|‹ 2004 2012 › ›|
|United States presidential election, 2008|
|November 2, 2008|
|Nominee||John McCain||Dennis Kucinich|
|Running mate||Ronald Paul||Hillary Clinton|
|States carried||50 + D.C.||Ohio|
|Presidential election results map. Red denotes states won by McCain/Paul (50 + D.C.), Blue denotes Kucinich/Clinton (1).|
President before election
The United States presidential election of 2008 was held on Tuesday November 4, 2008 to elect the 44th president of the United States of America. It was the 56th quadrennial election for President and Vice President. This was the first presidential election to feature Puerto Rico as a state.
- Incumbent John McCain
- Governor Bobby Jindal of Louisiana
- Governor Mike Huckabee of Arkansas
- Senator Fred Thompson of Louisiana
- Governor Mitt Romney of Massachussetts
- Congressman Dennis Kucinich of Ohio
- Senator Hillary Clinton of New York
- Senator Mike Gravel of Alaska
- Senator Daniel Akaka of Hawaii
- Ralph Nader
- Jesse Ventura
Key Campaign Issues
Because Abortion, Recession, Gun Control, Iraq and Afghanistan are practically non-issues ATL, these take their place:
McCain: reduce dependency on hydrocarbons via the Eisenhower plan.
Kucinich: Immediate withdrawal from Venezuela, with UN administration.
Kucinich: continue 6 party talks and get a referendum for reunification.
Kucinich: Kucinich favored having good relations with Russia, and supported disarmament conferences with the Russian government as well as abandoning the NATO invitations to Georgia and the Ukraine.
McCain: McCain has been one of the foremost critics of Russian President Vladimir Putin, and has said that Putin is "going to cause a lot of difficulties" and that he is "trying to reassert the Russian empire." He supports the policy of a making a strong stance against Russian aggression.
McCain Limit trade with China, and return production to the United States.
Kucinich: legalize all drugs.
McCain: increase mandatory sentences for dealers.
War on Terror
Kucinich Drawndown of Troops and increase special forces operations in Iraq and Afghanistan.
McCain Continue the policies of the Bush administration, with increased levels of ground soldiers.
Kucinich: Open Cuban Relationship for trade and tourism.
- McCain: Only if Cuba is willing to give up Communism and have a more demacratic form of goverment then I would consider more friendly relationship with Cuba.
- After McCain and Kucinich were confirmed in St. Paul and Denver respectively, the main election had begun. From the start, everyone knew John McCain had it in the bag at the first debate. But the people would find out on November 4.
- McCain's lead over Kucinich skyrockets when Kucinich says on CNN that Hugo Chavez was "very democratic. A man of the people. Someone that McCain isn't."
- The Troop Reduction Act ordered withdrawal from Venezuela by May 2010.
The results were in and John McCain was confirmed in the biggest landslide in American history, which was even bigger than in 1984.