Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
"How the Mighty Fall" is a solo timeline that explores what would happen if FDR died on that fateful day of February 15, 1933 during the Great Depression causing the American economy and the rest of the Capitalist world' to fall. The old and mighty will fight and fall, though the new shall stand tall in this new world.
On February 15, 1933 President- Elect Franklin D Roosevelt was making a speech near Bayfront Park in Miami, Florida. During the speech an Italian named, Giuseppe Zangara, fired five shots at FDR but couldn't get a view and so fired wildly at him. 5 people were injured/dead including Anton Cermak, Chicago Mayor. However what if one of these wild shots hit FDR and led to the Presidency falling to Vice-President John Nance Garner . Without FDR, it was unlikely that the New Deal which arguably helped US recovery would have been enacted. Along with other changed policies, it is likely that the economy of the US would've been destroyed beyond recognition leading to a longer more devastating Great Depression.
Notice- I am aware that this is highly similar to the "No FDR" 's POD however I did not know this until it was too late and am planning to lead a different path from "No FDR"'.'
The death of FDR would on that fateful day of February the 13th, 1933 would have an immense impact on the civilised world which will reverberate through time.
- John Nance Garner, FDR's vice president during 1933–41, would instead become the President of the United States. This will effect the timeline as he was a conservative and disapproved of the this vital policy not being enacted due to his resistance.
- Without the social reform, and public works created by the New Deal, it is arguable that the American economy wouldn't have recovered due to the lack of economic stimuli created by the public works program and the reforms.
- American economy would stagnate and fail perhaps leading to secession by several unsatisfied states.
- America's failing economy pulls down the rest of the capitalist world, such as the British Empire, Weimar Republic (Germany) etc.
- FDR was strongly against the Smoot-Hawley Tariff Act of 1930 and ended it in 1934. This tariff was responsible for raising US tariffs on over 20,000 imported goods to record levels. This also caused retaliation from its trade partners significantly worsening the effects of the Depression on both sides. Without FDR, it is possible that support against this tariff would evaporate due to lack of his strong leadership, and Garner's conservatism. This would lead to tit-for-tat retaliations between the US and its partners grinding both their economies into dust.
- The Soviet Union was minimally effected by the Great Depression, and in this timeline have more power over the weakened capitalist nations.
- Fascist countries such as Germany, Italy, and Japan would be able to recover faster making them more powerful in this ATL.
- Rise of Fascism and Communism due to the decreased confidence in capitalism due to worsened Great Depression.