Catalonian refugees return to French Hispania. this helps bolster the Hispanian merchant marine with many expert sailors, and intellectuals expand the French Hispanian colleges.
Seeing the stability provided by their close association to France, a growing majority of French Hispanians clamor for official union with France.
Thanks to the purchase of the Greek islands, the French Hispanian merchant marine soon controls most of the trade in the eastern Mediterranean, but on the central and western, and on the Atlantic, Italy controls it.