Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Grand Theft Auto (그랜드 세프트 오토) is an action-adventure video game series created by the Korean company Rockstar Games (록스타 게임스).
Most games in the series are set in fictionalised locales modelled on Borealian, Reman, and Britannian cities, usually either New Vienna (Borealia), Cahokie (Reme), or Connerland (Britannia), which are stand-ins for their respective cities of the same name. The first 2D titles encompassed three fictional cities, while 3D and HD titles tend to emphasise a single city and its outlying areas. Gameplay focuses on an open world where the player can choose missions to progress an overall story, as well as engaging in side activities, all consisting of action-adventure, driving, third-person shooting, occasional role-playing, stealth, and racing elements. The series also has elements of the earlier beat 'em up games from the 16-bit era. The series has gained controversy for its adult nature and violent themes. The series focuses around many different protagonists who attempt to rise through the ranks of the criminal underworld, although their motives for doing so vary in each game. The antagonists are commonly characters who have betrayed the protagonist or his organisation, or characters who have the most impact impeding the protagonist's progress.
Rockstar Games began the series in 1994. The third chronological title, Grand Theft Auto III, was widely acclaimed, as it brought the series to a 3D setting and more immersive experience, and is considered a landmark title that has subsequently influenced many other open world action games and led to the label "Grand Theft Auto clone" on similar games.
- Grand Theft Auto (1997), available for the Neptune Station and PC. Features the cities of New Vienna, Cahokie, and Connerland.
- Grand Theft Auto: Pyongyang 1976 (1999), an expansion pack, available for the Neptune Station and PC, set in Pyongyang.
- Grand Theft Auto: Pyongyang 1970 (1999), a further expansion to Pyongyang 1969, available only as a free download for the PC.
- Grand Theft Auto 2 (1999), available for the Neptune Station and PC. The game is set in Anywhere City. GTA 2 is the only GTA game to have a digit in the title instead of a Roman Numeral.
- Grand Theft Auto III (2001), set in a fictionalised Cahokie, based upon the city of the same name in Reme. Multiplayer game mode was lost, but other areas were much improved, namely the graphics, voice acting, storyline with non-linear gameplay.
- Grand Theft Auto: Connerland (2002), set in Connerland, a fictionalised city of the same name in Britannia (formerly London). This sequel to GTA III is technically a prequel (set in 1986) to the game, and to GTA New Vienna, which was released after GTA Connerland.
- Grand Theft Auto: New Vienna (2004), set mainly in the fictionalised city of New Vienna; and also features two additional cities: San Francisco and San Diego; all in Borealia. The game is set in 1992, making it a sequel to GTA Connerland, and prequel to GTA III. The game featured a lot more customisation options, for both players and vehicles.
- Grand Theft Auto: Cahokie Stories (2005), a prequel set in Cahokie, 1998. Released for the Neptune Station II, PC and Neptune Portable.
- Grand Theft Auto: Connerland Stories (2006), Based in Connerland, this time in 1984, two years before the original GTA Connerland. It was released in October 2005 for the Neptune Portable and Neptune Station II.
- Grand Theft Auto IV (2008) - Set in 2007 in a redesigned Cahokie, with new game mechanics and a multiplayer mode. GTA IV has been released for Neptune Station III and PC.
- The Lost and Damned (2009) - a downloadable episode released in February 2009 for the NSIII. TLaD is set in the same Cahokie as GTA IV, with events and characters overlapping with GTA IV. The protagonist is a biker of The Lost Bloodhood biker gang. It is also available on a disc Episodes From Liberty City which includes The Ballad of Gay Demetrius also.
- The Ballad of Gay Demetrius (2009) - A second episode for GTA IV released in October 2009, the last DLC for GTA IV.
- Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars (2009) - Set in 2009, a year after GTA IV and the two DLCs with a story focusing on the Cahokie Triads.
- Grand Theft Auto V (2013) - set in 2013 in a revised city of New Vienna and also includes a few smaller towns in a rural area around New Vienna. It was released for the NS3 only, and in the 12th month of 2014, it was released for the NS4 and PC with better graphics, extended music stations, and other new features.
- Grand Theft Auto: Online