Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
This is the April 2010 report on the current status of all U.S. states, as well as Canadian provinces that used Pacific Standard time, Alaskan Standard time, and Hawaiian Standard time.
The Doomsday event of September 25-26, 1983 forever changed the face of the planet in every way imaginable. Every country was affected, but few more than the United States of America. It is estimated that the U.S. lost at least 90 percent of its population as a result of the devastation caused by the Soviet Union's missiles. Small, independent nations have arisen in the northeastern, midwestern and western U.S. Most of these have shown a great potential to grow and prosper over the years, becoming successful democratic countries, but others have become ruthless dictatorships threatening the peace of the democracies.
The estimated population at the time was about 240,000,000. Currently it is about 20,000,000. Most of the former U.S's surviving population centers are in the West, as well as throughout New England and near the Great Lakes. There are still many people scattered throughout the former states, many without home or hearth.
A good portion of these nations have only recently been discovered and a greater portion have only recently been established. Invited by the Chumash Republics Main News Organization, KSBY, this is a detailed report on the current status of this region.
Starting on January 4, 2010 we accepted KSBY's proposal to explore the pacific region. We spent three months going from nation to nation interviewing political leaders, and common residents. We had to be very detailed and specific about each question, but we had little time so we could only interview a few people.
States and Provinces List
For the purposes of the expedition, the following states and provinces, having been considered part of the "West Coast" of the United States and Canada, were chosen for exploration:
- British Columbia
- Northern Idaho
more to come.
Most military targets and all major cities were hit by nuclear weapons on September 25 (some cities, like Los Angeles, are known to have taken as many as four hits). Some targets, namely obsolete military bases and other military bases of little strategic importance, were hit by conventional missiles. One notable exception is Camp Roberts that was in San Luis Obispo, California, the first American army base in California.
A brief, state-by-state overview of the region and the first years post-Doomsday follows.
- Alaska- Anchorage and Fairbanks were destroyed. Alaska was one of the first U.S. states hit by a nuclear weapon, and violence broke out soon after. The state employed military laws to regain order, and most of the state was regained by 1985. In 1987 the country made contact with American Provisional administration in 1987 and they took control of the state from 1987-1995. But much debate by the APA caused the resentment of the Alaskan people, claiming the APA government to be "out of touch of the people." In 1995 the people held a referendum and voted to become part an associated state of the Australia and New Zealand Commonwealth. Although parts of western Alaska joined the USSR and became the Alaskan autonomous territory.
- British Columbia- The only city destroyed was Vancouver. British Columbia was the only Canadian province we traveled to. In April 1985, the nation of Victoria was formed encompassing the west coast of British Columbia and parts of northern Washington. The nation manly is comprised of social political party's, with a majority of the population belonging to Social Survival Party.
- California- Los Angeles, San Diego, San Jose, San Francisco, and Sacramento were destroyed. California had the largest population out of any U.S. state, and still does. The state was one of the hardest hit, the population went from about 24,000,000 to 5,000,000, and almost half of the surviving population is located outside of any national territory. What some people call the "lucky area" which was northern California, became part of Municipal States of the Pacific, along with southern Oregon as part of a nation building project. In central California, nine surviving counties managed to recreate the Californian Republic. A group of Native Americans located in the Santa Ynez reservation, eventually united the county of Santa Barbara and formed the Chumash Republic. Santa Cruz, which was called one of the most dangerous areas in the United States eventually formed a fascist imperial dictatorship, primarily bent on raiding for slavery. The three largest cities of Ventura County have recently united to form a collective of city-states.
- Hawaii- Kaula, Ni'Ihau, Kaua'i, Oahu were destroyed. The isle of Hawaii where one of the hardest areas hit during the doomsday event, mainly due to the high military presence in the area. Shortly after Doomsday socialist rioting gripped the country as the landowners and other leaders attempted to establish there own governments. These governments did not last long and the country soon fell into anarchy once more. Now more recently Hawaii has become a associated state in the Australia and New Zealand Commonwealth, and now the country seems a bit more prosperous.
- Nevada- With only Las Vegas, and some military targets in the south destroyed, Nevada has grown up around the former resort area around Lake Tahoe. Though there are border disputes in the outer counties of the former state, the government has established itself as a regional survivor. The nation-state calls itself the Sierra Navada Union and incorporates a little over half of the former state as well as the region along the eastern slope of the Sierra Nevada mountains (some formerly within the US state of California).
- Northern Idaho- Boise was the only city destroyed. But the state was divided for years between interests in the Provisional United States, Utah, and gangs of white supremists. When the state was liberated by Utah and the PUS, though, the "panhandle" of the north became the state of Lincoln incorporated into the PUS.
- Oregon- Portland was destroyed. Oregon was one of the least affected states; as a result, many refugees from northwestern Nevada, and southwestern Idaho moved into Oregon. Some time after Doomsday, in association with the ANZC and counties of northern California, the state became a founding member of the Municipal States of the Pacific. Two other survivor states, the Free State of Oregon and the Republic of Astoria have established themselves as well following a civil war that resulted in the increasingly authoritarian pre-doomsday state government being forced into the northwestern corner of the state.
- Washington- Seattle, Bremerton, Tacoma and Vancouver were destroyed. The former U.S. state of Washington was hit hard during Doomsday, with most of the nuclear strikes occurring around Puget Sound. The San Juan islands witnessed most of the destruction of Washington and British Columbia, and remains one of the few areas along the coast not incorporated into the Commonwealth of Victoria. Some areas on the British Columbian border were formed into the Washington Protectorate and later became part of Victoria in 1988. In the interior, the towns around Pasco became a "free state" - the nation state known as the Pasco Free State.
Some of the earliest known forms of government where founded only as early as 1987, primarily in Alaska. The APA established a government there but it eventually failed and now there is a more stable government in power.
Even earlier than the governments in Alaska, the former province of British Columbia was able to establish a working government in 1985, and expanded southward as early as 1988, and as of now it is analyzed that Victoria may have the most stable government in the region to date.
The Chumash Republics first government was Totalitarian kingdom, ruled by an oppressor named Matin Valen, the government was formed in 1995, who only held power in his government for at least four months. The country descended into anarchy with two factions waring for power, the civil war in the country lasted until the year 1999. In the year 2000, a communistic/democratic constitution was drafted. The nation today is suffering from population growth, and a greatly increasing homeless rate, some political scientists say that it is possible, that by the 2025 the Chumash Republic may be forced to expand its borders to encompass all of Monterrey.
The Municipal States of the Pacific is a newly formed country on the pacific coast, formed as a nation building project by the ANZC and SAC in 2006 from a loose coalition of city-states. Dissent amongst the city-states on the future form of the MSP has hindered development, but despite this the MSP is continually growing to encompass more and more regions of Oregon and northern California.
When we traveled to the Republic of San Juan, a group of islands in upstate Washington, we found that the country had established close ties with the Commonwealth of Victoria, though recent immigration and cultural differences has kept it from being absorbed by the larger state. Going through census records we learned that very few people have ever left the country permanently after doomsday. Although they appear to have good trade relations with the MSP, they are almost entirely self sufficient aside from oil and natural gases.
Victoria is the only form of Canadian government left on the pacific coast. The west coast of Canada was one of the least affected regions of the country, making it a prominent area for a Canadian survivor nation. Since its formation Victoria has expanded massively encompassing good portions of British Columbia, and parts of northern Washington.
Santa Cruz is a ruthless nation built on fascist ideology and oppressive slavery. It frequently attacks the MSP and Chumash Republics kidnapping citizens and forcing them into lives of labor, and poverty. The MSP does not have much of a military and therefore can not defend themselves as well as Chumash. The nation is feared and hated seeing trade restrictions and political sanctions.
Ventura is the newest country formed, so far it has become one of the poorest, and most poverty stricken countries on the former U.S. west coast. The country is a collective of three city-states the city of Ventura, Oxnard and Port Hueneme. The area has no resources to produce and trade, so they raid other nations to for food, luxuries, and other goods.
Northern Idaho was a collection of small city-states that is now a part of the Provisional United States of America. They have a small population, which actually makes it easier for them to settle disputes. Although are part of the PUSA and the North American Union, the consider themselves more of a territory.
Alaska is divided between two powerful countries, which make up the Alaskan Free State (ANZC), and the Alaskan Autonomous Territory (USSR). The region is frequently disputed between the two countries and an agreement may not come any time soon
This is currently known regarding the Pacific Coast.
Several fully functioning nations were discovered/incorporated by WCRB in the past year.
- The Chumash Republic, with its capital Shalawa, formerly the city of Santa Barbara.
- The Commonwealth of Victoria, with its capital the city of Victoria.
- The Municipal States of the Pacific, is a loose collection of city-states, with no definite capital
- The Free State of Alaska, with its capital Juneau, it is an associated state of the ANZC.
- Astoria, a small militant republic located on the mouth of the Columbia River.
- The Free State of Oregon, an independent state consisting of most of former Oregon State.
Some other notable countries include:
- Santa Cruz a slave state that is bent only on raiding other countries.
- Ventura a newly formed and incredibly poor country bent on raiding.
- Alaskan Autonomous Territory a territory of the USSR.
The state of the region has already been explained. More details are forthcoming in an expanded report to be released in 2011, but these in brief are our conclusions and recommendations:
- The region, thought to be lawless and barren, is to the contrary inhabited and full of life. The population of course is significantly less than pre-Doomsday, but apart from the bombed areas, plant and animal life is said to be at or less than what it was pre-Doomsday but still flourishes.
- Future re-population is expected only in a few areas, while some other places that are experiencing under population, may be absorbed into the overpopulated areas.
- The city-states are all operating at an 18th- or 19th-century Arabic desert marauder standard of living, with only a few having any type of operating electricity or communications.
- Medical facilities and practices have devolved from a 20th-century level. Efforts to upgrade medical services to a 20th century level must be a priority.
- Efforts to improve water have increased greatly, from the early twentieth century. Efforts to provide clean water is a top priority.
- Electricity must take a high priority as well, and be ongoing to the other efforts.
- It would be best if this effort were headed up by area nation states, those who are League of Nations members and those who are not. Whether this can occur will depend on negotiations between the LoN and its member states and non-members.
World Census and Reclamation Bureau
KSBY news studio
San Luis Obispo, Chumash