The President of the Confederate States is the head of state and the head of government of the Confederate States. As chief of the executive branch and head of the federal government as a whole, the presidency is the highest political office in the Confederacy by influence and recognition. The president is also the Commander-in-Chief of the C.S. armed forces. The president is indirectly elected to a six-year term by an Electoral College.
According to the Confederate States Constitution, The President is to be:
- chosen by an electoral college from each state in the Confederacy. Each state is granted as many electors as they have members in the Confederate Congress (senators and representatives).
- elected jointly with a Vice Presidential running mate (but the President and VP can not be citizens of the same state)
- either a born citizen of the Confederacy or a citizen of the United States born prior to December 20, 1860 and to have "been fourteen years a resident within the limits of the Confederate States, as they may exist at the time of his election."
- at least thirty-five years of age
There are a few key differences between the Confederate President and the United States President:
- Unlike the United States, which allowed for indefinite re-election (until the passage of the Twenty-second Amendment to the United States Constitution in 1951) of both the President and Vice President after a four-year term, the Confederacy limits both offices to only one six-year term.
|No.||President||Took office||Left office||Party||Vice President||Term|
|1||Jefferson Davis||February 22, 1862||February 21, 1868||No Party||Alexander Stephens||1|
|2||John C. Breckinridge||February 22, 1868||February 21, 1874||Democratic||John H. Reagan||2|
|3||John H. Reagan||February 22, 1874||February 21, 1880||Democratic||Wade Hampton III||3|
|4||Jabez Curry||February 22, 1880||February 21, 1886||Confederalist||James Longstreet||4|
|5||James Longstreet||February 22, 1886||February 21, 1892||Confederalist||Fitzhugh Lee||5|
|6||Fitzhugh Lee||February 22, 1892||February 21, 1898||Confederalist||Augustus H. Garland||6|
|7||Clifton R. Breckinridge||February 22, 1898||February 21, 1904||Democratic||Donelson Caffery||7|
|8||Furnifold Simmons||February 22, 1904||February 21, 1910||Confederalist||John H. Bankhead||8|
|9||Woodrow Wilson||February 22, 1910||February 21, 1916||Democratic||Napoleon Bonaparte Broward||9|
|10||Champ Clark||February 22, 1916||March 2, 1921 D||Confederalist||Carter Glass||10|
|11||Carter Glass||March 2, 1921||February 21, 1928||Confederalist||vacant|
|Ellison D. Smith||11|
|12||Joseph T. Robinson||February 22, 1928||February 21, 1934||Democratic||Pat Harrison||12|
|13||John N. Garner||February 22, 1934||February 21, 1940||Confederalist||Harry F. Byrd||13|
|14||James F. Byrnes||February 22, 1940||February 21, 1946||Democratic||Harry S. Truman||14|
|15||Harry S. Truman||February 22, 1946||February 21, 1952||Democratic||Alben W. Barkley||15|
|16||100px||Strom Thurmond||February 22, 1952||February 21, 1958||Confederalist||Fielding WrightD||16|
|17||Dwight Eisenhower||February 22, 1958||February 21, 1964||Democratic||Lyndon B. Johnson||17|
|18||100px||Lyndon B. Johnson||February 22, 1964||February 21, 1970||Democratic||Russell B. Long||18|
|19||100px||George C. Wallace||February 22, 1970||February 21, 1976||Confederalist||A.B. "Happy" Chandler||19|
|20||Jimmy Carter||February 22, 1976||February 21, 1982||Democratic||Mo Udall||20|
|21||John B. Connally||February 22, 1982||February 21, 1988||Confederalist||Howard H. Baker||21|
|22||Howard H. Baker||February 22, 1988||February 21, 1994||Confederalist||James B. Edwards||22|
|23||Bill Clinton||February 22, 1994||February 21, 2000||Democratic||Al Gore||23|
|24||John McCain||February 22, 2000||February 21, 2006||Confederalist||Fred Thompson||24|
|25||John Edwards||February 22, 2006||January 4, 2010R||Democratic||Bill Richardson||25|
|26||Bill Richardson||January 4, 2010||February 22, 2012||Democratic||Jim Webb||26|
|27||Rick Perry||February 22, 2012||February 22, 2018||Confederalist||Mike Huckabee||27|
|28||Mike Huckabee||February 22, 2018||Incumbent||Confederalist||Pat McCroy||28|
- D Died in office of natural causes.
- R Resigned.