Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Emperor-King of the Federal State of Austria-Hungary, is Head of State and is hereditary on the House of Habsburg-Lorraine. The Emperor-King is the symbol of the state and represents the national unity of the Federal State and the people who integrated it.
Emperor-Kings of the Federal State of Austria-Hungary
- His Imperial and Royal Majesty, (name of Emperor-King), by the grace of God, the will of the People and the Constitutional Laws, Emperor of Austria, Apostolic King of Hungary, King of Bohemia, King of Dalmatia, Croatia and Slavonia, King of Galicia and Lodomeria, King of Carniola and Illyria, King of Bosnia and Herzegovina, Grand Prince of Transylvania, Margrave of Moravia, Duke of the Upper and Lower Silesia, Princely Count of Tyrol, Lord of Trieste and Istria, and Grand Voivode of the Voivodship of Serbia.
Manner of address
- reference: His Imperial and Royal Apostolic Majesty
- spoken: Your Imperial and Royal Apostolic Majesty
- alternative: My Lord
All federal laws must have his signature to be promulgated. He appoints and dismisses the Federal Government on advice of the Federal Chancellor or the Federal Parliament. Justice in all courts is given in his name and has the power of royal pardon. Names and dismisses the state governors on advice of the federal or state government. Is the Commander-in-Chief of all land, sea and air force, exercised with the advice of the Federal Minister of Defense. In case the Emperor-King is incapacitated to fulfill his tasks or his successor (heir apparent) is a minor, the Federal Parliament will appoint a Regency has specified by the law.
The Emperor-King confers titles of nobility and orders of chivalry, controls and gives out the medals and decorations of the honors system.
Legal framework of the Imperial and House of Habsburg-Lorraine
The Imperial Austrian Family Statute is a statute in Austrian-Hungarian law that governs the line of imperial succession, the membership of the imperial family, and several other matters pertaining to the administration and family affairs of the Imperial Household and the House of Habsburg-Lorraine.
An Imperial decree of 1924 created the Imperial Household Council to approve, manage and consult on the statutory matters of the Imperial Family and House of Habsburg-Lorraine. The Council is integrated by the Emperor-King, representatives of the Archdukes and Archduchess, the Imperial Chamberlain, the Lord-Keeper of the Seal, the Grand Counselor of the Council of Imperial and Royal Orders, and the Federal Chancellor. Its President is the Emperor-King, in case of absence or death it is the oldest Archdukes and Archduchess or other member designated by the Archdukes and Archduchess, that also acts as vicepresident of the Council. The roles assigned to the Council are:
- Approval of marriage of any male and female member of the House of Habsburg-Lorraine. For members of the Imperial Family the Council receives and certificates official approval given out by the Emperor-King.
- Forfeiture, removal and suspension of the Imperial status of any member of the Imperial Family and House of Habsburg-Lorraine.
- Acknowledge renunciation of titles of Archdukes and Archduchess and/or membership in the House of Habsburg-Lorraine.
- Changing of the order of succession of an heir who suffers from incurable disease or incapacitating handicap. It also applies to all the members of the House of Habsburg-Lorraine in relation to their titles.
- temporary Imperial Regency (until the assembly, decision, and vote of the Federal Parliament)
The Imperial and Royal Household Agency is a government agency of Austria-Hungary that is in charge of the state matters concerning imperial family and also keeping the Privy Seal and the State Seal. It depends directly of the Emperor-King. The Agency administers the assets, states, finances and pensions of the House of Habsburg-Lorraine and the services and assets of the Imperial family and household
The Council of Imperial and Royal Orders. It is in charge of the administration and register of orders of chivalry, medals and decorations of the honors system, and registrar of the titles of nobility. See nobility and orders of Austria-Hungary for more details.