The 2016 Green Party leadership election is scheduled to be held in August and September 2016.
Following the party's crushing defeat in the 2015 general election, Natalie Bennett announced her resignation as party leader. Whilst a leadership election was originally planned to be held that summer it was decided to delay in until 2016 and elect an interim to serve out the remainder of Natalie Bennett's term as party leader.
Interim Leadership election
On the 22nd May the parliamentary Green Party met to elect an interim leader, the candidates were:
- Jenny Jones: Leader of the Party in the Senate and Senator for London
- Rupert Read: Member of Parliament for Norfolk
- Derek Wall: Member of Parliament for Berkshire
Results of the interim leadership election:
|Candidate||First Round||Second Round|
The election saw Jenny Jones elected as interim leader of the Parliament whilst it was agreed runner up Rupert Read would lead the party in the Legislative Assembly, owing to Jones' status as a Senator.
- Shahrar Ali: Deputy leader of the Green Party and Member of Parliament for Chelsea and Brent
- Sian Berry: Member of Parliament for Haringey and Hackney
- Molly Scott-Cato: Member of Parliament for Ceredigion, Camarthenshire and Pembrokeshire
- Amelia Womack: Deputy leader of the Green Party and Member of Parliament for Bermondsey Peckham and Greenwich
- Jonathan Bartley: Member of Parliament for Merton and Wandsworth
- Will Duckworth: Former Deputy leader of the Green Party and Member of Parliament for Dudley and West Bromwich
- Caroline Lucas: Former Party Leader and Member of Parliament for East Sussex