This is the official page for the Map Contest. The corresponding blog post can be found here.
See: Rules (Map Contest)
Since I have gotten no rebuttals to my adoption, I have received permission from LG to adopt the Map Contest. Yay! ~ Upvoteanthology
April 6th, 2015: The Map Contest will be starting again under new management.
April 9th, 2015: Due to Cour's return to Chat, I have been alerted that he's not gone for good. However, he has given me permission to run the map contest, since he doesn't have the time to.
April 20th, 2015: The next contest will be the Election Map contest, and you may begin preparing maps now if you please. However, the entry section will not go up until next Monday.
April 20th, 2015: Voting has been opened for "One Big Wank".
- King of the Hill Archive
- The House of Habsburg Archive
- An Unlikely Union Archive
- Our Southern Neighbor Archive
- Principia Moderni II Crossover Archive
- Ancient Empires Archive
- We Shall Do This For Mother Russia! Archive
- Pink Stars Are Falling In Lines Archive
- Pax Americana Archive
- Day of Infamy Archive
- Nova Roma Archive
- The End of the World As We Know It Archive
- By Odin's Beard Archive
- Quetzalcoatl Archive
- Across the Pond Archive
- Terra Nova Archive
- Russian Summer Archive
- Exile or Death Archive
- Jigsaw Archive
- The Wall Archive
- The Little Guy Archive
- The Imperial West Archive
If you are going to make a map for the current contest, please write your name in the area below:
- —Bfoxius (talk) (back and better than ever)
- — Hellerick
- 02:21, April 6, 2015 (UTC)
- Vatonica (talk) 02:28, April 6, 2015 (UTC)
- Consul Ioshua (Talk)
- Edge who is too cool to sign his sig.
- Toby2: THEY CALL ME Mr. Awesome!!!
- Local Mafia Boss (Talk) (Blog)
- Saturn120 12:34, April 7, 2015 (UTC)
- Hail Sean! (Get a free potato here)
07:00, April 8, 2015 (UTC)
Contest 23: One Big Wank (Monday, April 6th - Monday, April 20)Edit
- Scenario: Wank a nation to an extreme extent. A "wank", in alternate history terms, is making a certain country exceed its limits to the extreme.
- Examples: A United States owning all of North America along with the UK is a wank, for example. A Roman Empire having a border at the Urals is also a wank.
- Time Frame: You have from April 6th to April 20th to make your map. The date for final entries to the contest is 11:59pm UTC on the 20th, meaning 6:59pm for those on the east coast.
ENTRIES ARE CLOSED (as of April 20th)!
The People's Union (Upvoteanthology)Edit
Scenario: The USSR supports and sponsors Communism in China instead of resenting it. After a USSR backing Communist government forms in the region, they decide to unite to combat the United States. The world becomes even more divided, leading to a greater NATO forming, known as the Alliance for Peace. The USSR, renamed to the People's Union after the unification, still survived and was a world power much longer than in OTL. However, most nations were destroyed in a gruesome and bloody WWIII, which took place from 1996-2003.
Scenario: In 1675, a war erupts between Sweden and Denmark-Norway, with countries backing either side. However, Sweden invades Denmark-Norway, and almost instantly conquers Copenhagen. Sweden then goes on to conquer Oslo in 1677, and Denmark-Norway agrees to surrender to Sweden. Sweden, already controlling much of Finland and the Baltic States decides to join the countries of Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Iceland, Scania, Gotland, Estland (Estonia), and Livonia (Latvia), to become the United Scandinavian Kingdom. This empire would become a more vital power, gaining control of some small islands in the Caribbean, Andaman, and even the Gold Coast, and most importantly Ellesmere and Greenland.
The Stronk and the Ludicrous (Scrawland Scribblescratch)Edit
Scenario: This map TL stretches back to the Time of Troubles in Russia. With the aid of sorcerers from the Far East, the Poles take control of Russia, increasing the size of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. Eventually this continuously expanding nation becomes the Kingdom of Poland. (Poland stronk!) History proceeds as usual, with Poland taking the place of Russia. Later, Poland allies with Napoleon in his wars against the rest of Europe, which results in a Napoleonic victory.
In the 1830s and 40s, the United States aids the Lower and Upper Canada Rebellions instead of Texas after taking advice from the Grandmaster of the Polish Wizarding Order. Texas eventually loses its rebellion and Mexico stays intact, while the United States annexes Upper Canada. Due to their losses against Napoleon and then the Canadians, Britain takes a more vigorous stance in America and fights the United States over Oregon, which results in a British victory. This weakens the United States and eliminates any chance of them attacking Mexico.
When the American Civil War breaks out, the French prop up the Second Mexican Empire, and this new Mexico with foreign support tightens its grip on Central America. Mexican power continues to increase, later enabling Mexico to go to war with Spain. This war leads to the Mexican annexation of Cuba, Puerto Rico, and Guam, as well as gaining control of the Philippines. Mexico also annexes Hawaii and continues to gain power. Mexico later annexes Panama after defeating Colombia in a war and constructs the Panama Canal.
In World War I, the Allies (Britain, Germany, Italy, and the Ottoman Empire) fight the Entente (France, Poland and Italy). Mexico later joins on the side of the Entente after repeated British offenses and a general desire to go to war. The Entente wins the war, which results in the dismantling of the German and Ottoman Empires, as well as massive reduction of British territory. After World War I, there is massive political upheaval across the world. In Britain, the government is overthrown, resulting in a ten year period of political instability and five warring factions (the monarchists, the republicans, the Communists, the extremists, and the independence fighters in Scotland and Ireland). In the end, a Fascist government took power, Scotland and Ireland gained independence, and the old government fled to Canada. In Poland, there is a revolution which results in the creation of a Communist state. In Germany, there is a brief republican period that ends with the rise of the Nazis.
In the 1930s, Japan and China (the Empire of China) began a series of wars that would devastate Asia. Simultaneously, China began its civil war as Communists and republicans fought the failing imperial government. This allowed Japan to take large swaths of land. In Oceania, the fall of Britain resulted in the formation of a republic made up of all the former British territories in the region. Back in Europe, tensions increased as England tried to take back Scotland and Germany wanted to expand its borders into French territory. Tensions reached a breaking point when England officially invaded Scotland in 1941, which led to Poland and France declaring war on England. Germany later declared war on Poland and France, marking the beginning of World War II.
World War II saw many of the same alliances, although there was no longer an Ottoman Empire. The conflict in Asia did not connect with the one in Europe until China and Japan both began attacking French and British territories and China attempted a futile invasion of Polish Mongolia. China later signed a non-aggression pact with England and Germany, and later signed the Axis Pact with them. However, Spain, now a Fascist dictatorship, joined the Axis powers (now England, Germany, Italy, Spain, and China), and attacked France. The Axis later conquered France and launched a massive offensive into Poland. Mexico did not join the war until China began attacking the Chinese Philippines in 1943. This led to Mexico declaring war on the Axis powers, followed soon after by its ally the United States.
The war only lasted two more years after Mexico joined. Japan did not join the new Allies (Poland, Mexico, France, and their allies) but did aid them in combating England and China. The war resulted in Allied victory and the emergence of Mexico and Poland as the world's superpowers.
Bolsheviks, Bonapartes and Bushes (LightningLynx89)Edit
Scenario: Napoleon is able to stay in a more position of power and does not go mad crazy and begin his conquest through all of Europe. He slowly annexes more and more, building France up into the great giant it is now. The French are able to successfully to aid the Confederacy in a victory that would secure their independence.
Butterflies flap. The Great War of 1910, caused by some damn thing in the Balkans, pits Germany, Austria-Hungary, the Ottoman Empire and Italy against Russia, France and the United Kingdom. The Quadruple Alliance triumphs, with the United Kingdom managing to get out of the war with a white peace, while France is humiliated in the Treaty of Munich and Russia falls to the Bolsheviks and becomes the Union of Eurasian Soviet Republics. The Ottoman Empire, while it is in the winner's circle, succumbs to Communist and nationalist revolts.
The Second Great War, sees Italy fall to Fascism and France adopt Bonapartism, a fusion of Italian Fascism with the desire to avenge France's loss and recreate Napoleon's continental system. Forging an alliance of convenience with the Eurasians, the Italians and the Japanese, the Pact of Iron wages war against the Germans and their allies. The United Kingdom and the two Americas are content to let these empires fight one another, although the UK does join in on the German side after the Japanese attack India. The Pactists emerge victorious, and much of the UK's colonial empire is carved up by the victors. The post-war world is divided between the American-led Concord of Free States, the Eurasian-led Workers' International and the French-led Fascist bloc.
Currently the world is in a three way Cold War; with the French-led Fascist bloc led by an aging Louis Bonaparte VI, The Commintern led by the Bolshevik controlled Soviet Union, and the League of Freedom led by the United States under the leadership of George HW Bush.
League of Freedom (Major Members)
- United States & Monroe Doctrine Allies
- Confederate States
- United Kingdom & Commonwealth
- Japanese Empire & Allies
- Brazilian Republic
Commintern (Major Members)
- Soviet Union and "Allies"
- People's Republic of India
- Chinese Socialist Republic
Fascist Bloc (Major Members)
- French Empire & "Allies"
- Italian Empire & "Allies"
- Republic of China
Scenario: The Belgian government during the Belgian revolution is unable to call on the French government to help them, whereas in OTL, they were. So after the revolution is defeated, Flanders goes to the Netherlands and Wallonia is given to France. After this, the Dutch government decides to focus and expand in Africa, while also expanding and monopolizing the East Indies in South Asia. The Netherlands is able colonize South Africa and the Congo during this time. After many trade issues and the Congo Crisis throughout the 1860's, the Netherlands get into a 14 year war with the Portuguese, with the end result with a Dutch victory in the war. The Netherlands is able to gain large amounts of ports and islands in Asia. In 1914 large regional conflicts arise in the Balkans and Middle East, leading to the end of the Austrian-Hungarian empire and creation to states such as Saudi Arabia and Yugoslavia. In the same year issues do arise between France and Germany, but war is called off as the French had easily fortified the Alsace-Wallonian border with Germany. However, in 1917 Germany invades Russia, taking advantage of the current Russian Civil War at the time. After victory was declared, a coalition of nations arise to defeat this Communist threat. After six long years of war, they do, and Russia elects a radical nationalist government into power.
¡Viva el Imperio! (JoshTheRoman)Edit
Scenario: The eight month siege of Granada began in April, 1491. As the last stand of Muslims on the Iberian peninsula neared an end, so the rise of the Spanish Empire sparked with the conquest of Granada. With the conquest of Granada showed Christianity triumphant. Taking their divine duty even further, the zealous Catholic monarchs of Iberia, including Portugal, had their troops cross Gibraltar. Having just finished the glorious reconquista, Spain’s ranks were filled with veterans. After the Siege of Fes and the end of the Wattassids, with the help of Portugal, the Spanish were swiftly able to conquer the rest of North Africa, making their way to Tunis. Not far from the conquests, a man named Christopher Columbus would approach the Spanish crown, convincing them to endorse his journey across the sea in order to find another route to Indonesia.
In a century, Spain’s American colonies are thriving, North Africa is still recovering from the massive Ottoman Invasion of 1581. With the Personal Union of Portugal and Spain, the Iberian Union becomes ruler of the Americas. In 1593, The Spanish Invasion of Benin and the true colonization of Africa begins. Under Spanish rule, Portugal is given extraordinary rights as a country, getting a Portuguese governor instead of a Castilian. With the Portuguese taking over the Empire’s colonization of the Americas, the Spanish establishing claims over Italy, and crusading in the Holy Land, even managing to take Constantinople and the Aegean Sea back from the Ottomans, allowing for the Mamluks to ally with the Spanish and expand Southward. Into the 1600’s, When the French and the English arrive on the colonization scene, the Spanish originally endorsed the English, but with the aggressive English settlers and claims in the Americas, the Spanish eventually began to support the French, even selling the Louisiana Territory to them.
Carolingian Glory (TechnicallyIAmSean)Edit
Scenario: The PoD is in 870, when Charles the Fat’s son is born. When his epilepsy started causing more problems he abdicated the throne, and while his son was not yet fit to rule, he was in 885 (God knows how the empire was kept together that time, but it was). His son was ambitious and had an imperialistic view on diplomacy (this view was later dropped). His Carolingian Empire, although with many ups-and-downs, lived on toward the modern age (mainly due to forming many alliances), even to the point of the map (1990). It fought in WWI and WWII but came out stronger than before, unlike some other nations. It currently has the biggest economy on the planet. It’s the ‘’leading nation’’ in the European Union and GWWTO (Greater Western World Treaty Organization), and is a member of the WDA (World Defence Alliance) security council, alongside the UK, American Union, Japan and India.
The massive colonial empires that Carolingia, the UK and Portugal (yes, that’s Portugal) had led to them being able to shape up parts of the world to their will. The prime example of this is Africa, where the three nations merged their colonies into larger nations (South African Union, Congo). Ethiopia and Egypt are the only two ‘’original’’ African nations, as they were never colonies.
The Americas were colonized by Carolingia, UK, Portugal and Naples. The USA was the first of the nations to go free, but as the UK was allied to Carolingia, any future attempts at expansion by them were foiled by Carolingian America, now called the American Union (Teal). The Incas have relatively prominent numbers in the Peruvian Republic, as they received good care from the Carolingian-Portuguese Dual Rule when it was still a colony. There are less Mayans and Aztecs, especially the Aztecs which have very small numbers. Guyana is still under control of Carolingia. Patagonia and Brazil have had a few wars, leading to the economic collapse of the Uruguay region, which is currently under control of Argentina.
Asia holds the giant Japanese Empire, which gained many of its territories during WWII after its heavy involvement against Russia. It released Korea as an independent state in 1986. The British colonies of Australia and New Zealand, after being granted independence, merged after referenda. China is a democratic republic, after fighting a 16-year civil war from 1952-1968. India was originally divided in two states (former colonies of Britain and Carolingia), who refused to peacefully unite. After a few wars, the formerly Carolingian India collapsed and was annexed by the India we know today. During WWII the Turks genocided both the Arabs and the Kurds, leading to the creation of Arabia and Kurdistan and the Partition of Turkey. Arabia has very close relations with Turkmenia, and while both of those nations have shown interest in union, Persia separates them, which has led to several wars, the most recent one in 1987.
The Carolingian Empire has influenced the geography of Europe in very large ways. The massive empire crushed Spain in 1453, allowing Portugal to absorb the peninsula. It invaded and annexed Northern Italy, but did not go further south due to their alliance with Naples. It crushed the Ottoman Empire and the Russian Empire, and created buffer states between them and those countries (Greece, Lithuania, Serbia, Romania), which started as neutral but joined the EU. Its involvement in world history was great beyond comparison, and the only time the empire has been humiliated was during its wars with Brittany, which were both lost. Nowadays it recognizes Brittany as a sovereign state and is aligned to it by GWWTO. The Empire truly is, a superpower.
The world in the mid-20th century:
- 1805: Napoleon invades Spain.
- 1806: King Ferdinand VII of Spain flees to Mexico. Napoleon proclaims his brother a king of Spain, but he is not recognized in most Spanish colonies.
- 1812: Napoleon invades England; the United States invade Canada. Both invasions ultimately fail.
- 1814-1816: Revolution in Spanish America. The king is arrested. The colonies proclaim themselves republics and form the Iberoamerican Federation.
- 1818: Napoleon's Empire is defeated by Britain, Prussia, and Russia.
- 1820: Napoleon is defeated again. Britain proclaims its own puppet a king of Spain.
- 1820: Crisis in the Iberoamerican Federation, the members become de facto independent. Mexico menages secure control over the Philippines. The Antilles return to the Kingdom of Spain.
- 1825: Napoleon's Empire is defeated again.
- 1827: The first Mexican colony in Australia (it's being settled mostly from the Philippines). Later a colony is established in Fernandina (OTL New Zealand).
- 1830-1832: The Austrian war.
- 1820-1830s: Mass emigration of the Europeans to the American states.
- 1836: Napoleon is defeated again. This time for sure.
- 1840: Napoleon goes missing. All previous events become known as "the Fifty Years' War". Its results: established united kingdoms in Germany and Italy; the Austrian Empire broken apart. Peace finally comes to Europe.
- 1858-1861: Civil war in the North American United States. Mexico takes few remaining Confederate states under protection.
- 1860s: Napoleon is rumored to be engaged in clan wars in Mongolia.
- 1870: Mexico purchases Alaska from Russia.
- 1880s: The Spanish Civil War. The country suffers interventions from France, Britain and Germany, who support different Spanish factions. In which Spain loses all its colonies. Mexico takes the Antilles under its control.
- 1898: Mexico annexes Hawaii.
- 1911-1914: the Great War between Britain/France/Turkey and Mexico/Russia/Germany. France and Turkey are defeated and lose many possessions. The League of Nations is established.
- 1920s-1930s: Japan's expansion into China and the Pacific is interrupted by the alliance of Mexico, Russia, and China. Japan is forced to give up all its possessions.
- 1942-1952: The Space Race. the Mexican astronauts reach the Moon. It's claimed they found there a bust of Napoleon.
A Clan from Ancient Japan -SeigaEdit
In this timeline, Mononobe no Moriya manages to defeat Soga no Umako and his clan in the Battle at Mount Shigi in 587. With that, the Mononobe Clan went on to take over and rule Japan, along with outlawing Buddhism. In 620, Japan begins moving Northward, fighting against the Ainu and managing to take Hokkaido by 640. In 710, Japan had expanded far into OTL Kamchatka and other portions of the OTL Far Eastern Federal District and soon sailed into OTL Alaska, colonising it. In India, the Chalukya dynasty had managed to conquer the other kingdoms within the subcontinent. Around the 800s, the Vikings had managed to invade and conquer the British Isles.
Later, in the 1270s, the Mongols had managed to expand far into Europe, taking Scandinavia and expanding as far up to the Netherlands and the Rhineland, and saw some stalemates when they tried to go farther. Once the Mongols attempted to invade Japan, the ruling Mononobe clan decided to declare war on them, and had not only managed to repel their attack, but also managed to take Korea and portions of Siberia. By 1289, the Chinese had managed to overthrow the Mongol rulers and signed a peace treaty with Japan, and China managed to consolidate most of the former Mongol Empire's holdings, except for Persia. Sinicisation also followed in Chinese-held areas, though some autonomy was kept.
By the 1350s, most of the Americas fell under the control of Japan, while the Norse managed to gain portions of the Northeast part of North America. OTL Australia and New Zealand also fell under the control of Japan, along with the small Pacific Islands and portions of the Philippines. In 1370, Portugal and Spain had unified under a Personal Union, and was renamed Iberia.
Later, in the 1800s, Napoleon had took over France, and attempted to unite the free nations in Europe under his rule. This didn't go as planned, and after several years of fighting Iberia, Italy, and the Norse Empire, a peace treaty was signed and Napoleon was forced to step down.
In the 1860s, a major war had broken out between the East (China, Japan, Ottomans) and the West (Norse, France, Italy, and Iberia) after much tensions and conflicts. That was lasted for ten years with a major loss for the Western powers and a return to status quo ante bellum.
In modern day, Japan and China are both hyperpowers. Buddhism, Hinduism, Taoism, and Shinto are the major religions in the world. Technology is 100 years more advanced than OTL.
The main characters of the Touhou Project are Reimu Hakurei and Seiga Kaku, and Mononobe no Futo.
Voting will be opened until the 27th. You may not vote for yourself.
- The People's Union (Upvoteanthology)
- United Scandinavian Kingdom (Vatonica)
- The Stronk and the Ludicrous (Scrawland Scribblescratch)
- Bolsheviks, Bonapartes, and Bushes (LightningLynx89)
- SatWank™ (Saturn120)
- ¡Viva el Imperio! (JoshTheRoman)
- Carolingian Glory (TechnicallyIAmSean)
- -Seiga 2015 April 20, 05:46 (CET)
- Mejeada! (Hellerick)
- A Clan from Ancient Japan -Seiga
- PMIII Crossover - An alternate history within an alternate history--an alternate history occurring within the PMIII map game. —Bfoxius (talk)
- Last time we tried that, no one participated.
- Yeah, seriously. ^^^. PMIII crossovers are not good ideas because A.) it's going to be hard to ponder and theorize how the rest of PM3 will go, and people will lose interest and B.) in-game rivalries and politics seep into the contest. Cookiedamage (talk) 18:46, April 6, 2015 (UTC)
- Modern Election - Create an electoral map of any country after the results of an election are released. This election can be a general election (president, prime minister) or a congressional/parliamentary mid-term election. You may use any country you want, so if you want to draw up a map of alternate Turkey, Afghanistan or Mexico, that's perfectly fine. I also encourage you all to depict different politicians, parties and ideologies when drawing up the map. EDIT: The only provision is that it has to be modern - preferably in the 2005 - 2015 range, but I'd also think it'd be very interesting to depict maps as far back as 1945. Cookiedamage (talk)
- War Map - Create a scenario for a war between two or more countries and include maps of territory changes, specific battles, major offensives, battle locations, etc. Vatonica (talk) 02:09, April 8, 2015 (UTC)
- Prussian-Austrian War - Make a map of a post-Austrian victory at the Battle of Köngingratz, and how the world would butterfly after. Saturn120 12:35, April 10, 2015 (UTC)
- Post WWII - Pick a POD happening from 1939-1945. Make a map of how the world would be different today, especially focusing on the cold war.
- Long Lost Brothers - Select a minor power nation, select TWO PODs; one from the Antiquity and another from the past 100 years, wank that country to its greatest extent. -