Irony is ironic, isn't it? Ah, how I love irony.
In case you don't get it, read the title of the page.
This is for differences that would happen as a direct effect of the POD.
- New France is much larger and included Florida, all of the OTL Mexican Cession, and parts of the Oregon Country before the United States bought large parts of it when France was going into debt.
- Lithuania was invaded by Russia in 1660 and fell by 1663.
- Poland was invaded by Russia as part of the same war in 1664 and it fell in 1667.
- Sweden was also invaded with the goal of capturing Finland in 1668, and thusly the Baltic War ended with Russian supremacy established over the Baltic and destroying its two major enemies.
- The Scanian War occured with the United Provinces switching places with France.
- In Europe, the French victory in the Seven Years' War (with more British-alled states on the French side) led to the independence of the Fifteen American colonies. However, the French installed them as a client state. The fledgling United States, together with the Republic of the Ohio, revolted against the French rule and became totally independent states. This led to the French Rebellion, which quickly escalated into a Civil War, resulting in the Kingdom of Northern France, and the Directorate of Southern France. The Directorate slowly became the Consulate and then the Empire, led by Napoleon, who led his men into Northern France, uniting France once more. Napoleon orchestrated the overthrow of the Habsburgs and the Bourbons in Castile (Castile and Portugal) and established Josephite Castile, a new Bonaparter realm. Eventually Prussia, the Holy Roman Empire (Austria), and Great Britain viewed Napoleon as a threat, and the War of the First Coalition began, with France beating all three, with the aid of Castile and Russia. The War ended with the Treaty of Amiens, and the three enemies agreeing not to war with France, Castile, or Russia in the next fifteen years. Gathering the German states and Italian states, Britain and Prussia plunged into the War of the Second Coalition three years later. Austria, France, and Russia emerged victorious. Eight more Coalition Wars occurred, the French led Coalition winning six of them and losing two.
- The Russian Empire survives to this day, and Alexei, Peter the Great's son, became the Tsar. No female ever held the throne. Poland is also part of the Empire, expanding upon OTL's Empire. Congo, Novorossiya, and Novosibir are also part of the Russian Union, made up of the Russian states and former colonies. Russia also controlled a far bigger Alaska and half of Greenland until Greenland was sold to America and Alaska led a revolution, eventually becoming conquered by the United States.
In the Americas
- The greatest number of sovereign nations on the North American continent was three from 1900 to 1904. These nations were Alyeska, the United States, and Mexico. The number went down to two after the fall of Alaska in 1904, went up to three again after Central America won independence in 1906 and back down to two after Mexico collapsed after the Fifth World War.
- The US Civil War went from bad to worse in this timeline, with it lasting from 1860 to 1867 and being comprised of 21 states: OTL's eleven, Oklahoma, Missouri, Kentucky, Rio Grande, Cuba, Hispaniola, West Florida, Franklin, Puerto Rico, and Nassau. Nearly all the ATL slave states.
- The US has 68 states. The northern states are larger. There are nine states in place of OTL Canada and the larger Alyeska also has part of it. The states are Ontario, Huron, Hudson, Quebec, Arctica, Cascadia, Acadia, Assiniboia, and Métis. Mexico OTL is divided ATL into California, Sonora, Chihuahua, Dauphin, Durango, North Mexico, South Mexico, Fierte, Aztlan, and Yucatan. The OTL contiguous US has been modified as well. West Florida is a state. Michigan Territory never included the Upper Peninsula and it would later become its own state after leaving Wisconsin as part of the Compromise of 1848. Franklin is a state, but with different boundaries. It was created when North Carolina was split. The new land became Tennessee and Franklin Territories. Montana includes the OTL part of the Louisiana Territory that was traded for the Red River Basin, as well as a majority of Wyoming.
- Presidents OTL not in ATL:
- John Quincy Adams: He went into the law practice instead of politics and the Democratic Republican party did not a four way split but was transformed into the Democratic Party, more left than center-left. Andrew Jackson would be elected in his place.
- Martin Van Buren: John C. Calhoun remained Jackson's VP. Instead he became a high ranking member of the Democratic Party and Calhoun's eventual VP.
- John Tyler: William Harrison would take Henry Clay for his Vice President. Clay would be elected to a seocnd term of his own, unlike Tyler.
- Zachary Taylor: Taylor dies in the Mexiquean-American War.
- Franklin Pierce: Lewis Cass, who replaces Taylor, is pushed up four years thanks to Clay and takes Pierce's term.
- James Buchanan: With no Democrats in office in 1856, and with no Democrats since John C. Calhoun. Buchanan saw his term afforded to be Lincoln's first term.
- Andrew Johnson: Was a Confederate ATL, and so Hannibal Hamlin remained Lincoln's VP and eventual successor.
- Ulysses S. Grant: Robert E. Lee remained on the Union's side in the Civil War. Lee took Grant's place in the war, and subsequently the President. Grant did, however, become Lee's Vice President.
- Rutherford B. Hayes: The 1876 Election did not go into dispute and Samuel J. Tilden won, as he should have in OTL.
- Without Republicans in the Presidential office, James A. Garfield is not elected, and as such Chester Alan Arthur is not President either. Their term is taken by Tilden, who himself was assassinated and the remainder of the term filled out by Thomas A. Hendricks.
- Benjamin Harrison is never President, as Grover Cleveland makes two consecutive terms.
- Without Harrison, Cleveland's second term faced not having Cleveland, and James G. Blaine was elected.
- William Howard Taft does not become President, and Robert Cottman (a fictional person) takes his place, gains two terms and excludes the first term of Woodrow Wilson.
- Woodrow Wilson is a regular Virginia lawyer ATL (and later Chief Justice of the Supreme Court), and Cottman takes his first term. Maximilian Fox, Cottman's VP, takes his second term and the first term of Warren G. Harding.
- Warren G. Harding does not become President ATL, but Calvin Coolidge does.
- Herbert Hoover does not exist
- Harry S Truman is never chosen to be Roosevelt's VP, and Sergei Ulyanov takes his place.
- Ulyanov maintains the popularity that Truman originally had, so Dwight Eisenhower lacks Presidency.
- Lyndon B. Johnson does not join the Democratic Party.
- Richard Nixon is no President since he goes in the film business.
- Gerald Ford
- Jimmy Carter
- Ronald Reagan stayed in the acting business, eventually becoming an actor in Star Wars. His place is taken by a fictional, who dies and is replaced by another fictional.
- Without Reagan, we don't have Bush, who just becomes the founder and CEO of Bush Oil and Petroleum Inc. His term is taken by John McCain.
- With no first Bush, ergo no second Bush.
- No Obama. John Edwards.
- Roman Catholicism is much larger at the expense of Protestanism, and the US has many Catholic Presidents. This is largely due to France coming to rule large portions of the globe, rather than England.
- Islam is more widespread, with the continued existence of the Mughal Empire and expansion of the Ottoman Empire. It sustains slightly larger numbers than OTL.
- Catholicism, Orthodoxism, and Protestantism dominate Christianity in that order, and there are not many other forms of Christianity lurking about.
- Sikhism is non-existent, as are minority religions such as Mormonism and the Jehovah's Witnesses.