|Nuovo Impero Romano|
New Roman Empire
Foedere et Religione Tenemur
("We are held together by Pact and Religion")
Marcia Reale or Giovinezza(unofficial)
N.R.E (pale green).
|Head of government:|
1922 – 1965:
|Head of State:|
|Formely King now Emperor (from 1942)|
Vittorio Emmanuele III
- Per capita:
New Roman Empire (Italian:Nuovo Impero Romano) is a state consisting of the Italian peninsula, A.O.I (Africa Orientale Italiana - Italian East Africa) (Eritrea, Ethiopia, Italian Somaliland), Libya, and much of the Balkan Peninsula including Greece. It is also a member of the Lira Block a trade and defense pact it founded.
Government and Law
- Lira Block
Organization of the Empire
There are three degrees of of citizenship;
1. Italian Citizenship is given to those of Italian descent or who have naturalized after a certain number of years. They have access to public services and suffrage. Male citizens must serve in the armed forces.
2. Imperial Citizenship is granted to members of a colony (they must have colonial citizenship first) that have proven their loyalty to the Empire. It gives all the rights of an Italian citizen except the right to reside in Italy. Only those in Libya have this type of citizenship yet.
3. Colonial Citizenship, granted to all those in the colonies that have Italianized. It grants some of the rights of an Italian citizenship, it also allows those granted to work in local government and colonial military. Colonial Citizens were, in 1968, allowed to travel between colonies for the first time.
Italian derives diachronically from Latin, and is the closest national language to Latin. Unlike most other Romance languages, Italian retains Latin's contrast between short and long consonants. As in most Romance languages, stress is distinctive. In particular, among the Romance languages, Italian is the closest to Latin in terms of vocabulary. Lexical similarity is 89% with French, 87% with Catalan, 85% with Sardinian, 82% with Spanish, 78% with Rhaeto-Romance and 77% with Romanian.
- Italian in N.R.E
As the N.R.E has almost no exposure to much of the outside world, and many people hate the English and French it is not the norm to use words from foreign languages. As new words come into existence they are normally Italized versions of a combination of Latin words.
Since before the fall of the Western Empire the Italian Peninsula has been the heartland of Catholicism. With the exception of the Avignon Captivity, an unbroken line of Popes have reigned in Rome presiding over the Court of Saint Peter. This history as the center of the largest Christian Sect and the fact that a majority of the Popes have been Italians, Catholicism is seen as an integral part of Italian culture. For Centuries in addition to being a Spiritual leader the Holy See functioned as Theocratic state ruling the city of Rome and the Papal States as a Christian Theocracy in junction with Italian nobles.
The Papal States effectively ended in 1870 when the Kingdom of Italy annexed the city of Rome and the remaining Papal territories; leaving the Holy See a proverbial place to stand in the confines of Vatican City. A state of impotent hostility existed between the Kingdom of Italy and the Holy See for decades, with the Vatican unwilling to recognize the new regime.
This state was ended and reversed in the Early Fascist Era in the Lateran Treaty, in which Benito Mussolini and the Papacy created a working relationship between the Italian state and Church that has endured to this day.
Catholicism is recognized as the only State religion of the Empire (as it was under the Kingdom of Italy). While other religions are legal Catholics and converts to Catholicism receive additional government assistance and are more likely to receive tax breaks and the like. Additionally the Church itself receives a number of privileges under law in the Empire.
Catholicism is the largest religion in the NRE, claiming virtually the entire Italian population, the Croatians, many German Romans, Hungarian exiles, and converted sections of the Balkan and African natives.
Eastern Orthodox Christianity :
Several nationalities in the NRE hold to their own national churches.
- The Bulgarian Orthodox Church is recognized as the most eminent of the Orthodox faiths in the Empire. After an official apology was delivered to the Church in 1947 by Count Galeazo Ciano for the Christmas Raid the Church has become a cooperative element.
- The Serbian Orthodox Church has been censured in the past for failures to cooperate with Imperial forces. While most Serbians continue to adhere to their local church the institution continues to labor under a debt accumulated through fines and land seizures carried out during the Yugoslavian insurgency.
- The Greek Orthodox Church has suffered numerous setbacks in the past decades. Dating back to rebellion against the Muslim Turks the Greek Church has been a rallying standard for Greek Nationalism. With the decline of the Hellenic Council the Church leadership became divided between Nationalist elements who resented Italian influence, and Anti-Marxists who above all else feared Communist Revolution. As a result of this division several priests took the initiative supporting different sides ultimately leading to a state of distrust towards this Church from both the Italians and Nationalists. Since the advent of peace the Nationalist elements have been greatly suppressed, though tension has been building between the Greek Orthodox Bishop of Cyprus and the Patriarch.
- The Ethiopian Orthodox Church like the Serbian Church is in a state of debt to the Imperial Government and has been subject to government observation. In recent years controversy has risen over challenges as to whether or not the Ethiopian Orthodox Church possesses the Ark of the Covenant, and if so whether they would have legal claim to withholding such an artifact from the wider Christian Community.
Islam is the dominant religion in the Regions of Albania, Thrace, AOI, and Tunisia; additionally a large minority of Muslims reside in Libya and Mozambique.
Despite being a proudly Catholic state the NRE and before it the Kingdom of Italy has worked to cultivate good relations with domestic Muslim populations. Governor Balbo, the Father of Libya, is credited for ending the animosity between Muslim and Christian populations in Libya; establishing the racial and religious co-operation that is the famed trait of the province. In Albania economic progress and political stability has served to win hearts and minds of the population. The Turkish Romans have repeatedly proven themselves among the most loyal of subjects, a result stemming from Italian intervention against the Greek pogroms. In East Africa Muslim populations enjoy the liberation from Ethiopian rule and hold a position socially inferior only to the Italian colonists.
In the AOI Muslim Askeri have repeatedly served with distinction alongside the Italian armed forces. Similarly Albanian Colonial Soldiers are traditionally responsible for police actions in Serbian lands. Most famous however are the action (sometimes questionable) of Turkish colonial troops during the Greek Troubles.
The Shrine of the Protector, which honors Mussolini's pledge to the Muslim world, is among the most heavily visited Fascist shrines drawing Muslim fascists from across the Empire and abroad.
Unlike most of Continental Europe the Jewish population of the NRE was spared the Holocaust atrocities. During World War II several Jews from Nazi occupied Europe took refuge in the Empire and its territories. Post War these refugees almost entirely emigrated, returning to their homelands, or emigrating to the USA, and later Israel.
Though Jews have been part of the Fascist Party since the early days of the Party, the Empires Jews have encountered many troubles since the advent of the Lira-Zionist Feud. While the NRE condemns the State of Israel it has never endorsed an ethic based policy on Jews anywhere in the world. The continued appeals from Israel to their coreligionists and the exposure of ODESSA have resulted in a trend of decline in the NRE's Jewish population due to emigration.
The worship of the Former Ethiopian Emperor in banned in the NRE. Practicing Rastafarianism is grounds for being denied entrance to the Empire. Domestically Rastas are not recognized as a religious group as defined under Imperial law and viewed as rebels, citing their stated allegiance to a known enemy of Fascism.
Cult of Personality:
For Mussolinism/Cult of Il Duce see Culture.