A decorated veteran of World War I, Hitler joined the precursor of the Nazi Party (DAP) in 1919 and became leader of NSDAP in 1921. He attempted a failed coup called the Beer Hall Putsch in Munich in 1923, for which he was imprisoned. Following his imprisonment, in which he wrote his book, Mein Kampf, he gained support by promoting German nationalism, anti-Semitism, anti-capitalism, and anti-communism with charismatic oratory and propaganda. He was appointed chancellor in 1933, and quickly transformed the Weimar Republic into the Third Reich, a single-party dictatorship based on the totalitarian and autocratic ideals of National Socialism.
Hitler ultimately wanted to establish a New Order of absolute Nazi German hegemony in Europe. To achieve this, he pursued a foreign policy with the declared goal of seizing "Lebensraum" ("living space") for the Aryan people; directing the resources of the state towards this goal. This included the rearmament of Germany, which culminated in 1939 when the Wehrmacht invaded Poland. In response, the United Kingdom and France declared war against Germany, leading to the outbreak of World War II in Europe.
Within three years, Germany and the Axis powers had occupied most of Europe, and most of Northern Africa, East and Southeast Asia and the Pacific Ocean. However, with the reversal of the Nazi invasion of the Soviet Union, the Allies gained the upper hand from 1942 onwards. By 1945, Allied armies had invaded German-held Europe from all sides. Nazi forces engaged in numerous violent acts during the war, including the systematic murder of as many as 17 million civilians, an estimated six million of whom were Jews targeted in the Holocaust and between 500,000 and 1,500,000 were Romanis. Others targeted included ethnic Poles, Soviet civilians, Soviet prisoners of war, people with disabilities, homosexuals, Jehovah's Witnesses, and other political and religious opponents.
In the final days of the war, during the Battle of Berlin in 1945, Hitler married his long-time mistress Eva Braun and, to avoid capture by Soviet forces less than two days later, the two committed suicide on 30 April 1945.
Alternate versions of Hitler have been discovered in the multiverse:
- Adolf Hitler (A Different History)
- Adolf Hitler (A Reich Disunited)
- Adolf Hitler (Central Victory)
- Adolf Hitler (Cinco De Mayo)
- Adolf Hitler (Close Encounters of the Third Reich)
- Adolf Hitler (Darwin's Domain)
- Adolf Hitler (Der Führer ist Tot)
- Adolf Hitler (Deutschland Siegt)
- Adolf Hitler (Empire of Newfoundland)
- Adolf Hitler (European Victory)
- Adolf Hitler (Lightning Blitz)
- Adolf Hitler (Eyes Over the World)
- Adolf Hitler (Fall Grün)
- Adolf Hitler (Forested Bosworth)
- Adolf Hitler (Nazi Victory)
- Adolf Hitler (No Belgium)
- Adolf Hitler (No Napoleon)
- Adolf Hitler (Oldenburg Sweden)
- Adolf Hitler (Split)
- Adolf Hitler (Sundered Veil)
- Adolf Hitler (Tandey Shoots)
- Adolf Hitler (Trainwreck)
- Adolf Hitler (Tripartite Without Its Samurai)
- Adolf Hitler (Vive l'Emperor)
- Adolf Hitler (What Happened?)
- Adolf Hitler (Winged Hands of the Reich)
- Fez Monten (Maximum Systema)
- Ludwig von Hiedler (A World of Difference)