Hetalia: Cold War (ヘタリア コールド戦争 Hetaria Kōrudo Sensō) is a Japanese comic, later adapted as a manga and an anime series, by Hidekazu Himaruya (日丸屋秀和, Himaruya Hidekazu?). The series presents an allegorical interpretation of political and historic events, particularly relating to the Pacific War, mid-20th century and the early Cold War, in which the various countries are represented by anthropomorphic characters. Hetalia (ヘタリア?) is a portmanteau combining hetare (ヘタレ?, Japanese for "incompetent") and Italia (イタリア?).
- France (Franscis Bonnefoy) - France has shoulder-length blond hair and blue eyes, and has a slight amount of facial hair which he believes makes him look like a "big brother" (it is said to represent the Gorges du Tarn, or Tarn Gorges) that he'd been growing since the late 18th century. He wears a long blue coat and matching capelet, with red pants and brown boots. He is often depicted with a rose, which is also used to censor his genitals in his nude scenes. He is shown to be excessively perverted, and has shown no limits to whom he is attracted (male or female). He, however, has shown a more commanding side to his personality, as he has proven to be capable of controlling even the unruly Denmark with just a single word.
- East Prussia (Gilbert Beilschmidt) - East Prussia has short white hair, red eyes and somewhat pale skin. He will do anything to become strong, and has an arrogant attitude, believing that he is the best and still more "awesome" than others, although he hasn't really succeeded at his goal. At times he is unaware of his lower position relative to France, and others he is more reserved but no less obnoxious. There have been skits of him playing pranks with France and Spain on America and his allies.
- Spain (Antonio Carriedo) - He has somewhat curly brown hair, green eyes, lightly tanned skin, and wears a khaki-colored uniform with his sleeves rolled up to his elbow. A cheerful country bumpkin, Spain was once a super powerful nation and traveler until he was tormented by England and Netherlands, beaten by a younger America, and thrown into war and poverty. Despite all his hardships, he remained optimistic and passionate. The source of his constant happiness is the sunshine that casts over his land. He has a pleasant relationship with his neighbor, Portugal.
- Denmark (Sven Hareland) - Denmark has short, wild blond hair and blue eyes. He wears a long black coat with red cuffs, a red shirt and black tie, red pants, and brown boots, as well as a small black hat. He is the second tallest of the five Nordics and is often shown carrying around a large axe in artwork.
- Italy (Alice Romano) - Italy has short brown hair and brown eyes, with a curl on the left side of her head, which acts as her erogenous zone when stroked or pulled. She wears a blue military uniform, a black shirt and tie, and black boots. Italy is a cheerful, energetic woman, who is very dangerous when angered (which doesn't happen often) . Though she is commonly depicted as being lazy she can be very clever when she needs to be. His ideas are usually brilliant ways to save time doing tasks she finds unpleasant, so that she can get back to things she loves to do (singing, cooking, and painting). Though she is usually useless in a fight, her cleverness and ability to get stronger when angry have gotten her out of some pretty dire situations.
- Ireland (Hannah McKenna) - Ireland has shoulder-length curly red hair, which she covers with a traditional Irish Walking Hat. She has been seen in a military uniform as well as civilian dress, though she usually wears her Walking Hat. She has a fiercely independent personality, and will fight pretty much anyone at the drop of a hat. She has a bit of a drinking problem, which only exacerbates her anger problems.
- French Canada (Matthieu Bonnefoy) - Canada has long blonde hair with a long curly ahoge, and violet eyes. He is never seen without his pet polar bear Kumajiro, though neither remembers the other's name. He typically acts like his big brother France, although he is known to affect a timid and kindly personality in order to get girls. He has (mostly) never failed, a fact that either makes France proud or jealous depending on the situation.
- Persia (Amir Shirazi) -
- Mali (Alile Bomani) -
- Haiti (Jameau Francois) -
- Bahamas (Desirae Sinclaire) -
- America (Alfred E. Jones) -
- Portugal (Joao Berias) - Portugal has short brown hair with an ahoge. He is a well-mannered, good-intentioned airhead who repeatedly screws up due to clumsiness. The only time he was able to complete a task perfectly was to announce his intentions to fail it, proving that he can even fail at failing.He has had a long-standing friendship with England, which has been only considerably interrupted during its participation in the Iberian Union with Spain. He has an extremely unpleasant relationship with Spain, and has been known to fight with him at the drop of a hat.
- Colombia (Fransisca Hernandez) - Colombia has medium-length curly black hair, and always wears a bandana.
- England (Arthur Kirkland) -
- Alaska (Anastasiya "Anya" Braginsky) - Alaska has medium-length straight blonde hair which she holds back with a headband and clips. Alaska has a sweet and bubbly personality, though is quite fearsome when enraged. Alaska can be prone to crying fits at times, though is thankfully more balanced when her temper is concerned. Anya's typical dress consist of an Alaskan army uniform and a tan scarf given to her by her father Russia during one of her visits. She has also been seen in various forms of civilian clothing, though she is never seen without he precious scarf. She has a bit of a love/hate relationship with America, similar to that of his relationship with England before America's intervention in the Anarchy.
- Turkey (Selim Edcep) - Turkey is rather tall and olive-skinned, with a slight stubble on his chin (much like France). He wears a long green (sometimes tan) coat, brown pants, knee-high boots, a tan scarf, and a red fez hat. His face is usually obscured by a white mask. Like Greece, he has a double hair-curl, but it rests down by his neck. Turkey is described as being a lively and excessively vigorous old man (though his exact age has never been revealed, he is one of the visibly physically older nations in the cast). He is usually merry and friendly, yet it is said that he is ready to compete anytime with anyone (especially Persia) about even the smallest things due to his somewhat stubborn nature. He can also be nosy from time to time. Turkey is too much of a show off; it is mentioned that he is always seeking for new things and fashion, and always stays in style. He loves to entertain tourists, and is quite a gourmet who enjoys eating various things every day.
- Egypt (Muhammad Hassan)-
- Oceania (Elizabeth "Lizzie" Kirkland) - Oceania has her brother's blonde hair and distinctive eyebrows. She has her hair done in a pair of long straight pigtails. She is fiercely independent and headstrong, but is quite naive in personality. She loves her brother England, and constantly tries to get him to return the affection, though it seems to only annoy him. She became friends with Japan following the Pacific War.
- Syria (Sahar Issa) -
- Chile (Juan José Larraín) -
- Scotland (Anthony Wallace) - A tall man with shoulder-length curly red hair, Scotland has a more lighthearted (but still sarcastic) personality than England. He is always seen dressed in a suit with a Balmoral cap and a kilt with the national tartan of Scotland. Ever since the Connery regime was toppled he has been seen acting eccentrically, which is attributed to mental strain under the oppression of that dictatorship.
- Siberia (Nikolai Braginsky) - Siberia has short silver hair with an ahoge similar to America's, and is almost always seen in a long navy blue fur-lined coat. He is a rather grim man, and is never seen without a small frown on his face. Nikolai has gotten into several fights with Anya (Alaska) on who is the legitimate successor to their father Russia, and has shown his unstable side by threatening Anya with a knife at least once. He was once a stumbling drunk, but a short visit by Russia made Nikolai determined enough to reign in his drinking habit. He has proven that, despite their differences, he actually cares for his younger sister Alaska. He has repeatedly protected her from Canada's perverted sexual advances, and has put Canada in the hospital after a particularly nasty episode.
- Afghanistan (Ara Azizi) -
- Ceylon ( ) -
- Switzerland (Basch Zwingli) -
- Peru (Jorge Hernandez) -
- Japan (Kiku Honda) -
- Caribbean Confederation (Malorie Rouge) -
- Mysore ( ) -
- Central America (Lucia Espinoza) - Central America has long black hair done in a style resembling Hungary's. She was once married to Mexico, but left him when he became too demanding. Since then they have had some affection for one another, but not enough to remarry.
- Burma ( ) -
- New Germany (Monika Beilschmidt) - New Germany has shoulder-length blonde hair in a rather spartan hairstyle. New Germany has completely refused to talk to France, knowing his perverted nature. Her only contact with the CIC is through her father Prussia. She has a intensive need to keep everything around her neat and tidy much like her uncle, the Confederation of the Rhrine. She would rather deal with the childish America than the perverted France, and only deals with the CIC because of her relationship with her beloved father Prussia. Her resentment towards France not only stems from his perverted nature, but by his unfair treatment of his former "allies" the CR (Confederation of the Rhrine) and the Grand Duchy of Warsaw.
- Zululand ( ) -
- Camenbal ( ) -
- Boer Republic ( ) -
- East Kongo ( ) -
- Ethiopia ( ) -
- Nubia ( ) -
- Tibet -
- Nepal ( ) -
- Paraguay (Carlos Hernandez) - Carlos is much shorter than his South American brothers. His hair is of a very dark brown rather than black. He has a extremely calm, laid back personality and is commonly seen taking a siesta.
- Zion Free State (David Cohen) -
- Mexico (Eduardo Hernandez) - Mexico has his older brother Spain's dark brown hair. However, he wears facial hair, unlike his brother. He has taken to dressing like Austria, as his fashion sense has been influenced by the former German state. Though he is officially neutral in the on-going Franco-American cold war, he and America are close friends. America and Mexico have gone out drinking together a few times. He can hold his liquor better than America, but America doesn't know this. He typically fakes being drunk early so that he doesn't hurt America's feelings. He regularly gets visited by his mother, the Aztec Empire. Though these surprise visits commonly iritate him, he is still rather fond of his loving mother.
- Argentina (Diego Carriedo) -
- Brazil (Pedro Berias) -
- Jamaica (Franklyn Gladstone) -
- Hawai'i (Lopa Ta'ufualani) - Hawaii has long cool brown hair, in which she wears multiple hibiscus flowers. She wears a hibiscus lei, an aloha shirt and Hula grass skirt. She is very free-spirited, and is a party animal.
- China (Yao Wang) -
- Korea (Im Yong Soo) - Korea has short black-brown hair, with a flyaway curl on the right side of his head. Korea is a free-spirited type, obsessed with video games, dramas, studying abroad, and the internet. He has an odd tendency to claim inventions and concepts as having "originated in Korea", even when it is clearly not the case.
- Gangestan ( ) -
- Bengal ( ) -
- Siam ( ) -
- Vietnam (Han Thị Nguyễn) - Vietnam has black hair in a ponytail, though it is commonly hidden by a Nón lá (conical straw hat). In all of her appearances she wears a green Áo Dài (traditional Vietnamese dress). She is usually depicted holding a rice paddle, which she uses as a weapon. Most of her encounters with France have him making some faux pas that gets him whacked with it.
- Cambodia (Chanlina Sihanouk) -
- Nigeria ( ) -
- South Africa ( ) -
- West Kongo ( ) -
- Zanzibar ( ) -
- Arabia (Fatimah Bint Mohammed) -
- Cyrene (Feliciana Somaya) -
- Yemen ( ) -
- Barbados (Grace Constantine) -
- Austria (Roderich Edelstein) -
- Aztec Empire (Eréndira Fernandez) -
- Russia (Ivan Braginsky) -