Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
The Aquitanian Revolution of 1849 resulted, three years later, in the deposition and execution of Queen Philippa IV. Prior to her death, her relatives and allies among other European monarchies had pledged their support for her, as had many provincial towns and garrisons. Ironically, it was a Lyonnaise invasion from the north, intending to restore the queen to her throne, which provoked the National Assembly into having her killed.
As news of her death spread, outrage followed. Within weeks Spain, Lyonesse, Albion, Norway, Saxony, Milan, Naples, Africa, Bohemia and Romania had all declared war on the First Aquitanian Republic and were preparing their armies to invade.
However, by the end of 1853, Aquitaine had conscripted hundreds of thousands of men and used them to repel the first wave of invasions, as well as crushing the monarchist rebellions that had flared up all over the country. The war was set to last for a very long time indeed.
Invasion of Italy
- Romania re-emerged as a great power in Anatolia and the Balkans.
- Lithuanian dominance over all eastern Europe was confirmed, as was Saxon dominance over Germany.
- Aquitanian territorial ambitions in Europe were suppressed. Instead it focused on expanding its overseas colonial empire.
- The Albic colonial empire, by taking the colonies of many of its rivals, expanded to become the largest in the world.
- The Duchy of France was dismembered, being divided between Saxony, Lyonesse and the new states of Belgium and Holland.
- Japan abandoned isolationism.
- The idea of a nation-state republic was revived, after being almost extinct since antiquity. Many countries later abolished their monarchies and adopted a republican form of government.
- The Lyonnaise colonies of New Arvor became independent. Later, the Skraelings of the Great Plains would fight for freedom from New Arvor, with Albic assistance.
- Military technology advanced rapidly. The tank was invented, and rocketry advanced sufficiently for the principles of astronautics to be devised.