Obama is a graduate of Columbia University and Harvard Law School, where he was the president of the Harvard Law Review. He was a community organizer in Chicago before earning his law degree. He worked as a civil rights attorney in Chicago and taught constitutional law at the University of Chicago Law School from 1992 to 2004.
Obama served three terms in the Illinois Senate from 1997 to 2004. Following an unsuccessful bid for a seat in the U.S. House of Representatives in 2000, Obama ran for United States Senate in 2004. His victory, from a crowded field, in the March 2004 Democratic primary raised his visibility. His prime-time televised keynote address at the Democratic National Convention in July 2004 made him a rising star nationally in the Democratic Party. He was elected to the U.S. Senate in November 2004 by the largest margin in the history of Illinois.
He began his run for the presidency in February 2007. After a close campaign in the 2008 Democratic Party presidential primaries against Hillary Rodham Clinton, he won his party's nomination, becoming the first major party African American candidate for president. In the 2008 general election, he defeated Republican nominee John McCain and was inaugurated as president on January 20, 2009. Obama was re-elected president in November of 2012, defeating Republican nominee Mitt Romney, and was sworn in for a second term on January 20, 2013.
Alternate versions of Obama have been found throughout the multiverse, some where he was still elected president, others where he is not, and some that are completely different:
- Barack Obama, 44th Prime Minister of the North American Union (Albany Congress)
- Barack Obama, 44th President of the United States (An Independent in 2000)
- Barack Obama, Prime Minister of the Kingdom of Hawaii (Cinco De Mayo)
- Barack Obama, 44th President of the United States of America (Great Empires)
- Barack Obama, 44th President of the United States (King of America)
- Barack Obama, 46th President of the United States (Myers Way)
- Barack Obama, Minister of Finance in the French Empire (Nelson's Death)
- Barack Obama, President of the American Union (New America)
- Barack Obama, 1st Earl Obama and British Ambassador to Sweden (Oldenburg Sweden)
- Barack Obama, 34th President of the Republic of California (Pax Columbia)
- Barack Obama, Senior US Senator from Illinois (President Delay)
- Barack Obama, Junior US Senator from Illinois and front runner for 2012 Democratic nomination (President McCain)
- Barack Obama, Prominent lawyer during the Second Red Scare (President Welles)
- Barack Obama, 45th President of the United States (Progressive Success)
- Barack Obama, 4th President of the American Federation (Red Victory)
- Baraccus Obamacus, President of Ethiokenya (Rome Endures)
- Barack Obama, Junior US Senator from Illinois and the 2008 Democratic nominee (SIADD)
- Barack Obama, 4th Secretary-General of the United Communities on the Moon (Space Race Didn't End)