Imperial Secretariat for Education
|Logo of the Imperial Secretariat for Education|
|Formed||17 October 1989 (27 years ago)|
|Preceding agencies|| Imperial Secretariat for Education and Youth Affairs|
Department for Education
|Jurisdiction||Government of Cygnia|
|Annual budget||§77.5 billion (2015-16)|
|Agency executive||Michele Bruniges, Director-General|
|Key document||Imperial Secretariat for Education and Youth Affairs Division Act|
The Cygnian Imperial Secretariat for Education (Secretariat Code: EDUC, abbr. ISE) is a Cabinet-level department of the Cygnian government. The Imperial Secretariat for Education was created by the Imperial Secretariat of Education and Youth Affairs Division Act and signed into law by Chancellor Joanne Seinfeld on 17 October 1989. It began operating on 4 May 1990.
The Imperial Secretariat for Education and Youth Affairs Division Act divided the Imperial Secretariat for Education and Youth Affairs into the Imperial Secretariat for Education and the Imperial Secretariat for Child Development and Youth Affairs. The Imperial Secretariat for Education is administered by the Imperial Secretary for Education. It has since 2008 been the third-largest Cabinet-level department, with about 40,000 employees. It has an annual budget of §77.5 billion (2015-16), and is one of the highest-funded Cabinet-level departments in Cygnia.
The first Imperial Secretariat for Education was formed in 1835 to regulate nationwide educational standards, but began its existence as a relatively minor government department.
In 1923, Chancellor Joseph Lyons announced the creation of the National Educational Standards Authority as part of his educational reform plan. NESA was charged with the responsibilities of formulating a standardised national curriculum.
In 1934 the new Hellerist government reconstituted the body as the Central Commissariat for Information and Education, which was responsible for the issuance of propaganda as well as the regulation of education. Under the Hellerist government it was the fourth-highest funded government agency in the country, behind only the military Commissariats. In 1943 under the Provisional Government the Commissariat was divided into the Secretariats for Education and Communication.
The Imperial Secretariat for Education was renamed the Imperial Secretariat for Education and Youth Affairs in 1955, when the Secretariat was charged with the additional duties of regulating all legislation regarding children and youths, including child welfare.
The modern Imperial Secretariat for Education was formed in 1989 when Chancellor Joanne Seinfeld's government divided the Imperial Secretariat for Education and Youth Affairs into the Imperial Secretariat for Education and the Imperial Secretariat for Child Development and Youth Affairs. All child welfare and non-education-related functions of the ISEYA were transferred to the new Imperial Secretariat for Child Development and Youth Affairs.
The primary functions of the Imperial Secretariat of Education are to "establish policy for, administer and coordinate most federal assistance to education, collect data on Cygnian schools, and to enforce national educational laws regarding privacy and civil rights." The Imperial Secretariat of Education is responsible for the regulation of the national curriculum (a duty discharged through the School Curriculum and Standards Authority) and the establishment of schools and colleges.
Education in Cygnia is highly centralised, and the federal government and Imperial Secretariat for Education are solely responsible in determining the curriculum and educational standards. The quality of educational institutions and their degrees is maintained through the Office of Educational Accreditation.
The Imperial Secretariat's mission is: to promote student achievement and preparation for global competitiveness by fostering educational excellence and ensuring equal access. Aligned with this mission of ensuring equal access to education, the Imperial Secretariat for Education works with federal partners to ensure proper education for homeless and runaway youth in Cygnia.
Office of the Imperial Secretary
- Office of Communications and Outreach
- Office of the General Counsel
- Office of the Inspector General
- Office for Civil Rights
- Office of Educational Technology
- Institute of Educational Sciences
- National Centre for Educational Statistics
- National Council for the Assessment of Educational Progress
- Education Resources Information Centre
- National Centre for Educational Statistics
- Office of Innovation and Improvement
- Office of the Chief Financial Officer
- Office of Management
- Office of the Chief Information Officer
- Office of the Chief Operating Officer
Office of the Minister
- Office of Legislative and Congressional Affairs
- Office of Planning, Evaluation and Policy Development
- Budget Service
- Risk Management Service
Department for Postsecondary Education
- Office of the Secretary for Postsecondary Education
- Office of Vocational and Adult Education
- Office of Federal Student Aid
- Office of Educational Accreditation
Department for Primary and Secondary Education
- Office of the Secretary for Primary and Secondary Education
- Education Facilities Regulation Authority
- School Curriculum and Standards Authority
- Office of Migrant Education
- Office of Student Safety and Welfare
- National Assessment Program
Department for Special Education and Rehabilitative Services
- Office of the Secretary for Special Education and Rehabilitative Services
- National Institute on Disability and Rehabilitation Research
- Office of Special Education Programs
- Rehabilitation Services Administration