Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
| The following New Union article is obsolete.
This article is no longer part of the New Union timeline. This page has not been deleted from this website for sentimental and reference purposes. You are welcome to comment on the talk page.
The Constitution of the Soviet Union
- The nation's official name will be the "Union of Soviet Sovereign Republics."
- The constitution recognizes ten republics, 34 autonomous republics, and one union city; but allows for the creation and admission of new republics separate from the constitution.
- Defines that the federal government is to handle inter-republic commerce, foreign relations, a united currency, a united leadership, and a united armed forces. The republics have control of their internal economies and politics.
- Autonomous republics are granted similar sovereignties as full republics, but retain autonomy from within another republic.
- All Autonomous Oblasts (AOs) and Autonomous Okrugs (AOks) will be upgraded to Autonomous republics.
- The supreme governing body is the Supreme Soviet. The Supreme Soviet is divided into two chambers (the Soviet of Republics and the Soviet of the Union).
- States that by January 1, 1993, the capital of the USSR is not to also serve as the capital of a republic; requiring Russia to move its capital.
- Gives the Russian language the official title of Working language of the USSR. This means that republics are no longer required to have Russian as an official language. Any languages recognized by the republics and autonomous republics will also gain the title of official language of the USSR.