Luxembourg (pronounced /ˈlʌksəmbɜrɡ/), officially the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg (Luxembourgish: Groussherzogtum Lëtzebuerg, French: Grand-Duché de Luxembourg, German: Großherzogtum Luxemburg), is a small, landlocked country in western Europe, bordered by Belgium, France, and Germany. Luxembourg has a population of under half a million people in an area of approximately 2,586 sq km (999 sq mi).
Luxembourg is a parliamentary representative democracy with a constitutional monarch; it is ruled by a Grand Duke. It is the world's only remaining sovereign Grand Duchy. The country has a highly developed economy, with the highest Gross Domestic Product per capita in the world as per IMF and WB. Its historic and strategic importance dates back to its founding as a Roman era fortress site and Frankish count's castle site in the Early Middle Ages. It was an important bastion along the Spanish road when Spain was the principal European power influencing the whole western hemisphere and beyond in the 16th–17th centuries.
Luxembourg is a founding member of the European Union, NATO, OECD, the United Nations, Benelux, and the Western European Union, reflecting the political consensus in favour of economic, political, and military integration. The city of Luxembourg, the capital and largest city, is the seat of several institutions and agencies of the European Union.
Luxembourg lies on the cultural divide between Romance Europe and Germanic Europe, borrowing customs from each of the distinct traditions. Luxembourg is a trilingual country; German, French and Luxembourgish are official languages. Although a secular state, Luxembourg is predominantly Roman Catholic.
Alternate versions of Luxembourg have been discovered in the multiverse:
- Grand Duchy of Luxembourg (1983: Doomsday)
- Grand Duchy of Luxembourg (Bye Bye Belgium)
- Grand Duchy of Luxembourg (Cold Phoney War)
- Grand Duchy of Luxemburg (Henry II Dies In 1100)
- Kingdom of Belgium and Luxembourg (Samsu)
- Luxemburg (Chaos)
- Luxembourg (Scotland says "Yes")
- People's Republic of Luxembourg (Dai-tō-a)
- Sultanate of Luxombergha (Pure Arabica)
- United Kingdom of the Netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourg (Here we go again)
- United Kingdom of the Netherlands (The Kalmar Union)
Alternate versions of Luxembourg have also been discovered to belong to different nations:
- Anglo-Iberian Empire (Anglo-Iberia)
- Benelux (Reoccupied France)
- Confederation of the Rhine (Toyotomi)