Costa Rica, officially the Republic of Costa Rica (Spanish: Costa Rica or República de Costa Rica, pronounced [re̞ˈpuβ̞lika ð̞e̞ ˈko̞sta ˈrika]) is a country in Central America, bordered by Nicaragua to the north, Panama to the east and south, the Pacific Ocean to the west and south and the Caribbean Sea to the east.
Costa Rica, which translates literally as "Rich Coast", constitutionally abolished its army permanently in 1949. Costa Rica has consistently been among the top Latin American countries in the Human Development Index, ranking 50th in 2006. The country is ranked 5th in the world, and 1st among the Americas, in terms of the 2008 Environmental Performance Index. In 2007 the Costa Rican government announced plans for Costa Rica to become the first carbon neutral country by 2021. According to the New Economics Foundation, Costa Rica ranks first in the Happy Planet Index and is the greenest country in the world. The HPI measures how much of the Earth's resources nations use and how long and happy a life their citizens enjoy as a result.
Alternate versions of Costa Rica have been discovered in the multiverse:
- Commonwealth of Costa Rica (An Independent in 2000)
- Republic of Costa Rica (1983: Doomsday)
- Republic of Costa Rica (Greater Colombia)
- Republic of Costa Rica (Soviet defeat)
Alternate versions of Costa Rica have also been discovered to belong to different nations:
- Aztlan (ATLAS)
- Confederate States of America
- Federal Republic of Guatemala (British Louisiana)
- Intendancy of Guatemala (Washington Shot at Murdering Town!)
- United Provinces of Central America (Here we go again)
- United States of America