Here you will find every alternative history with a disaster point, central or not in their timeline, including naturals and human-made disasters, real event changes or completely created by the author.
Here are some disasters (in alphabetic order) you can use in your work:
- Antibiotic resistance
- Comet or other impact
- Earthquake or Megathrust earthquake
- Global warming
- Gulf Stream shutdown
- Ice Age
- Meteorite impact
- Nuclear warfare
- Nuclear accident
- Peak oil
- Technological singularity
- Tsunami or Megatsunami
- Volcano eruption or Supervolcano
- Water crisis
This is a list of Disaster based Alternative histories. Feel free to add (in alphabetic order) your own work or anything you find.
- 1983: Doomsday
- POD is one of the most dangerous moments in the 20th century: On September 26, 1983
- Stanislav Petrov is n o t the officer on duty at the Serpukhov-15 bunker near Moscow. Soviet satellites suddenly report a series of American missiles launched at the Soviet Union. The duty officer reports and Soviets launch what they think is a counter-strike of their full nuclear arsenal, leading to a massive nuclear exchange between USA, USSR and China devastating wide parts of the world..
- Now, nearly 25 years later, mankind is still fighting for survival. New coalitions and alliances have emerged from the ruins of near-total nuclear destruction and all survivors are awaiting the September 26th, 2008 League of Nations foundation ceremony which represents the first sign of a hopefully more peaceful future for mankind.
- 1989: Wipe-out
- The outbreak of Ebola virus at the Hazelton Research Products office in Reston, VA is not the type non-fatal to humans, but a near duplicate strain to Ebola Zaire, which is. Unfortunately, it also has the capacity to be airborne. Within a week, the world is infected. Within three weeks, 90% of the Earth's population lay dead.
- A World in Chaos (The Great World Wide Earthquake of 1977)
- All history seems to be the same as in our timeline up until that day in 1977, except the 1906 California Earthquake never happened, meaning that over the course of 71 years, pressure was building and building; so much so that when it ruptured in 1977 the whole world paid dearly for it!
The quake happened on April 19, 1977. The entire world was turned upside down. The Empire State building collapsed, the Hoover dam broke, It was chaos.
- Death of the old world
- Partial global Pandemic
- The world is suffering under a global flood that shows no signs of stopping.
- Great Solar Flare (2004: Doomsday)
- Near-extinction of the human race caused by fatal solar flares and solar winds.
- An asteroid smashes into the Earth, killing millions.
- London Event
- on June 30 of 1908, a meteor destroyed London and killed almost her population, the Pope said was a punishment from God and Europeans sacking London ruins and land occupation start by decreditation of German Emperor Wilhelm II. 1908-1912 almost a First World War. 1908-1917 English/British diaspora. (in OTL that meteor is "Event Tunguska" in a low populated zone of Siberia, Russia).
- The Mayan empire falls, a disease, called papatlaca, spreads throughout Central and South America.
- Plague II
- A new Plague breaks out in the late 80's affecting the whole world.
Shoemaker-Levy-9 misses Jupiter. It is, instead, hurled at Earth, and hitting in 1994, causes massive devastation.
- Sacrifice of Angel's
- A time rift opens up shortly before WW-II, and bombs from a nuclear war fall through. Later, a deadly disease ravages the globe, and is only stopped by a winter that kills many more. As a result, Hitler is killed, the US collapses into civil war and Russia is totally depopulated.
- South American World
- Following a deadly epidemic that took out most of the world, with the exception of South America, the citizens must come to terms with the new reality that surrounds them.
- The Capitol Burns
- The September 11 attacks never take place. Instead, the Al-Qaeda network chooses a bigger and more deadly target. On January 29, 2002, during George W. Bush's State of the Union address, an airliner dive-bombs into the U.S. Capitol building. 97% of the members of Congress are killed, and so are most of the cabinet, including the President and Vice President. The Presidency passes to Interior Secretary Gale Norton, who presides over the beginning of the end for American democracy.
- Yellowstone: 1936
- The world's most devastating supervolcano - the Yellowstone Caldera, erupts on the brink of World War II, shattering civilization as we know it, and drastically changing the world's look.