Born out of the 2004 US election, the Democratic States of America is a liberal democracy consisting of all of the Blue States. The DSA a nation that is strictly anti-war, and has declared itself neutral in the military affairs of the world, reallocating the returning soldiers from around the world to defense against the Brushfire Wars against their much poorer cousins, the Christian Republic of America.
While the DSA claims that they are governed under the US constitution, they have made some drastic changes.
- The Democratic States of America are strictly neutral in global military affairs.
- The Democratic States of America allow any nation to trade with them freely in a fair manner.
- The President of the Democratic States can be removed from office at any time by a vote of no confidence or a recall election; and is elected to office by popular vote.
- Free and Universal healthcare is a right to all Democratic States citizens.
- Free Education is a right of birth.
- All illegal immigrants are granted full pardon and any currently residing in the US, along with any citizen shall receive amnesty upon entering the DSA.
- Any and all taxes put in place must be a across the board percentage and cannot be capped after they reach a higher level of income.
Home to the 85% of the former United States' venture capital and entrepreneurs as well as 90% of the high tech industry, including Intel and Microsoft, and two thirds of the U.S. tax revenue; the DSA is the world's richest nation, and has continued to grow economically since its separation from the Red States.
After breaking from the United States, the DSA found itself in control of 80% of the country's fresh water, 90% of pineapple and lettuce, 92% of the nation's fresh fruit, 97% America's quality wines, most of the U.S. low-sulfur coal, all living redwoods, sequoias and condors. Few would argue that the separation of the DSA from the US inevitably caused the economic collapse of the former country.
Home to all the Ivy League and Seven Sisters schools, the DSA is one of the most well educated nations in the world, and with its Universal Education Amendment; every citizen is given free education up to their fourth year of college.
The DSA is also home to many of the America's natural and historic wonders: New England, the Great Lakes, and Yosemite, the Statue of Liberty, and the Golden Gate Bridge.