Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|The Global War|
|Date||December 25, 1929 - December 25, 1931|
|Result||Global Powers victory; foundation of the Republic of Vinland; development of particle bombs; eventual formation of the Foedus Terrae|
The Global War, or the Second World War (Latin: Bellum Mundum) was a global military conflict involving all the existing nations of the world at the time. The conflict was primarily fought between two rival factions : the technologically superior Global Powers, and the numerically superior group formed by most of the remaining world nations, the Allied Coalition. It was the most widespread war in human history, with over 250 million military personnel mobilized by all sides across the world. The resulting devastation led to nearly half of those men dying, along with an additional 180 to 220 million civilians dead from collateral damage. Over 60% of the dead were part of the Allied Coalition, and most of those nations were left absolutely devastated following the war.
Though many historians cite this conflict as a real example of a state of "Total War", that is in fact a misnomer. The nations of the Global Powers actually functioned normally and only had to have a substantial amount of government funding spent on the war. Most of the members of the Allied Coalitions on the other hand devoted virtually all of their capabilities possible into the war effort, as the sheer numbers of their populations was their only advantage.
The war was sparked by anti-expansionist sentiment within the nations opposed to the three "World Powers" at the time, the Empire, the Conglomerate and the Shogunate. Conversely, many of the Coalition nations secretly wished to expand their own territories and the easiest way to accomplish this was through war. When both sides created military alliances against the other, something was bound the break. Due to the immense advantage held by the Global Powers, the Coalition was forced into making a preemptive strike against the Powers on December 25, 1929. This act definitively marked the outbreak of the war.
- Mongol Empire
- Inca Empire
- Danish Empire
- United Chiefdoms of Columbia
- Islamic Republic of India
- July 9 - Signing of the Treaty of Melita, formation of the Global Powers.
- August 2-August 11 - Congress of Chan Chan. The leaders of all members of the Allied Coalition meet together in the Inca city of Chan Chan, here they decide that the only they could possibly win a war is to strike first, and so a global plan of attack is made that strategically utilizes all member nations effectively. Despite all the planning, AC analysts believe there is only a one in two chance that they will achieve victory.
- December 17 - Completion of the Kor'na Yasse, a massive Inca-Mongol naval fortress built at a secret location between Africa and South Columbia. Three times the size of an OTL aircraft carrier, the installation is a floating structure of steel and stone with several columns going deep underwater to increase floatation and stability of this nearly city-sized giant. The Kor'na is meant to act as a base of operations for all AC operations in Columbia and Western Eurasia.
- December 25 - Christomiss Massacres. The 14th Golden Horde of Mongolia attacks the Japanese Empire in Korea and the Roman Empire along its border in the west. The Inca begin to shell important Roman and Mayan locations across the world with their weaponized Plague and the Inca navy immediately starts to attack shipping lanes headed to South Columbia. The Danish fleet attacks all Roman ports in the Baltic Sea and several in North Columbia, whilst also incurring on the Romans in Fennoscandia. The UCC attacks the Mayans in full force and Nunavut's armies attack the Romans by passing through the UCC.
- December 26 - GP forces are mobilized around the world to defend from these incursions.
- December 30 - Papua's fleet attacks Roman ports in Australis and Cubagua does the same in the Caribbean. Most of the Roman Classis is busy in Europe and South Columbia and so cannot respond to these attacks.
- January 3 - The CEL and Mayan air force are finally able to organize themselves and join the fight with all that is left of their nations' forces.
- January 10 - The Mongols develop a device capable of receiving radio waves and uses it to spy on Roman and Japanese transmissions along the Frontline.
- January 24 - All Roman colonies outside of Europe-Africa and all Mayan colonies outside of mainland Columbia are cut-off from their homeland, they are only supported by land routes from the friendly power of the continent (Rome in Africa, and Maya in Columbia).
- February 10 - The Islamic Republic of India attacks Roman India in full force, it achieves a slow advance due to the single Legion stationed there.
- February 17 - Mongols attempt an attack on the Japanese Isles. However, the mighty navy of Japan easily overpowers the Mongol's naval forces preventing any success of their mission.
- March 13 - Battle of Gyeongju. Mongol forces take the Japanese city of Gyeongju, completely expelling the Japanese from mainland Asia. This begins a stalemate in the East, the Mongols are constantly rebuffed when attempting to invade Japan, and the Japanese are always expelled following any landings in Asia.
- March 16 - Inca forces reach the Isthmus of Pakal in South Columbia, they are, however, not able to take the fortified city of Pakάlan at the land's thinnest point.
- March 29 - Formation of a quasi-demarcation line in India, the Indians don't want to attack the heavy Roman defenses for fear of leaving an opening in their own forces, and the Romans don't want to waste resources on an attack, and so, neither side engages in any hostilities for some time.
- April 11 - The Khmer Empire is persuaded into joining the war on the side of the GP
- April 18 - The Golden Horde begins a successful counterattack against the Khmerians. The technology and tactics of the Khmerian army, while suited perfectly to the last World War, are largely obsolete by this time period.
- April 24 - Pushed to the brink, the Roman and Mayan governments jointly decide to enact a policy of conscription in their respective countries. All able-bodied male citizens between the ages of 16-42 are to be trained as part of the auxiliary regiments. First deployment is anticipated halfway through the following year.
- April 30 - The Romans set up a defensive line in South Columbia that consists only of Testudos (essentially equivalent to OTL Cold War-era tanks) and gun emplacements, remotely-operated from complexes underneath them. This set-up essentially nullifies the strategic effectiveness of the Inca's biological warfare.
- May 17 - Mayan and Roman engineers develop a rudimentary point-defense laser to protect Pakάlan from further artillery bombardment. Although it can only fire once every 24 seconds, plans are developed to build over a hundred of them. Not only do the lasers prematurely detonate the shells, but they significantly lower the effectiveness of any released biological agents.
- May 23 - The Mayans start to bomb Incan cities using explosives containing "lethal metals", preliminary tests performed in the early 1900's indicated that this can cause long-term problems to any organisms that enter the area afterward.
- June 8 - Cubaguan forces land on Hispaniola and begin to march toward Nova Roma over land since a naval attack on the city is all but impossible.
- June 15 - A seven km long particle accelerator is completed in the Roman province of Raetia, despite protests within the Discateria that it was a waste of resources at the time. The Atomos Confligator is scheduled to be "fired up" on July 31.
- June 21 - Inca village of Chicoqui is leveled when one of the Mayan's bombs has a 10,000% increase in magnitude. Mayan scientist K'ichin Q'awil uses this event to further prove his theories of a "Particle Bomb", an explosive device that gets its power from the central particles of every atom. After the Romans are told about this technology, a site is set-up 300 km north of Teotihuacan for the research and development of a more functional particle bomb. All lethal metals are devoted to the Ahau Project.
- June 29 - Danes begin the long push through Cimbria.
- July 10 - Roman emperor Sulla II authorizes Operation Hermes, an effort by the Global Powers to produce a rocket capable of delivering ordnance over 6000 km.
- July 19 - The first Mongol armored behemoth is destroyed, along with three more, just before breaching the walls of Moscow. This was accomplished by placing Mayan plastic explosives on the, relatively, unprotected underside of each mechanical monstrosity, then storming in through the hole - certainly no easy feat.
- August 11-August 14 - A meeting is held by the leaders of the Coalition, on the Kor'na Yasse. They decide that the war has come to the point where the second part of their strategy is to be enacted. Since the defenses of the Global Powers are specialized for their current threat they have a certain degree of vulnerability to attacks of an entirely different nature then their specialization. So, despite the cost, Incan biological weapons are brought to Eurasia for use by the Mongols, and Mongolian armored behemoths are transported to Africa and South Columbia for use by the Incans.
- August 29 - An armored behemoth breaches the Roman defensive line in South Columbia, but the problem is eventually contained.
- September 5 - Construction of the Pons Mons Calpi is completed. Whether or not it had a positive effect on the Roman war effort is debatable.
- September 20-September 21 - Battle of Kiev. What was supposed to be the turning point of the War in Europe turned into a military disaster when the Mongols unveiled the biological weapons given to them by the Inca. Over half a million Roman soldiers lost their lives, resulting in nearly as many deaths as the Battle of Thebes from a millennium before
- October 15 - The Japanese fleet is caught of guard by an attack on their "rear" by Incan submarines. No one had ever expected the use of submarines in warfare before as they were considered by all nations to be far too dangerous an endeavour, and so the Japanese had no way to directly combat this new threat.
- October 23 - The Mongol navy attempts another attack on Japanese soil, but this time the path is cleared for them by the Incan submarines.
- October 24 - Only 50 km from Kyushu, the Incan submarines encounter an unexpected threat of their own, naval mines. Although normally these would be but a lethal inconvenience, the mines of the Japanese were different. They would identify a vessel through passive pressure sensors, target the vessel with sonar, use pressurized gas to orient themselves at this target, then detonate a small explosive to bring them right up against their target before finally exploding themselves. This proved highly effective.
- November 1 - A second attack with Incan submarines is attempted by the Mongols. An invasion force is able to successfully land on the island of Hokkaido. Many submarines, however, were lost as the Japanese found that a timed bomb dropped from a plane was an effective means of combat.
- November 6 - Allied beachhead in Hokkaido is wiped-out through incendiary bombardment.
- November 14 - The Golden Horde storms the Khmer capital of Angkara and kills Emperor Srindarman II. His son Srindarman III takes over from the city of Phnom Koki.
- November 21 - Scientists at the Ahau Project theorize that certain metals can be used to encase the lethal metals to increase the chance of criticality. Seeing how close they are to success, Emperor Sulla II quadruples his funding for the project and more than doubles its main d'oeuvre, this unfortunately forgoes the project's secrecy within the GP, the program's potential becoming the hottest topic of conversation among the Roman meritocrats.
- November 28 - Khmer Empire evacuates its leadership to its island territories in face of the advancing Horde. Djayakarta becomes the new capital.
- December 3 - Danes are stopped at the Cimbrian Line, the Roman defenses being far too thick for anything the Danes have to hope to get through.
- December 16 - The Inca take Pakάlan, finally allowing them to enter North Columbia.
- December 23 - First torpedoes used in warfare in the Second Battle of the Mid-Atlantic. A large contingent of the Inca navy was sent out on the 18th to provide aid to the Danes in the Baltic. Mayan spies, however, learned of the plan weeks before and immediately warned the Romans of this threat. Three Carthage-class carriers were dispatched to meet the Inca halfway to Europe. Roman Deliquium Torpedo Aircraft made short work of the Incan submarines and boats with their new acoustic-seeking torpedoes.
- January 1 - During the New Year celebrations in the Zulu Empire, King Ndwandu is convinced by the Roman emperor to join the Global Powers in the war, citing the Inca's biological genocide of its own territory's African populations as reason enough to fight them off the continent.
- January 9 - Zulus formally declares war on the Incans through a massive surprise attack on Incan Africa
- January 15 - Khmer surrender to the Mongols. In additions to large reparations, the Khmerians are forced to give the Mongols all the lands they have left on mainland Asia, save for some land on the Langka Peninsula (Malay Peninsula)
- February 2 - Canuck Rebellions. Beginning of an uprising by the majority Danish-Columbian ethnicity (Canucks by the locals) in Nunavut. Less than half the nations military is brought back home to put down the dissenters. The rest of the military begin themselves to revolt.
- February 13 - The Romans are finally able to establish a relatively stable defensive line in Eastern Europe.
- February 17 - An Intercontinental Ballistic Missile is launched from near Olissipa to hit a 10 m wide target on the Isle of Bann in the Hibernian Sea, proving the success of Operation Hermes. Mass production of the A-1 Zeus rockets and Qq-nN rockets begin in the Roman and Mayan Empires respectively.
- February 28 - The Canucks take control of Nunavut giving it the name (based on equivalent English words) the Republic of Vinland. So as not to confuse it with Danish Columbia, most Romans jokingly refer to it as Canuckia, it is referred to as such by the military especially.
- March 6 - Production of the Japanese Kamikaze ICBMs begins.
- March 8 - First of many fatalities from ICBMs after the Romans launch several to permanently break vital points of the Inca's mountain railroads and by luck a train is struck directly by one, killing the 910 soldiers on board.
- March 21 - Detonation of Quetz' (Quetzalcoatl), the first planned detonation of a Particle Bomb. The testing of this 100-kiloton bomb was performed in the middle of the Mojave Desert as the effects of the bomb being used near a city were expected to be problematic.
- April 4 - The last Cubaguan soldiers are executed on Hispaniola, plans are drawn up for an invasion of Cubagua proper
- April 7 - An incendiary bomb dropped on Papua causes a run-off forest fire that the native government can't contain. Several thousand acres of forest are destroyed and a city of 30,000 people is wiped off the map.
- April 14 - Roman and Mayan aircraft in Columbia are nearly all devoted to a full scale aerial assault on Cubagua. All major military bases are destroyed, most of the nations ports and ships are destroyed and the capital of Tainoa is burned to the ground. By the 22nd of April, more than 260,000 Cubaguans have been killed, many of which were either in the military or part of the government.
- April 16 - While the GP are distracted in Columbia, the Mongols launch a full scale invasion of the Ottoman Empire, whose armies are able to do little against the might of the Golden Horde. This event, however, surprises the remaining Allies. The Islamic Republic of India nevertheless moves to take its own slice out of the Ottomans.
- April 23 - General Jatituku, one of the only surviving members of the government, surrenders on behalf of his nation. Repercussions for their membership with the Allies will wait until the end of the war.
- May 10 - Ten million trained Roman conscripts and 30 million Mayan conscripts start to ship out to the front lines. Nearly a tenth of the Roman ones and a sixteenth of the Mayan are put into the air force.
- May 22 - Mayans retake the city of Pakάlan from the Incans.
- June 3 - Mangku Khan commits ritual suicide through poison, the event is, however, described internationally as having been a heart attack.
- June 4 - The previous Khan's son takes over the Empire as Dalai Khan. As one of his first acts he removes the Mongol Empire from the Coalition, immediately halting the wars in the Middle East and Eastern Europe.
- June 5 - Despite having received no news regarding their Khan's death, Mongol forces within the Inca Empire begin to revolt and suddenly throw their support to the Global Powers.
- June 6 - Dalai Khan orders an invasion of the Islamic Republic of India. An envoy is sent to the Romans beforehand to allow them to offer assistance in the invasion.
- June 8 - Despite believing the Khan's offer to be a trap, General Artius Ackbarrus Harvex decides to still attack the Indians, hoping to at least keep the Mongol border as far from the Roman population centers as possible.
- June 16 - The Treaty of Temujin officially ends hostilities between the Global Powers and the Mongol Empire
- June 21 - In an act of good faith, the Mongols reveal the location of the Kor'na Yasse to the Romans and the Japanese, information on its last known defenses is provided as well.
- July 4 - Dies de Triumphum in Europā. The Danes surrender unconditionally after only two weeks of war against the combined forces of the Mongols and the Romans.
- July 7 - Completion of designs for the A-2 Heavy Zeus rockets and the A-3 Vulcan rockets. The A-2 design is capable of wielding 4, 100 kiloton particle bombs which are spread out over the target, whilst the Vulcan's can contain a single one megaton warhead.
- July 15 - Despite protests from the Japanese, it is agreed by the GP that a naval assault will be attempted, to wrestle control of the Kor'na Yasse from the Inca and the Columbians as opposed to just "Vulcanizing" it.
- August 6-August 9 - Battle of Kor'na Yasse. The navies of all three global powers, without Mongolian help by suggestion of the promoted Generalissimus Ackbarrus, finally attack the mighty naval base of the remaining Allies. Although over one-third of the Incan navy was present to defend it, the overwhelming force of the three nations ended the battle in a resounding GP victory. It was unanimously decided that a large naval contingent was to be left behind there pending its further use following the expected end of the war. Plans are, however, laid out to make massive upgrades to its outdated technology - by their standards anyhow.
- August 23 - The Inca once again bring the fighting up to the city of Pakάlan. This time, however, the cities defenses are literally impossible for the Inca to penetrate.
- September 2 - Despite a feeling of intense desperation, the Inca believe they can still achieve their endgame of owning the entire continent of South Columbia. They decide to reorganize all their forces, leaving only small amounts in Africa and near Pakάlan, and then leading a massive assault on the Roman defense line. This attack is spearheaded by the new Yaguara heavy tanks and Kundor bi-planes.
- September 7 - The Roman defensive line in South Columbia is broken at three different points simultaneously. This victory is immediately followed up by an attack on the rest of the line from the rear, the static defenses only being able to fire "outward" increasing the chances of success for the Inca.
- September 11 - Roman forces launch a counter-attack in an attempt to completely surround the Inca forces.
- September 18 - Mayan spies relay information on the current vulnerability in Incan defenses.
- September 19 - A large force of Mayans leave the protection of Pakάlan to take back their land from the Inca.
- September 25 - The Incan army succeeds in not getting surrounded but is nevertheless pushed back from the coast by the Roman army. The Romans begin to set up a new defensive line. However, this one is, on average, 100 km farther east than the last.
- September 29 - The Mayans are once again repelled back to the city limits of Pakάlan.
- October 17 - The defensive line in South Columbia is once again completed, despite frequent breaking of the line during construction.
- October 25 - A large force of Mayan tanks is brought over by boat to Roman South Columbia to better fortify their defenses there
- November 11 - The city of Kanata in the UCC is taken by the Mayans. Chief Taoyade had already fled the city, however, and was on the run to reach their primary military base on the West Coast.
- November 23 - Chief Taoyade is struck by a laser-guided missile launched from Roman Sifocaeli. Needless to say it was a fatal blow to the young leader.
- November 26 - The United Chiefdoms of Columbia surrender unconditionally to the Global Powers following the death of General of the Army Mankoda by ICBM. This leaves the Inca all alone in the war. However, through their sheer force of numbers they have proven capable of consistently repelling the Romans and Mayans from making any serious incursions into their land
- December 1 - Plans and designs are finally completed for the top secret Artemis Program, expected to be put into action following the end of the Global War.
- December 8 - Hoping to end the war before its 2nd anniversary, the Global Powers agree to finally enact Operation Michael.
- December 12 - At 8:15 in the morning local time, the residents of the Inca holy city of Apu, were awakened to a blinding flash appearing just above the Great Citadel of Hanan. Though none who survived the following atrocity knew what had happened, the true cause was an A-3 Vulcan ICBM launched from a silo near Tegucigallipo. The missile was named Michael, not specifically after the Archangel as is thought by most, but instead it is because on seeing Quetz detonated, physicist Lucius Paulus Oppus is reported to have said, "Quis est similem Deum?". Who is like God?
- December 13 - Pachacuti II offers the immediate and unconditional surrender of the Inca to the Global Powers, officially bringing an end to the Global War. (Dies de Triumphum Pro Mundo) Victory Day for the World is declared by Emperor Sulla II to the Roman people, the same is done by their allied nations
- December 14 - Representatives of all world nations are brought together at the Kor'na Yasse for the Peace Talks that will determine the fate of the members of the Allied Coalition
- December 25 - Signing of the Treaty of the Kor'na Yasse
Following the emergence of the Japanese after the First World War, and their subsequent alliance with the Romans, the technological disparity between certain nations has grown enormously. Although every nation had access to large armored battleships, the axis of the Romans, Mayans and Japanese were the only ones who had aircraft and missile technologies. Even armored vehicles had only been built by four nations. With so much power in the hands of so few, the global balance was severely off course and so naturally something needed to occur to return the global geopolitical situation back to a stable norm.
Naturally, most of the less advanced nations assembled themselves together as a coalition that was intended to maintain their own security. All of this was justified by the government's in question as a way of blocking foreign imperialism and protecting the sovereignty of the coalition members. Despite the bad blood which still ran forth from the last Great War, nearly everyone was in agreement that a military pact such as this was the only choice that they had.
Even before the pact was made, nations like the Inca and Mongols were already preparing themselves for war, even if they'd have to fight on their own. Both nations were fully aware of recent "Imperialist" developments, notably the jet aircraft, and the use of these new technologies was seen by them as some kind of preparation for war. The Mongols for their own part believed themselves to be very well prepared. In 1911 their scientists had invented a Behemoth Armored Vehicle which was even more well armored and more heavily armed than even a Roman Testudo (Tank). Furthermore, the Khagan enacted the formation of a Golden Horde, which required that a quarter of all able-bodied men report for periodic military training in order to be conscripted when the war broke out. This gave them over 60 million well-trained soldiers in reserve in case of emergencies.
The Inca on the other hand had used their biological technology to create an artillery shell which could release an aerosolized pathogen over any reachable location. Nevertheless, this did not ensure their own security and so in April 1928 the official military pact was signed, along with six other nations, that guaranteed that they'd protect each other in the event of a war. As part of the agreement, construction was immediately begun in secret on a neutral sea fortress in the South Atlantic which they intended to use as their base of operations in the event of a war.
The next year, the Mayans, Romans and Japanese officially signed an agreement on July 9 that created a military alliance between them known as the Viris Mundi (World Powers). In early August all members of the coalition met in the Inca city of Chan Chan to discuss the recent event and what needed to be done. For the next three months military strategists and politicians worked together to create the perfect plan of attack which would hurt the Power as much as possible in as short a time as possible. When the Kor'na Yasse, the great fortress project, was finally completed on December 17 of that same year, all sides discretely began to position themselves for the initial attack.
Course of the War
The day of the assault was chosen as December 25, the Roman holiday of Christomiss, which celebrated the birth of Jesus of Nazareth. On this day, nearly all politicians were taking a break to relax or spend time with family, and most members of the Roman military were in their bases celebrating with food, wine and women, leaving them completely unprepared for what happened next. Within the first day of the war, more than half a million soldiers and civilians have been killed in the strikes, and only the Mayans and Japanese had managed to direct their forces into a counter-attack. On December 26, the Romans ordered their own counter-attack, and had their own forces come into battle in North and South Columbia and in the Baltic Sea.
On December 30, the Papua and Cubagua armed forces suddenly attack other Roman coastal cities in their respective regions. These places were almost completely defenseless, since the Air Force, Navy and most of the Legion are already in action abroad. The Viris Mundi now needed to regroup from these first strikes and try to fight the war on their own terms. To the great surprise of the Coalition, no one asked for any kind of surrender and virtually the entire planet has now been dragged into a bloody war.