| The following page is under construction.
Please do not edit or alter this article in any way while this template is active. All unauthorized edits may be reverted on the admin's discretion. Propose any changes to the talk page.
|French Trafalgar, British Waterloo|
|Nations and Geopolitics|
|People, Culture and Other|
This page seeks to showcase many of the Changes from OTL in my Alternate History, French Trafalgar, British Waterloo. By no means an exhaustive list, I seek to mention as many as possible on this page, to show how things have developed.
In comparison to the development of technology in OTL, in FTBW, technology is roughly anywhere from two to 15 years advanced, or, in some cases, two to seven years behind. Below is a list of OTL technological advances and their development in FTBW.
- Airplane (OTL 1903): FTBW - 1902
- Telegraph (OTL 1837): FTBW - 1835
- Radio (OTL c.1887): FTBW - 1880
- Telephone (OTL 1876): FTBW - 1874
- Motion Pictures (OTL c.1880's): FTBW - c.1870's
- French Socialism - French socialism is the retroactive name given to ideas that were first outlined by Emperor Napoleon I and expanded by his successors, though the most recognizable aspects of it were put into place in the 1880s under Emperor Louis and Premier Alfred Dreyfus in the Imperial Welfare Plan. Old age security and pensions, a public school system that stretched over the entire Empire, and controlled healthcare costs were the three pillars of French Socialism. No nationalizing of industry or businesses took place directly under the programs of French Socialism. It was only in the 1930s when Sorelism began to take over France that nationalizing took place in any great measure. Although some businesses were set up by the Imperial government, most of them were run as private companies, and until the 1930s they would be sold to investors after it had been established.
French socialism could also be called New Democracy in America and Russia, and became a very important platform of the various left and centre leaning parties, most notably the Socialist Party of the US from the late 1800s to the present.
- National Socialism - In perhaps the biggest political difference to other alternate histories, National Socialism is not, repeat not the same with what Adolf Hitler and the Nazi Party made it out to be. In this timeline, National Socialism is on the extreme left wing of the political spectrum (along the lines with OTL Communism), but is, as the name suggests, very nationalistic. This came about when many socialists realized, especially in European Nations, that Nationalism is the big seller for a movement or political party, no matter what the parties other points are. They assumed that this was the reason that Marx and Engels' Communism did not flourish like the founders of the ideology stated: they purposely disavowed Nationalism, trying to create a world wide revolution were all the people would throw off their chains. But some, such as Argentinian Nicolás Repetto, saw that Socialism would never achieve any great power unless it was successfully blended with Nationalism, as the people would work harder for their country than some lofty goal that they would never see. This struck a chord with the people, especially of the defeated nations in the Second Global War, who wished to see their nation avenge their humiliation. But, as in OTL, National Socialism was also seen as the "bad" dictatorship ideology, mostly because the nations that were National Socialist, namely Germany, Italy, the United Kingdom, the Confederate States of America and other nations, were considered one of the causes of the Third Global War, and the shocking massacres of millions of "enemies of the state", which included blacks in the CSA, Jews in Germany and the Irish in the UK, and ultimately shunning the National Socialist movement, having been banned from most nations in the world.
- Sorelism The primary ideology of France and her empire, and to some degree Japan. While at the beginning many could have considered it an offshoot of Marxism, Sorelism has changed over the seven decades since it was first outlined. The lines can be drawn between OTL's Fascism and ATL's Sorelism: the need for a strong National Identity, the glowing portrayal of the armed forces and the subservient needs of the population to the state. However, racism is not as important (or, in Nations like Japan, it can be considered a "regional difference," as the founder Georges Sorel claimed that the entire population should be used to support the goals of the state, with none being superior in any terms. This has allowed those who are not white, Catholic or French to rise to high levels within the empire, most notably Messali Hadj from Algeria, who became Minister of State under Premier Philippe Petain. This does not mean that political dissidents were allowed to freely express their opinions: censorship and state propaganda is still vital to the survival of a Sorelist state, and education, while strong in technical and scientific studies, is noticeably weaker and more controlled in the more liberal arts. Private enterprise and capitalism is strongly encouraged, with only the most important industries, such as banking, the military-industrial complex, electricity generation and telecommunications under direct government control.
In most countries that subscribe to Sorelism, only one political party is allowed, such as in France. In others, such as Texas, officially allow only one political party, but multiple candidates from that party can run in elections. This was changed in 2011 after the Second Mexican Civil War, and now Texas is on the path to becoming a full fledged democracy.
In this Timeline, the United States of America, since the defeat during the First American War by the British, and the annexation of over half of the Louisiana Purchase as punishment, America's hopes to spread from sea to sea were curtailed for over a century, and in the Second Global War did the dream of an Atlantic and a Pacific Coast line were reached.
But, the Southern States also became a state in 1862, in the War of Confederate Independence, as did the Mexican controlled California, as the Pacific Republic, and as opponents of the United States, fought three bloody wars, of which the US triumphed in the last two, annexing the Pacific Republic (along with the bitter Mexico, and the division of the Confederacy by a Northern US Occupation, and a Southern Franco- Latin American Occupation, and a border being driven in between the war torn nation by the US and France as they entered a Cold War, and only reunified in 1997.
Canada, as we know it in OTL does not exist in FTBW, at least not any longer. The entire nation that we would recognize as Canada would, in fact, be three separate countries by the present day: Alyseka in OTL British Columbia and the Yukon, Assiniboia, the central, nearly landlocked nation founded after the unsuccessful attempts of Canada to expand west in the 1870's, and Quebec, formed of the Francophone majority during the devastating Canadian Civil War, that saw the Dominion of Canada cease to exist.