Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
The Islamic Republic of Afghanistan is a landlocked country in South-Central Asia. It is variously described as being located within Central Asia, South Asia, or the Middle East. It is bordered by Pakistan in the south and east, Iran in the west, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan and Tajikistan in the north, and China in the far northeast.
Afghanistan (meaning land of the Afghans) has a very long history, it has been an ancient focal point of the Silk Road and migration. It is an important geostrategic location, connecting East and West Asia or the Middle East. The land has been a target of various invaders, as well as a source from which local powers invaded neighboring regions to form their own empires. Ahmad Shah Durrani created the Durrani Empire in 1747, which is considered the beginning of modern Afghanistan. Its capital was shifted later from Kandahar to Kabul and most of its territories ceded to neighboring empires. In the late 19th century, Afghanistan became a buffer state in "The Great Game" played between the British Indian Empire and Russian Empire. On August 19, 1919, following the third Anglo-Afghan war, the country regained independence from the United Kingdom over its foreign affairs.
Since the late 1970s Afghanistan has experienced a continuous state of civil war punctuated by foreign occupations in the forms of the 1979 Soviet invasion and the 2001 U.S.-led invasion that toppled the Taliban government. In late 2001 the United Nations Security Council authorized the creation of an International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) composed of NATO troops. The country is being rebuilt by international support, while dealing with a strong insurgency.
Alternate versions of Afghanistan have been discovered in the multiverse:
- Afghan Democratic Republic (Twilight of a New Era)
- Afghan SSR (1861: Historical Failing)
- Afghanistan (1983: Doomsday)
- Afghanistan (A Confederate Victory)
- Afghanistan (A Shadow in the Blue Sky)
- Afghanistan (Austria and others)
- Afghanistan (For Want of an Inch)
- Afghanistan (French Trafalgar, British Waterloo)
- Afghanistan (New Union)
- Afghanistan (President McCain)
- Afghanistan (Sino-Roman)
- Afghanistan (The Kalmar Union)
- Afghanistan (Union of Nations)
- Arachosia (L'Uniona Homanus)
- Bactria (L'Uniona Homanus)
- Bactria (Revolution 1)
- Bactria (Vegetarian World)
- Badakhshan (Deluge)
- Balochistan (1983: Doomsday)
- Confederation of Afghanistan (An Independent in 2000)
- Democratic Afghanistan
- Islamic Autocracy of Afghans (Forested Bosworth)
- Islamic Republic of Afghanistan (Federation of Nations)
- Kingdom of Afghanistan (PS-1)
- Pashtunistan (New Union)
Alternate versions of Afghanistan have also been discovered to belong to different nations: